Is it a male or female?

Chad Peace

Arachnosquire
IMG_1642.JPG bought 'her' as a sexed female and i just wanted to confirm this with you great people

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Well, you won't get a "confirmation" without a proper sexual via the exuvia, but that does look female to me.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Yea im going female but the exo is the way to tell for sure

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Wrong section, there is a portion of the gallery for this.
But yes it's looking female, but remember a ventral sexing is just as good as unsexed, it's just guesswork

cold blood

Staff member
Its not juat a randon shot in the dark guess though, its whats known as an "educated guess".

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Its not juat a randon shot in the dark guess though, its whats known as an "educated guess".
yeah, maybe i didnt articulate as well, as far as lebeling it 1.0 or 0.1 it isnt wise to label them either for sale or breeding or anything until you have a molt. so my comment was more geared as "ventral sexing = SUSCPECT male/female and still = 0.0.1"
perhaps i had oversimplified by stating ventral sexing is as good as unsexed

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Would you be able to include the species in the original post, please? That way, when people use the search function to answer the same question about the same species from a ventral shot, they can find this to compare theirs to?

Eli824

ArachnoEnthusiast
Sorry guys but this was only forum with anything similar to what I was curious about ☹

So a few months ago I decided to look online and see if there were any kew looking T's I wanted and I fell in love with the Augacephalus Breyeri and so I bought a sub adult juvenile but this morning I noticed it molted out male hooks and it's barely even 2" if that so now I have a 2" tarantula that has nowhere near the colors of the female and is nowhere near as large I had spent good money too $63 so I decided to search google for T's that had tiny males for fear of buying a T spending good money just to get an ugly useless male that looks like a house spider I don't even want him anymore am thinking abou just giving it back to my vendor and say here find someone who actually wants him or maybe mate him idc just have him so my question is do you guys know of a site or book that I can buy or visit that shows both male and female comparisons of all tarantulas ?

cold blood

Staff member
I know that you could find him a mate in the classifieds. Augecaphelous are notorious for their small males....but those males are also in demand....sell it, trade it or send it on a breeding loan...hes a valuable little guy to someone.

cold blood

Staff member
Lesson learned is not to ever just buy one single unsexed specimen....youre just begging for a male doing this....not to mention spending a lot of time only to start over. ..buying unsexed singles is the slowest, most expensive way to build a collection.

Eli824

ArachnoEnthusiast
I know that you could find him a mate in the classifieds. Augecaphelous are notorious for their small males....but those males are also in demand....sell it, trade it or send it on a breeding loan...hes a valuable little guy to someone.
Yup I wish I had done that but I already gave him to my local pet store they already have him on display for $59.99 lol wonder if I could as for a discount ? Lol jk

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
It probably ethically too late now, butI would have at least asked for a little store credit. If they balked, you could have just shrugged and gave it to them anyway, but even ten bucks would have been something.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Lesson learned is not to ever just buy one single unsexed specimen....youre just begging for a male doing this....not to mention spending a lot of time only to start over. ..buying unsexed singles is the slowest, most expensive way to build a collection.
It's at least more rewarding if you're buying slings instead of juvies so you get some time out of them

Eli824

ArachnoEnthusiast
It probably ethically too late now, butI would have at least asked for a little store credit. If they balked, you could have just shrugged and gave it to them anyway, but even ten bucks would have been something.
Actually if I'm honest I have been really fortunate the two guys I go to locally are both great vendors and there have been times where I was in dire straits and my T's needed something but ( as I work in the hospital I only get 1 paycheck a month ) so either of them literally give me whatever I need and tell me get me when you get your check I don't mind if they make money off me last time I went to one of them they literally knew what I had and didn't have as far as T's and told me they got some in and handed me the box of slings and told me to just take one I truly can't complain

Eli824

ArachnoEnthusiast
IMG_4372.JPG IMG_4366.JPG
Well, you won't get a "confirmation" without a proper sexual via the exuvia, but that does look female to me.
was wondering if you guys could help me with this 3" pamphobeteus ultamarinus please I believe it to be female but I could be wrong it was never sexed but by my own eyes only so really hoping this baby is a girl here is another image thanks again