is it me, or do T.Blondis allways get somthing wrong with them!?!?!

peterspiderling

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey there, i have had the underdog of my collection the T.blondi (goliath biredeater) for some time now, and and i have read loads and loads and LOADS of things that have gone wrong with them, deformed fangs seem to be a must for a blondi! and loads of other things that have gone wrong.

so this has got me worryed as i love all my little arachnids and i really dont want anything bad to happen to my blondi (thats her name as well). he/she is only 5cm/7cm at the moment, but what can i expect as she grows up.

so, to all those T.Blondi keepers out there,
whats gone wrong with yours?
and what did you do to fix it,?
if he/she didnt die from it.
is it certen that somthing will go wrong with my bolndi?
(of the subject) how fast do they grow? :D

i would be greatfull for all your replys :D

Thank You
Peter Cullen

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
so, to all those T.Blondi keepers out there,
whats gone wrong with yours?
and what did you do to fix it,?
if he/she didnt die from it.
is it certen that somthing will go wrong with my bolndi?
(of the subject) how fast do they grow? :D

Peter, not all blondis have problems. I have had my male for almost a year and a half, and there is nothing wrong with him. He has never been ill or injured. No, there is no guarantee that something will go wrong with your blondi, calm down. Just remember to keep the humidity up, and feed regularly.
Growth is fast. You will remember I got mine a year and a half ago, he is now 8 inches(or 20 cm) he was between 2 1/2 inches and 3 (or 6 to 7 cm) when I got him.
Blondis can have problems, but so can other T's, and that doesn't mean yours will.

peterspiderling

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well thats good, but i read more problems with blondis than any other tarantula thats all, so i was like "something aint right":}

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
moisture is their basic needs,i never had any problems with keeping them,the only 1(adult female) got died in transit,being shipped to me(way too dry in the container) but otherwise ive never had any issues.

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I never had problems with mine (male that matured and later went kaput of natural causes). I kept the tank relatively dry.. would flood it once a week and allow it to dry out before flooding again.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i would think its safe to say alot the problems people encounter with this species in captivity occur because there spiders in question are wild caught and require certain temps/humidity to thrive well.havent heard of to many people having problems with captive bred blonde

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
If your specimen is captive bred, I'd say its got a much better chance. Just keep it moist, and mix up the prey items, don't feed like only vertebrates.

-Sean

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
i've only had one slight issue with my little girl. she molted and part of her exuvium was barely stuck to her abdomen. it came right off with a moist paintbrush. she has molted one other time with no issues.

actually judging by the looks of the two pics (second one was after the first)...i might not have even had to interfere for it to come off..

they come off as a problematic species sometimes because people will post about problems..but there are a lot (probably the majority) of people with this species that don't have problems.

as for the fang problem..i've had it happen once with a t, but it wasn't a blondi. after the next molt the fang was bag in full form.

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Never had a problem with T blondi, ONLY T apophysis.
Iv had Theraphosa for 2+yrs

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've never had a problem with my blondi. I know of people that have though. Mainly with moults etc

AfterTheAsylum

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The problems aren't with blondi...

I keep a lot of blondi, and have been doing so for years. Here's what I have found. Obviously, Captives are much better to take care of. Wild Caughts require so much extra care and often die before the first molt in your care. The only problems you really hear are molt problems, with fangs and etc. However, don't get discouraged from feeding mice and rats - never a fang problem here with exclusive vertebrate feeding (which are fed beforehand though). Honestly, I have been housing blondi for years, and I've rarely had any amount below 20, and I haven't had issues outside of wild caught.

I think the main thing to do is to pay attention to the behaviour of your T and react to it. Once you get the hang of T. blondi, it becomes a little easier.