Is it ok?

Paulhodgkinson

Arachnopeon
im on limited space and thinking of trading in my adult (unsexed) a. Avic, he is a pet silken tube. I understand that many of you guys have pet holes and similar but all my (huge amount of 4) Ts are displays. The avic is in perfect condition but I just like display Ts that's all. I was thinking of a p. Cam to replace it. Any thoughts? A T is for life not just for Christmas, or the like?

In the regards to p. Cam..... My other Ts are:
A Geniculata
C. Cyaneopubescens
B. Smithi

Paulhodgkinson

Arachnopeon
im on limited space and thinking of trading in my adult (unsexed) a. Avic, he is a pet silken tube. I understand that many of you guys have pet holes and similar but all my (huge amount of 4) Ts are displays. The avic is in perfect condition but I just like display Ts that's all. I was thinking of a p. Cam to replace it. Any thoughts? A T is for life not just for Christmas, or the like?

In the regards to p. Cam..... My other Ts are:
A Geniculata
C. Cyaneopubescens
B. Smithi
Thanks in advance

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
psalmopoeus is a amazing genus, you wont regret it. i like Avics but if you dont want it anymore and dont have the space(?) for 4 Ts, theres nothing wrong with trading it in for something else so to speak. just be warned, Psalmos are very fast and can be quite defensive. i never had issues with my irminia with transferring but thats just me.

they can hide quite alot, but i see my psalmos daily. my sling is literally out nearly all the time and my female is regularly out on the side of her tank.

Paulhodgkinson

Arachnopeon
psalmopoeus is a amazing genus, you wont regret it. i like Avics but if you dont want it anymore and dont have the space(?) for 4 Ts, theres nothing wrong with trading it in for something else so to speak. just be warned, Psalmos are very fast and can be quite defensive. i never had issues with my irminia with transferring but thats just me.

they can hide quite alot, but i see my psalmos daily. my sling is literally out nearly all the time and my female is regularly out on the side of her tank.
Thanks for the reply, think I'm ok for a psalmo, no arrogance,(no interest in OW, got 3 young boys, I'm a long time lurker on here :) )Just think I am. With the space issue...as I stated they are display Ts. I unfortunately don't have a room dedicated to them but we are moving house soon and looking for something bigger which will hopefully include a 'study' as a T/ man den :)

Paulhodgkinson

Arachnopeon

But I do appreciate the advice and the mention of my kids means that people on this forum think it isn't suitable I will 100% go with not getting one. I would rather go with experience than my kids suffer it.

Paulhodgkinson

Arachnopeon
Just to add... I treat my b. Smithi like it is a pokie. Ultra caution all the time as my wife would flip her tits if they escaped and would move out. (I could leave the lids off I suppose :) )

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Thanks for the reply, think I'm ok for a psalmo, no arrogance,(no interest in OW, got 3 young boys, I'm a long time lurker on here :) )Just think I am. With the space issue...as I stated they are display Ts. I unfortunately don't have a room dedicated to them but we are moving house soon and looking for something bigger which will hopefully include a 'study' as a T/ man den :)
go for it. their bites arent that bad if worst comes to worst and one of your boys get bit. i'd still keep the avic and get a P cam.. what do you mean by display Ts?

Paulhodgkinson

Arachnopeon
go for it. their bites arent that bad if worst comes to worst and one of your boys get bit. i'd still keep the avic and get a P cam.. what do you mean by display Ts?
T's that like to show themselves off, don't hide in a hole.

Paulhodgkinson

Arachnopeon
By display, I also mean that they are in my kitchen in their enclosures. Not a massive amount of space as it is. although I'm looking into acrylic websites that cut to size and I can make my own. Then I can reduce the size of my enclosures as they are too big for the Ts I have anyway.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Tarantulas don't bond with their owners the way a cat or dog will. As long as you're selling/trading it to someone with the ability to take care of it, I don't see anything wrong with trading a T you're not satisfied with for one that you want. I recently traded away a MM L. parahybana for no other reason than that he hooked out. Hated to let him go since he was a beautiful spider - but the guy I gave him to has a female and can try to breed him (assuming he doesn't get eaten in the attempt). If I'd kept him, he would have died a virgin.

I have the same Ts you do and they're all pretty good display spiders - even the A. avic who stubbornly refuses to make any sort of web at all. (My two C. cyanopubescens, on the other hand, are crazy webbers and spend most of their time down their silk tubes, as does my Pokie.) In addition to those, some of my best display spiders are a couple of Pamphbeteus (P. nigricolor and P. sp. Ecuador "purple bloom") - they're aggressive feeders and pretty much always out in the open. My G. pulchripes also spends most of her time out and about (she's webbed up the opening to her enclosure - with herself on the outside.)

Paulhodgkinson

Arachnopeon
Tarantulas don't bond with their owners the way a cat or dog will. As long as you're selling/trading it to someone with the ability to take care of it, I don't see anything wrong with trading a T you're not satisfied with for one that you want. I recently traded away a MM L. parahybana for no other reason than that he hooked out. Hated to let him go since he was a beautiful spider - but the guy I gave him to has a female and can try to breed him (assuming he doesn't get eaten in the attempt). If I'd kept him, he would have died a virgin.

I have the same Ts you do and they're all pretty good display spiders - even the A. avic who stubbornly refuses to make any sort of web at all. (My two C. cyanopubescens, on the other hand, are crazy webbers and spend most of their time down their silk tubes, as does my Pokie.) In addition to those, some of my best display spiders are a couple of Pamphbeteus (P. nigricolor and P. sp. Ecuador "purple bloom") - they're aggressive feeders and pretty much always out in the open. My G. pulchripes also spends most of her time out and about (she's webbed up the opening to her enclosure - with herself on the outside.)
Haha to that last sentence.
I won't give the avic to anyone... I got it from the local pet shop as it was in a horizontal enclosure on just soil. That's it. I'd love to be able to sex it, or get it sexed, but the two moults I have been able to retrieve, it has eaten the abdomen. The one other has been pushed and webbed into its funnel and I don't want to upset the T by trying to retrieve it. I'd rather keep it than give it away to someone that wouldn't take care of it.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Haha to that last sentence.
I won't give the avic to anyone... I got it from the local pet shop as it was in a horizontal enclosure on just soil. That's it. I'd love to be able to sex it, or get it sexed, but the two moults I have been able to retrieve, it has eaten the abdomen. The one other has been pushed and webbed into its funnel and I don't want to upset the T by trying to retrieve it. I'd rather keep it than give it away to someone that wouldn't take care of it.
post a ventral photo on this thread and one of us could prob sex it. provided its not blurry or anything.

Paulhodgkinson

Arachnopeon
image.jpeg
post a ventral photo on this thread and one of us could prob sex it. provided its not blurry or anything.
I'd love to be able to post one but it is really a pet silk tube. ... But while we are on it, I'll hijack my own thread and put a couple of pics of my GBB, I'm not the best at ventral sexing and I know GBBs can be notoriously difficult ... I know the pic isn't great at all but I'll take my chances :)