Is it possible that the cricket ate the scorpion?

Mats

Arachnopeon
Hello.

Last night, I tucked my in scorpion (not-so-aptly-named Leonidas) and threw a cricket in there as well, although I did not expect him to eat it, as the cricket was roughly twice his size, but I didn't have any smaller insects available just then. But, as I checked in there today, Leonidas has vanished completely and the cricket lies dead.

Now, I am not exactly sure what the technical term for Leonidas' race is, but at the store, in Melbourne, Australia, they called him/her a "Flinder's Range Scorpion". Is it at all possible that the cricket had a go at him and devoured him/her? I know that they eat each other sometimes, after all. I know that escape is definitely not an option, and I have searched every nook and crevice, filtered the soil, everything! And I'm just a complete loss here as to what could have happened...

Thank you for taking the time to read, at least, and hopefully, you can shed some light on this strange occurrence for me.

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well. First, escape is always an option. I have a wee little scorp and I thought there was absolutely no way of an escape whatsoever. But what does he do? Escape of course. I too, thought he got eaten, by something, I don't know. But my cousin found him hiding on the underside of a coconut in one of my T's cages. I have no clue how he got there but he did.

Also, I suppose it would be possible for the cricket to do that, though I find it unlikely. And even if the cricket did eat your scorp, I doubt the cricket would have devoured it completely. So do a thorough check, and I hope you find him safe and sound :D

Mats

Arachnopeon
Thank you, kind lady, I hope so, too!

Although, I must say I doubt it, for even if Leonidas did escape, there are too many places into which he could bolt and never be seen again, such as access to piping/sewers, cracks in foundation, etc.

I actually really miss him/her... :(

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Scientific name for said scorpion is most likely Urodacus elongatus. Although i might be wrong..... Perhaps Mr Newton will clarify if i am.

scorpians111

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hmmmm ye it prob did kill the scorp and ate it but noway it can eat all of it you be able to find a leg or 2 and the cricket is dead that means if there was a fight your scorp won

Uroctonus

Arachnopeon
I've heard of very small scorpions climbing the sealant they use to hold the glass panels of aquariums/terreriums together and escaping that way. Could this have happened?
Scorpions are some of the better natural escape artists (depending on the species). As has been mentioned, a cricket could do in a small enough scorpion, but it probably wouldn't eat all of it. How big was the scorp?

Mats

Arachnopeon
It was perhaps a centimeter and a half long, so pretty small still, considering its species. And yeah, I suppose it's possible if they are as good as escapnig as you say...

Poor Leonidas... He's so small and helpless. Probably won't last long out in the big world! :(