Is Handling Right Or Wrong?

BooyaTarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just kidding. I was wondering if people had any interesting bite stories and if they would be willing to tell them. Please, share the details and pictures if you have them. I think it will be beneficial too if you can identify what went wrong so we can learn from your mistake (but at least you got a cool story/scar right?). And yes, you're all allowed to hate me for the title... I just wanted to get your attention

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How about getting bit your self? You'll have your own story then. :D

Ha nah, avoid getting bit. Follow what Ryan said. I remember when I was reading the bite report section.... oh man was I amused.

NeitherSparky

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have no interest in handling any t's. I'm not afraid of them, I'm just *way* too paranoid about hurting them. I'm kinda clumsy. :(

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have no interest in handling any t's. I'm not afraid of them, I'm just *way* too paranoid about hurting them. I'm kinda clumsy. :(

I will handle a few of my female brachys and thats about it.
I just recently stated into buying pokies. Talk about quick little buggers, I had one beat me to the baseboards from the middle of the room. He then wedges himself between the wood floor and the board. It was a nice little standoff that went on for two hours.

I have learned that for those that dont want to handle but want to keep Ts it can be done.
I have a weird fear of being bit.... I am in no hurry to see what its like.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
I handle all my T's. The two times I've been bit, neither were from handling. First was a B. albo, when I started into the hobby, and was very stupid, I hand fed her for the fun of it. One time she missed.

The other was H. gigas. Bitten by about a 3" juvie. Didn't hardly feel it, but after awhile started itching and swelling. Its odd, but I felt dizzy and weird a few hours after the bite, but I've never been able to confirm it was from the bite, no way to tell. I just took a nap, and felt fine afterwards.

No scars. Just a tiny black dot from my first bite.

-Sean

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
just look at the bite post or stick your hand in a o-b-t- tank i think you soon know what its like :wall: :wall: :wall: :? :? :?

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm also all thumbs. I can't even handle things that don't move without dropping them.

The only time I had a T in my hand was when I was cleaning my avics tank once, my hand got close to her, I think I startled her, and she jumped onto my hand, then into the water dish, then went running up the side of the tank again, all in about a half a second. We were both fine, but it scared the crap out of me!

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You can handle any tarantula you want. You first have to know how, which a search will reveal how not too.

If you handle just accept three facts that are going to happen.
1.) the tarantula will make a leap to its death and you will be down one less tarantula.
2.) It will bite you.
3.) You will be put in an uncomfortable position when it darts up your arm and rears on your ______(face, armpit, back, genital region,ect).

Just take it advice, Do not handle a tarantula when you are alone, always have a person with you. If you have no clue why, then go ahead handle it and you will find out why.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
You all know that this thread isn't really about handling don't you?;)

Sorry I have no bite stories to share as I have never been bitten, but the bite report section has many stories to read.

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I love handling my T, and i've never been bit. however, i only do it around 1 every 2 weeks, so it doesn't mind too much. i wanna get bit someday to get a story. i'm too chicken to intentionally get bit, tho. {D

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You want to get bit?
I can ship you my Blondi..... will you let me know how the meet and greet goes? :p

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
nah, i was just kidding about it. could you send me ur blondi anyways? i'd love to see one in person, someday! nah, still jk. :)

heh heh... Mangled... :evil:

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How bad would it be to be bit by a T. blondi. I mean their fangs must be huge, especially a fully mature female. So, would it hurt from the pain of just having something with that girth pierce your skin, or would it be the amount of venom being injected?

I stepped on a nail once... that wasn't fun, went right through my shoe, foot, and then my shoe again. It was extremely painful to get out, considering it was barbed. =X Yes, I went to the hospital with that one... limping into the ER room with a bloody plank stuck under your foot, that was interesting.

As for handling, I do it all the time. I do all my maintenance with bare hands (minus picking dead stuff out, I use chopsticks for that). But when it comes to repositioning things with perfectionist's ideals I use my bare hands. Sometimes one of my roseas will wander near my hand and investigate "is this yummy?!". I have yet to be bit, even that one time I accidentally squeezed my 5" rosea in between my palm and thumb. She panicked, but didn't bite. I was surprised, because I have gotten threats from her before.

My advice to you is, just be confident. Think positively that you won't get bit, and well, you probably won't. I mean it's no guarantee, I'm actually looking forward to the day I get bit... funny... so I can tell those people who ask, "Aren't they poisonous?" I'm still here today aren't I?

Geeze, what a ramble.

Do what feels right.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So there is more then one person that wants to get bit? I kinda understand wanting to know what its like but wanting to get bit? Seems kinda nutty. Maybe I just have an irrational fear of being bite. I see them eat their prey and that cant feel to great. (knock knock) I hope I just keep on going with no incident.