Is it normal that position?

JZayn99

Arachnopeon
temperature and humidity are ok so I don't know why my Aphonopelma seemanni acts like this.
I don't handle my ts so I don't think it is stress...
Thanks in advance for the replies

Attachments

jay444

Arachnosquire
temperature and humidity are ok so I don't know why my Aphonopelma seemanni acts like this.
I don't handle my ts so I don't think it is stress...
Thanks in advance for the replies
Hey, this is a stress curl your T is fine. It can be stressed out even if you don't handle, for some individuals, touching the enclosure is enough to stress them out. Just let her be. There is alot to consider to find the source; has she been rehoused recently? Is the plastic flowerpot cut in half to let her burrow? How does the entire enclosure look?

Last edited:

JZayn99

Arachnopeon
Was that t burrowed before the pic?
yes it was 3 days ago, but maybe because humidity was too low, it never burrowed with me

Hey, this is a stress curl your T is fine. It can be stressed out even if you don't handle, for some individuals, touching the enclosure is enough to stress them out. Just let her be.
okay thank u very much, I didn't think to stress a tarantula for that, poor sensitive t, I'll leave her alone for a while

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
Agreed, leave her be, make sure her enclosure is somewhere away from vibration. For a sensitive T, just being somewhere where the floorboards shake when someone walks by, or where large trucks passing may rattle windows, can be enough to make them nervous. Obviously any stereos etc should be kept far away, preferably in another room.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
but maybe because humidity was too low,
That’s not it, it may feel too exposed or has been disturbed by tryiny to take a picture of it. And Disregard humidity, it’s unimportant it’s just something you do not need to worry about or to chase specific percentages.

JZayn99

Arachnopeon
That’s not it, it may feel too exposed or has been disturbed by tryiny to take a picture of it. And Disregard humidity, it’s unimportant it’s just something you do not need to worry about or to chase specific percentages.
Yeah imo humidity is important, but as u say not the exact percentage.

For a sensitive T, just being somewhere where the floorboards shake when someone walks by, or where large trucks passing may rattle windows, can be enough to make them nervous. Obviously any stereos etc should be kept far away, preferably in another room.
there are no noise like this near the spider room, maybe it was me because I opened too often the enclosure.. anyway I'll give y'all updates if it's still stressful, thanks

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Yeah imo humidity is important, but as u say not the exact percentage.
How much experience is that opinion based upon? You just asked if a stress pose was normal, and said that you didn't think it was stressed simply because you don't hold it.

Post the entire enclosure. The flowerpot in there looks way oversized for a hide, and it's the only thing we can see.

Last edited:

JZayn99

Arachnopeon
How much experience is that opinion based upon?
it is base on every care scheet that I saw when I started with ts last year
Pubblica l'intero allegato. Il vaso di fiori lì dentro sembra troppo grande per nascondersi, ed è l'unica cosa che possiamo vedere.
I take these photos just now, she had a lot of substrate, across ventilation and no decorations, anyway she has stopped being in that position

Stop chasing humidity before you kill your T
Sorry I'm trying to learn so how can I kill my t with an humidity constantly at 70%?

Attachments

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Care sheets kill tarantulas, they are all outdated and garbage. Humidity is the measure of moisture in air, you need to be concerned about soil moisture not air.

your T us stressed cause it doesn’t feel secure in there

JZayn99

Arachnopeon
Care sheets kill tarantulas, they are all outdated and garbage. Humidity is the measure of moisture in air, you need to be concerned about soil moisture not air.
omg so why there are all of these care sheet and they don't delete them...
then can I to check the soil moisture with the hygrometer or not?

your T us stressed cause it doesn’t feel secure in there
and I have to give her a smaller hide?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Stick to care and husbandry here on arachnoboards and not random online care sheets.

read this

@JZayn99 and utilize the search and advanced search function. You can use the advanced search function to find information here on AB on just about anything you want to know.

27FF905D-007B-4F7C-9D05-833DD7E49F64.png C187EB9E-ABF2-44C3-AFAF-F60B8E4BECB6.png

Sterls

Arachnobaron
As @Smotzer said, care sheets are trash. You will need to relearn everything you think you learned about care unfortunately. Luckily, you're on the best source for husbandy in the world! (This board)

And just a note: even if you spend the next month straight reading everything you can on these boards, that doesn't mean you have experience, it just means you've done some research. Experience comes from first hand interaction and caretaking of tarantulas, nothing else. You become an experienced keeper gradually over time, as you apply what you've researched and determine what works for you, and more importantly your spiders.

