Is it "Asian" Flatrock, or "African" Flatrock?

shade

Arachnopeon
I am curious. Is there such thing as an "Asian" flatrock scorpion? My girlfriend has a Flatrock Scorpion and she keeps telling me it is an "Asian" flatrock. I tried looking up care sheets for it online, but I can only find info on "African" Flatrocks. Is there such a scorpion, or has she just been confused on the similarity between the names? If there IS an "Asian" can someone give me the scientific name for it? I would like the same for the "African" as well.

Thanks for your help,
Shade

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Some Liocheles species from asia can resemble Hadogenes troglodytes (flatorcks from africa), so maybe this is what shes thinking?

Liocheles dont get anywhere near the size of hadogenes though so there shouldnt really be any confusion between the two.

edit: common names are useless!

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hadogenes paucidens are also an african species of flat rock. Olive keeled flat rock is the common name

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
All Hadogenes (the "flat rocks") are native to Africa. As Tabor has stated, there are species of Liocheles that are native to Asia and these can superficially resemble Hadogenes but are easily set apart by the relative absence of setae on the pedipalps (they have far less hairy arms than the Hadogenes).

Cheers,
Dave

shade

Arachnopeon
I do believe that it is the Olive Keeled Flat rock that she has, but she mostly calls it the "Asian" flat rock. Is the olive keeled an African Flat rock?

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As stated by Dave, all Hadogenes species are from Africa.

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
She might be referring to Liocheles waigiensis. This a local Philippine scorpion about 2" length. They are also found in Australia. They look like flatrock scorpion juveniles.

Liocheles waigiensis

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
She might be referring to Liocheles waigiensis. This a local Philippine scorpion about 2" length. They are also found in Australia. They look like flatrock scorpion juveniles.

Liocheles waigiensis
wow that's a cool scorp! i like:drool: