Is it okay to put a pair of scorpions in one enclosure? (male and female)

Adra

Arachnopeon
Hello, currently looking to buy a pair of scorpions male and female, just a question to prevent any unwanted deaths of such beautiful creatures.

Is it okay if I house a female and a male scorpion together?
The genus I'm interested in adding to my invert collection is H Cyaneus and H Longimanus. I was thinking an enclosure for each pair, or should I separate them?

Thank you :D

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
unless you’re doing some monitored mating i would say no - the aforementioned species aren’t communal (as far as i know anyway) and you’d be running the risk of cannibalism

Adra

Arachnopeon
unless you’re doing some monitored mating i would say no - the aforementioned species aren’t communal and you’d be running the risk of cannibalism
I see, so It's better to get one of each then instead of the aforementioned pair?

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
I see, so It's better to get one of each then instead of the aforementioned pair?
I would say so, unless you set up 4 separate enclosures for each specimen; i‘ve heard of people keeping H. Longimanus communally but those also didn’t seem to go well

Adra

Arachnopeon
I would say so, unless you set up 4 separate enclosures for each specimen
hmm, I'm not looking to breed, maybe in the future but I just want to add them to my collection.

Is a 36x24x16 plastic tub with moderate ventilation enough to house them?

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
hmm, I'm not looking to breed, maybe in the future but I just want to add them to my collection.

Is a 36x24x16 plastic tub with moderate ventilation enough to house them?
that’s p big so i would say so - i think what would be most important is providing ample food to stave off cannibalism and providing multiple hiding spaces in case they want to section off territory or something

Adra

Arachnopeon
that’s p big so i would say so - i think what would be most important is providing ample food to stave off cannibalism and providing multiple hiding spaces in case they want to section off territory or something
Oh, I see, so the 36x24x16 would be enough for individual or is that too big? I think I might just get one of each and see how I care for them first.

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
Oh, I see, so the 36x24x16 would be enough for individual or is that too big? I think I might just get one of each and see how I care for them first.
for an individual specimen of the aforementioned species that would be p big - i’ve kept them in a 10 gallon tank (20" x 10" x 12") before with great success - i would assume it wouldn’t be that much different; they’ll probably gravitate to a favored corner and set up camp there - the rest will be roaming/hunting space

Adra

Arachnopeon
for an individual specimen of the aforementioned species that would be p big - i’ve kept them in a 10 gallon tank (20" x 10" x 12") before with great success - i would assume it wouldn’t be that much different; they’ll probably gravitate to a favored corner and set up camp there - the rest will be roaming/hunting space
Oh haha, seems like were talking about different measurements, I meant 36x24x16 in cm. I think the breeder sells juveniles, around 7-8cm, for the time being, would the size of the mentioned enclosure be enough?

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
I think @Adra is talking in centimeters and @YungRasputin in inches. The size in cm you mentioned is allright, but I would personally go a little bigger. Meaning more floorspace and especially higher, so you’d have more hight for a thick layer of substrate for the scorpion to burrow in.

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
I think @Adra is talking in centimeters and @YungRasputin in inches. The size in cm you mentioned is allright, but I would personally go a little bigger. Meaning more floorspace and especially higher, so you’d have more hight for a thick layer of substrate for the scorpion to burrow in.
ja i was talking in inches, if measurements were in cm then agreed

Adra

Arachnopeon
I can't seem to find plastic containers with a larger area for floorspace, without going overbudget, however, I found a 36x24x24, in terms of height an extra 8cm. Would that be better?

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello, currently looking to buy a pair of scorpions male and female, just a question to prevent any unwanted deaths of such beautiful creatures.

Is it okay if I house a female and a male scorpion together?
The genus I'm interested in adding to my invert collection is H Cyaneus and H Longimanus. I was thinking an enclosure for each pair, or should I separate them?

Thank you :D
Whereabouts in the world are you located? Neither Javanimetrus cyaneus or Heterometrus longimanus are common in the pet trade much outside of their natural range.

In any case, both species can usually be kept communally without issue (as with virtually all members of Heterometrinae).

Adra

Arachnopeon
Whereabouts in the world are you located? Neither Javanimetrus cyaneus or Heterometrus longimanus are common in the pet trade much outside of their natural range.

In any case, both species can usually be kept communally without issue (as with virtually all members of Heterometrinae).
Perfect! I'll just go ahead and buy one of each for the learning experience.

What size of enclosure will I need to look at if I decide to add another individual to live communally? (1 Female 1 Male)
Is it also possible to add an individual once my original has settled? I heard they're quite territorial.

Last edited:

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
If you want to add a second one later, you’ll definitely need a bigger enclosure though.

Adra

Arachnopeon
If you want to add a second one later, you’ll definitely need a bigger enclosure though.
yep, definitely, just wondering what the minimum dimensions would be.

on a side note, I got the H Cyaneus today and it's doing well, but it seems to like the corner where I slightly raised the level of the substrate in order to create some depth and also provide a foundation for the bark I used for it's hide. Is this completely normal? I've heard that scorpions tend to stay in one corner until they're used to their environment?