Is it possible for a tarantula to molt two times in a row?

alexthedane

Arachnopeon
Hello!

I was wondering if it's possible for a newly molted tarantula to molt after it just molted?

The reason I am asking this question is because my Brachypelma Hamorii just molted in its new setup - However it doesn't seem that it's eating and got a big black spot on its abdomen - It got difficult climbing on the sides which is plastic (if that got something to say?)

It's around 2.5 cm..

I know it will eat when it's hungry, but the abdomen just seems small (Maybe it's because of its suddenly long legs :p)

I can't get a proper picture right now because it's in an awkward position and the abdomen is pushing against the back of its hide..

Thanks in advanced :)

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
Possible, but not likely. There's an idea that tarantulas might be able to "rush" their next molt if they sustain damage during the first molt. I've seen that in my own collection, with a tiny P. sazimai sling. Molted, wouldn't eat after a week, and a few days later molted again. Eats perfectly fine now, and has molted again without issue.

It doesn't sound like yours will molt again, though. The "big black spot" is likely their patch of urticating hairs, which is present on freshly molted tarantulas. And loss of grip can be a premolt sign, but it happens when the tiny hairs on their footpads get worn down between molts. Doesn't seem like that's what's happening here. I wouldn't worry, just keep a water dish available and offer food every 3-5 days or so until it eats!

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
It possible it has happened although not often, but it’s really hard to give you any answers without a photo.

byt just because it’s not eating after a molt doesn’t mean it’s going to molt again , it might just not be ready to eat or interested, this is normal behavior. How soon did you try feeding, only feed when the fangs are fully hardened and black.

alexthedane

Arachnopeon
Possible, but not likely. There's an idea that tarantulas might be able to "rush" their next molt if they sustain damage during the first molt. I've seen that in my own collection, with a tiny P. sazimai sling. Molted, wouldn't eat after a week, and a few days later molted again. Eats perfectly fine now, and has molted again without issue.

It doesn't sound like yours will molt again, though. The "big black spot" is likely their patch of urticating hairs, which is present on freshly molted tarantulas. And loss of grip can be a premolt sign, but it happens when the tiny hairs on their footpads get worn down between molts. Doesn't seem like that's what's happening here. I wouldn't worry, just keep a water dish available and offer food every 3-5 days or so until it eats!
It possible it has happened although not often, but it’s really hard to give you any answers without a photo.

byt just because it’s not eating after a molt doesn’t mean it’s going to molt again , it might just not be ready to eat or interested, this is normal behavior. How soon did you try feeding, only feed when the fangs are fully hardened and black.

I did try and feed after a week - So I didn't do it too soon..

Thanks for all the replies - Probably me just being a nervous spider owner :p

It's probably doing fine and ended up on my hand too and didn't want to go back in the enclosure.. Probably because of my warm hands :p

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Yes.

My 4.5” Grammostola pulchra molted twice, three months apart from one to another.

After two years of no molting, it decided to molt twice back to back.

May 21, 2018
August 08, 2018

281FA92C-7531-4B97-8EF7-636988138CFC.jpeg

Last edited:

Envoirment

Arachnosquire
I had a P. cambridgei sling moult twice in a short span. Its first moult went really badly and it lost a bunch of legs/got stuck so I had to manually remove the moult. I managed to place what was left of the sling onto a prekilled cricket and it stuck its fangs in and ate it. It moulted the day after again. Although that situation is different to yours.

My thinking is it's just being a normal Brachypelma species - being fussy with food. It'll likely eat within another week or two if you keep presenting it with food. :)