Is it just ME?

Urizen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Is it just me, or do people seem to be interested in the more morbid ideas about scorpions?

I mean, besides a die-hard or very serious collector, who would be interested in Leiurus quinquestriatus? Am I being pretentious or are most people who are interested in this species doing it because its 'hot'?

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hot scorpions are rather boring. I've had a Tityus and would much rather continue keeping my Heterometrus and a few others.

People go with what interests them.

Mike

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know that for me, it's got nothing to do with a species being hot or what have you. I'd like to have scorps from as many different species as i can. i like doing breeding projects and that kinda stuff.

As stated above, hots are fairly boring, but most scorps are unless you happen to be awake when they are active.

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm almost put off ever getting a hot scorp, precisely because it'd be hot (that and the hefty DWA license fee); but reading of keepers' experiences here interests me, and accounts for the 'almost' at the start of this sentence.

Personally, my preference is for small, harmless scorps anyway. The kind that sometimes get overlooked over here.

Urizen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the replies, I guess it is what interests you that makes you keep a species.

Thiscordia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
....As stated above, hots are fairly boring, but most scorps are unless you happen to be awake when they are active.
I completly agree with Bayushi because for a Loooooooooong time i used to think that my Orthochirus where very active but this happends like around 1-2AM :( So unless i'm still awake at that time i can pass weeks without seen them.
-.Raul

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I completly agree with Bayushi because for a Loooooooooong time i used to think that my Orthochirus where very active but this happends like around 1-2AM :( So unless i'm still awake at that time i can pass weeks without seen them.
-.Raul
I rarely see any of my scorps, excluding slings. Infact the only scorp i see on a daily basis is my male P imp, and i think it's just cus he comes out to investigate any disturbance he feels. I think i have only seen my H trog in the opne twice in the last few week and that was cus i had filled the water dish and he was ambushing feeders that were using it.

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
We dont have any 'Hot' species in Australia and we can't import, so Hot, its Not, for us.

JLDomestics

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I fail to see how a hot scorpion would be boring compared to other scorpions?:confused:

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I fail to see how a hot scorpion would be boring compared to other scorpions?:confused:

Well the hots I do own don't even show me signs of being alive for the most part. my other non hot species at least move around at night ( as seem from extensive digging and re-arranging or their tanks). The only way i know My A australis is alive is every so often a cricket dis-appears or when i clean out it's tank and i see a claw come out from under it's hide as it checks out the tongs.

Atleast my P imps and my S maurus will charge into the open when i do tank cleaning.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do you have any? Because what they're saying is true.

I can't say I don't like keeping Tityus, but I galk at all the Lq. threads, personally I see nothing appealing about them. But I think most people go Lq crazy because they cannot appriciate the systematics of other more scientifically interesting species. That and some idiot decided to call them death stalkers. If you ask me, the Tityus genra are the true death stalkers... watch out where you step!

Good thought Urizen.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
the only reason that I have a scorpion or am interested in raising more species is just because I love the way they kill and subdue their prey. Other than that, I don't find their antics/behavior really all that interesting. this is my view of any scorpion though.

marcelo_987

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The reason I got my LQ was because I was interested in having the world's most venomous scorpion but after a year of having it and raising from 2I I see it a lot differently. I wanted to breed her so bad I just bought 2 more lqs. Honestly, I love the tribal pattern on the prosoma and the metasoma coloration. I think nearly everyone (at least people who collect scorpions) goes through phase where they think hot is cool. I did, I won't lie but my perspective has changed. Besides I'm wasn't like some numskulls who wants one just to have it kill a mouse for entertainment.

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the only reason that I have a scorpion or am interested in raising more species is just because I love the way they kill and subdue their prey. Other than that, I don't find their antics/behavior really all that interesting. this is my view of any scorpion though.
Same here, also the way they look, they're like a painting, just looking at them makes it worth it.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i like the C. vittatus cause they are here, and i like the big ones like emps cause they are big. But i only have any for showig kids at schools . I find all scorps rather boring. its is intresting when one of the vittatus gets out and into the centipede enclosure tho.

LF[Media]

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you think they are boring, stick your hand in and try to pet it every once in awhile -_-.

I do agree though, some of the most interesting species (to observe) are not hots. As far as seeing them on a daily basis, my H. Arizonesis has ample places to hide but prefers to sit in the middle of his cage watching the crickets and occasionally eating them. He's unique of all my Scorps because he doesn't like to hide, so I can always look at him so I like him for that reason.

Just tonight I re-setup the cage on my H. paucidens and he is very fun to watch, he has so many rocks he can hide under and he will just slide in and out of the cracks. When I put him back in his tank tonight, I think he was happy to see the new setup and spent a good 10 minutes slipping in and out of cracks until he found a nice place he liked underneath one of the rocks. Very interesting to watch.

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I like every scorpion. They are boring in my opinion but still fascinates me :D.

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Have you seen an Lq subdue a bigger prey? Watch it sting then you will surely appreciate an Lq. An emp would simply crush its prey.

I also like Lq because of the coloration and pattern. Besides, a boring, non-moving scorp means it is comfortable in the enclosure. A restless scorp or one that is overly defensive means it is stressed and stress is not a good thing. If you want a specimen that keeps moving all the time that will fit in the same enclosure, then better get a goldfish.

Thiscordia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The only way i know My A australis is alive is every so often a cricket dis-appears or when i clean out it's tank and i see a claw come out from under it's hide as it checks out the tongs.
Same here i can honestly said that my A. australis its so far the most inactive scorpion i ever had, she doesn't dig around or even walk around the tank she just never moves and if it wasn't becaus of the feeders like you said i woldn't even know she's still alive.

-.Raul

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just saying Hotties or non hotties are boring would be a rather ignorant generalisation.:rolleyes: some species are more active for others. Everyone has his/ her own reasons for keeping certain scorpions. I keep Odonturus/ Babycurus because I want to study their relations and describe the differences aswell as the similarities.

Raul, A.australis is the most boring Buthid I ever owned. It is in inactive, doesn't dig and even eats in it's retreat. Try A.crassicauda's or A.mauretanicus, these are more active....

Alakdan said:
A restless scorp or one that is overly defensive means it is stressed and stress is not a good thing. If you want a specimen that keeps moving all the time that will fit in the same enclosure, then better get a goldfish.

I couldn't agree more!