Is Homoeomma chilensis a good beginner?

BennyBTamachi

Arachnosquire
Let's examine the criteria for what makes a good starter T, and see how H. chilensis does with them:

-hardy species/tolerant of a new owner's husbandry errors (pass)

-tendency to be docile (pass)

-readily available (depends on when you ask. Sometimes they're just not out there to buy. Only 1/4 inch slings are normally available when they're for sale.)

-inexpensive (fail)

-decent growth rate (fail)

-good eater (fail)

Something like T. albopilosus or G. pulchripes passes all of these.

Why do you think H. chilensis is a good starter? You're entitled to your opinion, but I'm trying to understand why you feel this way.
Simply, because I did not use the same criteria as you (more precisely, the growth rate and the price)

(Don't get me wrong, I am not assuming that every beginner is looking for adults only, and they have big budget, that is why I put "if" in my comment)

I give you another example, when I got my T.cyaneolum, it was an adult, and it was a little pricey, yet I consider it more beginner friendly than my T.albopilosus or my A.chalcodes (in my opinion and based on my own set of criteria indeed)

But yes, from your angle you're totally right. It all goes down to individual preferences in the end.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Simply, because I did not use the same criteria as you (more precisely, the growth rate and the price)

(Don't get me wrong, I am not assuming that every beginner is looking for adults only, and they have big budget, that is why I put "if" in my comment)

I give you another example, when I got my T.cyaneolum, it was an adult, and it was a little pricey, yet I consider it more beginner friendly than my T.albopilosus or my A.chalcodes (in my opinion and based on my own set of criteria indeed)

But yes, from your angle you're totally right. It all goes down to individual preferences in the end.
Hmmm...other then inexpensive, I think every point @nicodimus22 made is definitely criteria that should be very very important to a beginner, whether they know it or not.

Beginners generally don't have many T's and a very slow growing T can make the hobby very boring before you even really get started IMO.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nope! It wasn't him. But apparently it wasn't too much, because it sold quickly.
Too much at that price- too much = subjective

Compare to the 65$ I paid for my AF, yep too much. Value is always subjective.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's too much to you, but not too much for someone else.
Obviously:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rofl: 🙄 Im not concerned with the buyer- they can burn their money to heat their house or buy cocaine for all I care

My point was the price is too high period.

Just because someone is willing to pay for something doesn’t mean the price is a good or fair one.:rolleyes:

There’s a difference between a fair price and price gouging/greed. :rofl:

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Obviously:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rofl: 🙄 Im not concerned with the buyer- they can burn their money to heat their house or buy cocaine for all I care

My point was the price is too high period.

Just because someone is willing to pay for something doesn’t mean the price is a good or fair one.:rolleyes:

There’s a difference between a fair price and price gouging/greed. :rofl:
Someone offered me a $100 for a cigarette in a NYC nightclub once, I kid you not. I didn't take it....but the price was not good nor fair no matter how "subjective" you look at it LOL

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Someone offered me a $100 for a cigarette in a NYC nightclub once, I kid you not. I didn't take it....but the price was not good nor fair no matter how "subjective" you look at it LOL
That’s not what you pay for a cigarette?

Jess S

Arachnobaron
I would have definitely sold it to them lol
They obviously got money to burn on burn 😂

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Recent trend in this hobby... 😡
@cold blood and I talk about this often

I feel it started as a matter of routine when H pulchripes was new.

I’ve seen a variety of sellers charging 85$ for certain slings that should be no more than 45$

wickee

Arachnopeon
I know a guy, but man they are pricey. 😉
I am seriously looking for another one of these. Do you still know anyone who might have them or anyone who can get them? I understand they are pricey.