Is it normal for a half inch tarantula to show a threat posture?

Aqual

Arachnopeon
A few days ago I was taking out tarantula from its vial and putting it in the enclosure and a few hours later it was still on the paper so I poked it with a paint brush to see if it was alive and it turned around, spead it's legs and lift up its front legs, it's also a Lasiodora parahybana. Is this normal behavior?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
It is a defensive posture. Normal for an LP. I would leave it alone to settle into the new enclosure before removing the paper towel.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Their urticating hairs are very ineffective at this size. The threat posture is all they really have.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Yup, very normal. One of my A.geniculata raised its legs and slapped the tongs yesterday. Which would be very impressive if it was bigger than 1cm DLS...:D

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
aweez i cant wait to get one this summer <3
Lol, i have ten of them, varying from 0.5 to 1,5 centimeters in size. :D
Very interesting to see how demeanors can be different with sacmates of the same species.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Lol, i have ten of them, varying from 0.5 to 1,5 centimeters in size. :D
Very interesting to see how demeanors can be different with sacmates of the same species.
I want to get one genic sling and a GBB sling. Hopefully they're both ladies.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I want to get one genic sling and a GBB sling. Hopefully they're both ladies.
Not sure about their status in the US, but here GBB males are popular as well, since the females are such man-eating vixens....
I got ten of the A.geniculata because it was a sale, lol. They were 3 euro a piece, but 25 euro for ten....:D
I have two GBB as well, awesome colour changes as they grow.:)

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
I got ten of the A.geniculata because it was a sale, lol. They were 3 euro a piece, but 25 euro for ten....:D
Better start bolstering that feeder colony, they're not referred as "garbage disposals" for nothing.

@Moakmeister buying one sling in hopes of a female is a crap shoot at best. Pay the price for a sexed female from a reputable breeder. Or buy multiples, 5-10, greater chance a female will emerge. Most breeders will reduce the price when buying multiple lots of sacmates.

@Aqual when slings haven't acclimated to their enclosure or disturbed as you found out will threat posture. Once comfortable, burrowed or silk hide, usually retreat, "flight before bite" as slings. P. cancerides, my slings, are very prone to threat posturing at the slightest disturbance. Intimidating @ 1 1/2", excited to see how they'll be as 7"+ adults.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
@Moakmeister buying one sling in hopes of a female is a crap shoot at best. Pay the price for a sexed female from a reputable breeder. Or buy multiples, 5-10, greater chance a female will emerge. Most breeders will reduce the price when buying multiple lots of sacmates.
But I wanted a shwing :(
And yeah I knew that I have a chance at getting males when I buy slings. I didn't want to pay a huge amount of money for a sexed female, though. Let's say $50 for a genic female 2.5" juvenile. My mom wouldn't let me get anything else on top of that, and I don't want another 2.5" juvenile because I want Regina to stay the biggest for now, and I want both species. So slings it is I guess.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
And yeah I knew that I have a chance at getting males when I buy slings. I didn't want to pay a huge amount of money for a sexed female, though. Let's say $50 for a genic female 2.5" juvenile. My mom wouldn't let me get anything else on top of that, and I don't want another 2.5" juvenile because I want Regina to stay the biggest for now, and I want both species. So slings it is I guess.
Wut?

That is the most irrelevant reason for not buying a sexed female i have ever heard...
Your brain fascinates me kid....but sometimes you seem lightyears away from logic...;)

@Red Eunice
Atm they're eating at a reasonable pace, but i know about them being pigs on eight legs :).
I have more of those though, E.murinus and cyanognathus, GBB's, P.pulchers...all pigs. Or horses, considered the amount they're eating. I don't mind. Feeders are cheaper when bought in bulk :) and feeding 30+ spiders for a month still is cheaper than feeding my only cat....

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Wut?

That is the most irrelevant reason for not buying a sexed female i have ever heard...
Your brain fascinates me kid....but sometimes you seem lightyears away from logic...;)

@Red Eunice
Atm they're eating at a reasonable pace, but i know about them being pigs on eight legs :).
I have more of those though, E.murinus and cyanognathus, GBB's, P.pulchers...all pigs. Or horses, considered the amount they're eating. I don't mind. Feeders are cheaper when bought in bulk :) and feeding 30+ spiders for a month still is cheaper than feeding my only cat....
Lucky, the pulcher's are my worst eaters of the Psalms I keep, irminia are pigs.

At 30 it might not require a roach colony to feed. At 200+ Ts, I have both dubia and lateralis colonies, sell/trade the excess. I still buy crickets monthly, T diet rotation, since I've can't seem to breed them. Lol!

You can keep the cat, I've allergies. ;)

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
March 2016, I'd have given you all the A. geniculata slings you wanted, you paid shipping. She was given to me because the previous owner stated "she's too aggressive for me".
Very large and was very defensive, about a month later, unexpectedly produced a sac. Much calmer nowadays, as far as genics go. ;)

Paiige

Arachnobaron
OP...N. tripepii :D
If they're old enough to eat, they're old enough to threat pose.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I want Regina to stay the biggest for now, and I want both species. So slings it is I guess.
Both of those slings would quickly outgrow the G. pulchripes anyway lol

OP that's normal, my C. huahini was throwing up gang signs at 1cm, it just runs and hides at the slightest disturbance now.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've had more slings throw up threat postures than juveniles/adults combined.
It's just so amusing to watch