I take these photos just now, she had a lot of substrate, across ventilation and no decorations, anyway she has stopped being in that position
Dang! That's a big tub of dirt, awesome. The hide needs some work though. Most seemani will eventually burrow and make their own, but they need a secure one in the meantime to settle in. If you're going to use that flowerpot, it needs to be cut in half and pushed further into the substrate. A hide with a lot of headspace doesn't make them feel safe - they like hiding in a small, dark hole. Doesn't need to be so snug that it's crammed in, but it shouldn't be much bigger than the T. If it's not cut in half, when the tarantula does start burrowing it'll hit the pot and won't be able to go further.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
The vast majority of care sheets are outdated garbage. If you want a prime example then try keeping an Avicularia at the 70% - 80% humidity often cited on internet care sheets and see how quickly you kill it, these people even invented a condition called SADS (Sudden Avic Death Syndrome) because they couldn't figure out that overly moist enclosures with restricted ventilation are death-traps for Avics.

omg so why there are all of these care sheet and they don't delete them...
Because once something is on the internet it's basically there forever. Also, people love to regurgitate nonsense without fact-checking it first so the nonsense ends up in more places which makes it much more accessible for new keepers who don't know any better.

JZayn99

Arachnopeon
THAAANK U guys, I hope to learn here as much as possible for my ts

If you're going to use that flowerpot, it needs to be cut in half and pushed further into the substrate.
yes the flowerpot is already cut in half, now I'm going to push it more into the substrate

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I personally hate flower pot hides because the T has no way to escape or burrow out of the back. I imagine it makes them feel a bit trapped.

As others have noted, that's definitely a stress pose. My specimen of this species was in a stress pose for almost a week after I got her and didn't burrow for 4 months. Now she's much more comfortable and burrows a lot. She's also out and about more. Just give her some time.

I also recommend making sure that the lower levels of the substrate are damp and that you packed it down well enough so it holds its shape when she burrows. It looks a bit fluffy to me.

Don't worry about humidity. If the lower levels of substrate are damp, she will burrow to where she feels comfortable.

ApexApinkPanda

Arachnosquire
My little Grammostola Pulchra is a little hairy stress box. Every time I pick up the enclosure to feed or water it there's threat posses. The only thing that seems to help is when she gets the food. It seems like she forgets she's stressed and just wants the food. I'd give her a hug if I thought it would help... Its hard to prove but I would put some more stuff in the enclosure to provide mental stimulation. Just like humans go nuts when they have no stimulation. I belive all animals go through the same. Throw some fake plants, random objects. I had my Versicolors in a really simple setup and they were really stressed. I threw in some random objects, fake plants, dice, marbels and they seemed like they got better. They were more responsive, moved around more, actually hunted food. etc. It can't hurt.

20210416_172451[1].jpg

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
My little Grammostola Pulchra is a little hairy stress box. Every time I pick up the enclosure to feed or water it there's threat posses. The only thing that seems to help is when she gets the food. It seems like she forgets she's stressed and just wants the food. I'd give her a hug if I thought it would help... Its hard to prove but I would put some more stuff in the enclosure to provide mental stimulation. Just like humans go nuts when they have no stimulation. I belive all animals go through the same. Throw some fake plants, random objects. I had my Versicolors in a really simple setup and they were really stressed. I threw in some random objects, fake plants, dice, marbels and they seemed like they got better. They were more responsive, moved around more, actually hunted food. etc. It can't hurt.
It's great you're looking for ideas to destress your T's, i would move away from the idea of them needing mental stimulation; they are not physiologically complex enough to need things to play with like a conventional fuzzy pet would.

Versicolors are arboreal, they live in cracks in trees, under foliage, they need things to web up to and hide behind/ under to feel safe, so a sparse enclosure is going to stress them out if they don't feel secure. Adding stuff like plants and things they can take cover behind will help with that, not so much keep them amused.

People do some absolutely amazing things with enclosures and make them look fantastic, but besides giving the basics the T needs (somewhere to hide, opportunities to burrow) its mainly for the keepers enjoyment rather than the T.

Things that stress spiders:

1. Change in environment
2. Incorrect environment
3. Disturbance in environment
4. Handling

I'm sure your little seemani will settle soon