Is "Friendly" A Valid Term For A Tarantula?

Maggie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just wondering about that this afternoon as i was cleaning out enclosures. Most just watch, a few are aggressive or defensive, but two in particular seem to want to be around me. A small Pink Zebra Beauty, she has to check everything out and then appears to be content as long as she is close by,lol, if i move she moves with me. The other is a tiny Chaco Golden Knee. This one is fast becoming my favorite because of the inquisitiveness! I KNOW i am attributing human qualities here. Maybe they just see me as the food person!:D

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hehe both of those Eupalaestrus campestratus and Grammostola areostriata only get cooler as they grow. Both of them come in the top five of my top ten best pet tarantula list.

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Maggie,

eupalaestrus campestratus is one of my top faves, being beautiful, though a bit skittish for a while if wild caught. Once they calm down in captivity they can make great hand pets! Of course if you buy captive bred individuals they are much more used to human interaction! that's why I plan on eventually having several breeding females of this species.

tarantulas can't see all that well, but their other senses are incredibly sensitive. they are able to feel you walking about the house, even when you're clear at the other end of the house from them! also, their sense of "smell" is highly acute. I personally believe they are capable of identifying an individual based on his/her specific voice vibrational level, or by scent when being touched or held. these incredible animals ARE capable of being conditioned, so they more than likely equate your presence with food. Many of mine will begin to tap around at the ground searching for food or patiently await it when I open the lid, staring up at me with all their little beady eyes, lol! the less shy ones will come right out on the opening of their container tapping around, making it quite obvious that they want something (most usually food)! less often, to just come out to explore!

take care,

Paul

minax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey Maggie!

I think they can be "friendly". Call me crazy(it would'nt be the first time)but I think they are very perceptive and adaptive, if not "smart". I have had that exp. as well; I know they think of me as the "food guy", and they know my patterns very well. They know I leave them alone after feeding. These animals are so adaptive, I can't help but believe that they are very perceptive in some areas. I think it is a lack of perception in us humans to think otherwise.:)