Is it ok to not want OWs ever?

WolvesInSpaceMarines

Arachnopeon
Still new here and new to the hobby. If this is inappropriate, or in an inappropriate place, please remove it.

I've only recently started my collection. I have 3 slings now with 4 on the way and that is going to be it for a long while until I move into a larger place and have more disposable income. I also want to make sure that I am not jumping in too fast and that I have time to care for all of them. I see on here and in other forums, on YouTube, etc. about how "you're going to want OWs eventually", and I just think "No. No I'm not." There's nothing against them of course, and many are breathtaking, but I don't want to deal with the speed, the defensiveness and the worry. There's also really none out there that make me go "yes, I'd like to own one at some point." I feel like there's enough variety (in terms of temperament, looks and husbandry) in the NW realm to keep me pretty entertained for pretty much my entire life, but I always see people saying that "X" OW is essential to everyone's collection, and then I think that I have the wrong idea. I know that I shouldn't care about what other people think and that I'm my own individual with my own goals, but I am human and am thus sometimes still prone to care anyway lol. So is it ok to never really get into OWs? Is there anyone else out there that feels the same? Again sorry to sound like a whiny child. I just think too much sometimes lol. Thanks in advance for any insight that you more-experienced keepers give me.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I’m with you, I'm really enjoying my New Worlds. There's really no reason for me to make the jump, and 2 huge reasons for me not too.

One reason is 6 years old and the other reason just turned 2 today. :cool:

I’m very content with my current position. Maybe someday...maybe not.

Last edited:

Poonjab

Arachnoking
It’s ok to not want one. There are people who are only into arboreals. Comes to preferance.

WolvesInSpaceMarines

Arachnopeon
I’m with you, I'm really enjoying my New Worlds. There's really no reason for me to make the jump, and 2 huge reasons for me not too.

I’m very content with my current position. Maybe someday...maybe not.
Yeah that's definitely me. I guess that it's good for a noob like me to know that certain species are off limits. Keeps me from getting over my head heheh. My other reason is that, while the T won't kill me with it's bite, my dog likes to try and eat spiders, so... If that thing ever gets out, I could have a serious situation on my hands.

It’s ok to not want one. There are people who are only into arboreals. Comes to preferance.
Yeah I get that. I really like the terrestrial Ts and arboreals don't really do it for me either. Sheesh I'm picky lol.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I’m actually thinking of getting into arboreals in a year or so. I understand that the arboreals are more sensitive than the terrestrials...Avicularia metallica, Avicularia purpurea, Avicularia minitrix, and Caribena versicolor are the ones that have caught my eye.

I went to a Repticon over the weekend and a vender was showing me an Avicularia species that turns bright metallic red as a adult...it was eye-popping to say the least.

But for right now I'm loving my terrestrials.

Last edited:

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
There's absolutely nothing wrong with never wanting to get into OWs, it's not like they're special among tarantulas or anything. They're just generally faster with a more defensive disposition and hotter venom, and if there aren't any species that appeal to you as a must-have then you should feel no pressure to get one. I WILL add in that since you're so new to the hobby, you never know if you'll change you mind down the road, as I've seen with quite a few people who got into the hobby thinking they'd never want to keep an OW species. But even if you don't ever end up desiring to add an OW to your collection, no one should give you any flak for it. And if they do, they're stinky.

WolvesInSpaceMarines

Arachnopeon
There's absolutely nothing wrong with never wanting to get into OWs, it's not like they're special among tarantulas or anything. They're just generally faster with a more defensive disposition and hotter venom, and if there aren't any species that appeal to you as a must-have then you should feel no pressure to get one. I WILL add in that since you're so new to the hobby, you never know if you'll change you mind down the road, as I've seen with quite a few people who got into the hobby thinking they'd never want to keep an OW species. But even if you don't ever end up desiring to add an OW to your collection, no one should give you any flak for it. And if they do, they're stinky.
Yeah I'm trying to remind myself of that. And yeah, I'm definitely trying to keep an open mind about it all. For example, the M. balfouri is interesting. I think the idea of a communal enclosure is intriguing.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Yeah I'm trying to remind myself of that. And yeah, I'm definitely trying to keep an open mind about it all. For example, the M. balfouri is interesting. I think the idea of a communal enclosure is intriguing.
I think eventually you will get an OW. Keep in mind that there are species that are more docile than others and are a good intro into OW’s. I personally feel as if OW’s get hyped up a little bit too much and it scares people. On one hand this is a good thing, because it detours people with zero T husbandry experience. But if you treat them with more caution and understand that the consequences are much higher, you shouldn’t have any issues. It’s just that there are too many people who lack this common sense. Now... I’m not saying to go buy and OW. I think it’s important you get comfortable with other species of NW’s first, but don’t get turned off to the idea down the line when you’re more confident in your abilities. They really are an awesome addition to any collection.

