is burrowing temperature related?

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
is burrowing temperature related or what?

is it just some species burrow or will a species burrow to try to keep warm or humid or whatever?

it has been slightly cooler in the house lately so i am wondering (still doesnt drop below 70°F)...

i noticed that since the last moult that the curly slings have started to burrow more....of course they had to enlarge their existing burrows because they are physically bigger now but some that hadnt previously burrowed now have...and the ones that already had burrows have enlarged theirs and made them more extravagant!!....

kinda cool....wish i had them in clear containers....i can see their holes going into the burrow and with flashlight i can make out decent sized (for a sling) rooms underground.....seems like it would be cool to watch them inside (even though they just sit in there)...im thinkin that after next moult that i will move them to my babyfood jars i have set up with vermiculite.....but im not sure i would be able to see them if they burrow in the babyfood jars (guess it depends on size after next moult) and i also only have 100% vermiculite in them....
maybe i need to get a peat/verm set up in the jars before the next moult so that they can burrow........but im afraid i wont see them anymore......can you encourage a sling to burrow up against the glass?

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I don't think it's temp related, most of my slings of whatever species (other than arboreals) burrow. I've raised two curlies and both burrowed. The one has been hanging out in the open since it's last moult when it reached about 3" or so. The younger one is still underground and happy to be so. I think it's more of a defensive behaviour for when you're a wee little pip squeak.

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah, i suppose that makes sense.........seems like burrowing activity picked up after last moult though........could just be mainly enlarging burrows though