is it possible for a female centipede to bear unfertilized eggs?

syiware

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hey, i have a question now.

my one friend has a pair of haiti giants(subspinipes).

today the 15cm-female bore the eggs. (it has been kept for over 5 months by him)

but the male is only 12cm-individual. i'm not sure he's an adult.

i think if he is an adult enough to mate with a female, it must be over 15cms as a subspinipes.

so i think the eggs are unfertilized. but absolutely i'm not sure.

who can answer me this question? :?

caco? steven? or somebody else? please..

take care..

-locke

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i think pedes are mature at smaller sizes than ppl think. they probably mature at smaller than what their description has listed as their size. haitians might very well be mature at 12-13 cm.

i have had WC S. polymorpha drop viable eggs at ~7.5-14cm so there is a big range. proportionally S. alternans could be mature at like 10-12 cm i would think

syiware

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i think pedes are mature at smaller sizes than ppl think. they probably mature at smaller than what their description has listed as their size. haitians might very well be mature at 12-13 cm.

i have had WC S. polymorpha drop viable eggs at ~7.5-14cm so there is a big range. proportionally S. alternans could be mature at like 10-12 cm i would think
so you mean a female centipede never bear unfertilized eggs?

i saw female crickets laid eggs which are unfertilized before. so i asked a question about the case of female centipedes.

the point of my question is that.

-locke

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Also remember that these Scolos are known the retain sperm for LONG periods, and across more than one molt. This female may have already been fertile. Supposedly they only lay once a year.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
so you mean a female centipede never bear unfertilized eggs?

i saw female crickets laid eggs which are unfertilized before. so i asked a question about the case of female centipedes.

the point of my question is that.

-locke
i think they can lay unfertilized eggs. i would not assume this to be the case for your friend, however

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Also remember that these Scolos are known the retain sperm for LONG periods, and across more than one molt. This female may have already been fertile. Supposedly they only lay once a year.
i believe i read that african S. morsitans can do two litters a year and reach maturity in < 2 years

Greg Pelka

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've got a WC female of Ethmostigmus sp. She made 27plings, and she hadn't been with any other specimen since a year. Are your friend's pedes WC or CB ? And is he keeping them together?

Greg

Ps: As I remember, Steven has got a centipede which lays eggs 3x a year (sic!).

syiware

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've got a WC female of Ethmostigmus sp. She made 27plings, and she hadn't been with any other specimen since a year. Are your friend's pedes WC or CB ? And is he keeping them together?

Greg

Ps: As I remember, Steven has got a centipede which lays eggs 3x a year (sic!).
yes... the female is WC individual and she's kept for over 5 months in the cage. i don't know how long is that period of being pregnant of subspinipes female. of course they have been kept together in a cage.

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've read up to two years, and have heard of even longer!

bengerno

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi,

As I know It is possible to bear unfertilized eggs. However I am almost sure If It is a WC individual...they are fertile. Good luck! ;)