Last edited:

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
M. balfouri are definitely a treat, I just have my one female and she's lovely. But yeah, you're still pretty dang fresh into the hobby. I'd say it's a good thing you're not interested in OWs for the time being, since it's a lot easier to get in over your head with them when you don't have experience with more testy/quick Ts. There are plenty of NW species that can give you a taste of what it's like to keep Old Worlds - Psalmopoeus species are what I like to describe as OW tarantulas in a NW packaging. Phormictopus can have quite an attitude as well, and there are NWs who pack some OW-level speed such as N. incei and Tappies.

There's no rush, take your time feeling out the T keeping experience and finding what it is you really enjoy with keeping Ts. If that's sticking with the much more easy-going NW terrestrials, you still have PLENTY of very appealing options to choose from. But if you're feeling comfortable and wanting to try something new, such as venturing into arboreals, don't be afraid to. You'd be surprised how often the species we don't expect to care for become a favorite in the collection. :)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
No one cares what you keep honestly.

OWs are overhyped. They arent demons. Many of my nws are worse and give me more trouble than any ows.

WolvesInSpaceMarines

Arachnopeon
I think eventually you will get an OW. Keep in mind that there are species that are more docile than others and are a good intro into OW’s. I personally feel as if OW’s get hyped up a little bit too much and it scares people. On one hand this is a good thing, because it detours people with zero T husbandry experience. But if you treat them with more caution and understand that the consequences are much higher, you shouldn’t have any issues. It’s just that there are too many people who lack this common sense. Now... I’m not saying to go by and OW. I think it’s important you get comfortable with other species of NW’s first, but don’t get turned off to the idea down the line when you’re more confident in your abilities. They really are an awesome addition to any collection.
I have noticed that, when watching YouTube videos (Tom's Big Spiders and the_tarantula_collective exclusively), they have mentioned a few that were good beginner OWs to start with after getting comfortable. I tend to forget that not all OWs = Pokie, Orange Bitey Thing and the livid devil itself lol.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I have noticed that, when watching YouTube videos (Tom's Big Spiders and the_tarantula_collective exclusively), they have mentioned a few that were good beginner OWs to start with after getting comfortable. I tend to forget that not all OWs = Pokie, Orange Bitey Thing and the livid devil itself lol.
Ironically, my 20+ Poecilotheria or however many i have are some of my calmest spiders. Careful what you accept as fact in this hobby ;)

WolvesInSpaceMarines

Arachnopeon
M. balfouri are definitely a treat, I just have my one female and she's lovely. But yeah, you're still pretty dang fresh into the hobby. I'd say it's a good thing you're not interested in OWs for the time being, since it's a lot easier to get in over your head with them when you don't have experience with more testy/quick Ts. There are plenty of NW species that can give you a taste of what it's like to keep Old Worlds - Psalmopoeus species are what I like to describe as OW tarantulas in a NW packaging. Phormictopus can have quite an attitude as well, and there are NWs who pack some OW-level speed such as N. incei and Tappies.

There's no rush, take your time feeling out the T keeping experience and finding what it is you really enjoy with keeping Ts. If that's sticking with the much more easy-going NW terrestrials, you still have PLENTY of very appealing options to choose from. But if you're feeling comfortable and wanting to try something new, such as venturing into arboreals, don't be afraid to. You'd be surprised how often the species we don't expect to care for become a favorite in the collection. :)
I've seen both P's recommended as good transitioners, so I think if I do decide that I want to start moving that way, I'll have to keep them in mind. Yeah, three weeks ago, I had zero interest. Then, while looking at dart frog vivarium building tutorials on YouTube, one of Richard's videos kept popping up as a recommendation, so I watched it. And then another. And another. Now I have 7 Ts lol.

Ironically, my 20+ Poecilotheria or however many i have are some of my calmest spiders. Careful what you accept as fact in this hobby ;)
Heheh ain't that the truth. I've already heard some horror stories about people's G. pulchripes turning into an attack machine lol.

Leila

Arachnobaron
Nah, there is nothing wrong with wanting to opt out of owning OWs. Keep the species you want to keep. :)

WolvesInSpaceMarines

Arachnopeon
No one cares what you keep honestly.

OWs are overhyped. They arent demons. Many of my nws are worse and give me more trouble than any ows.
I could see that. Especially the B. vagans, if you have one. I've definitely heard stories about the "evil Brachypelma" heheh.