Is it ok to leave my bugs in a room while it is being painted or is it toxic to them?

Crocodylidae

Arachnosquire
The walls of the room I keep all my bugs in (currently a mantis, roaches, superworms and beetles, if this helps) are soon going to be painted, and I wanted to know if this was somehow toxic for them or if I could just leave their terrariums in the room while we paint and they'll be fine?

Sorry if this does not belong there, I'm not sure where else to ask.​

ecstasi

Arachnopeon
The walls of the room I keep all my bugs in (currently a mantis, roaches, superworms and beetles, if this helps) are soon going to be painted, and I wanted to know if this was somehow toxic for them or if I could just leave their terrariums in the room while we paint and they'll be fine?

i’d suggest you move them to another room, paint can be toxic to humans too so it has the potential to kill them.

Doodlebird

Arachnoknight
I would move them. The fumes aren't great for people, so they will probably hurt your critters.

Crocodylidae

Arachnosquire
Alright, thanks! About how long after can I put them back in the room? I can't move them for a long period of time, would it be ok if it was only a few hours after if I open the window, or should I wait longer?

Doodlebird

Arachnoknight
Alright, thanks! About how long after can I put them back in the room? I can't move them for a long period of time, would it be ok if it was only a few hours after if I open the window, or should I wait longer?
I would personally wait until the paint is fully dried and the room is aired out.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Most wall paint is dry to the touch within a few hours but still produces fumes for a couple of days - to be safe I'd wait at least 48 hours.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince

Buy a water based paint with Low VOC rating. Cover all the enclosures with thick towels, open the windows and you'll be fine. The bugs you mentioned will hardly notice any difference. You could tape the towels to the enclosures to reduce any air ingress as an added bonus.Once in place dampen the towels with a Gentle spraying.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Move them out is by far the most effective and simplest thing to do.

jc55

Arachnoknight
Moving them out and far enough away from any possible fumes is the easiest solution.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Good to hear. I quote from an environmental hazards article.

Among the list of construction materials classified as potentially dangerous to your environment and health, paint ranks high on the list as it produces extraordinary levels of VOC’s (Volatile Organic Compounds) into the air that will leave you with poor indoor air quality and potential health effects from exposure to these hazardous chemicals. Paint comes in a variety of different types such as water-based, latex, acrylic, oil-based, solvent-based, and even zero VOC paint, which can all have different effects on the environment.

Obviously, better safe than sorry.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
Paint or anything with strong fumes is a bad idea around animals. Move to another room and keep it ventilated while drying. I have done some stupid stuff like fermenting soil in my room but I moved my stuff into my room a day after painting and had to sleep on the couch for a couple days because the paint was horrible. Wait until there is no bad smell. Luckily no animals were harmed after I painted but still not a good idea.

khil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd move them out...ever painted? That stuff will make leave you coughing, at best.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Quite a while back the US and Europe banned certain kinds of paints containing nasty solvents. The chemical companies didn't quit making the paints, they just shipped them to third world countries. The commonest paint here is that oil based crap that literally sends you staggering out of the room. When someone is using the stuff on a house you can get whiffs of it a half mile away. Not a good place to keep critters.