Is burnt wood okay for enclosures?

Tommy the feeder cricket

Arachnopeon
Active Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2020
Messages
15
I found this awesome piece of wood while I was hiking the other day. I've cleaned it up and boiled it. I was just wondering if the fact that it is slightly burnt would make it less usable for example will mold and bacteria grow on it.
I was planning on using the wood for an Asian forest scorpion by the way.
 

Attachments

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
Active Member
Joined
Oct 14, 2018
Messages
340
That is a great looking piece of wood. Do you know what kind it is?
Did it have other bugs on it?

In general, being burned shouldn't cause any problems unless it was soaked in some flammable chemical(s).

Either way, wood will mold and gather bacteria if you keep it humid enough.
It happens after sterilzation aswell, but it should eventually cycle and any mold will disappear. Springtails would help deal with any mold also.
 

Tommy the feeder cricket

Arachnopeon
Active Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2020
Messages
15
That is a great looking piece of wood. Do you know what kind it is?
Did it have other bugs on it?

In general, being burned shouldn't cause any problems unless it was soaked in some flammable chemical(s).

Either way, wood will mold and gather bacteria if you keep it humid enough.
It happens after sterilzation aswell, but it should eventually cycle and any mold will disappear. Springtails would help deal with any mold also.
I'm not certain what type of wood it is. I don't think it had any chemicals if it did all my cleaning should have got rid of it.
 
Top