Is bracyphelma boehmi a good starter tarantula?

mimiguy13

Arachnopeon
I was looking forward to keep a tarantula but I did not know a good species to begin with. I have read on some websites that the bracyphelma genus was a good one and the B. Boehmi caught my eye. So would it be a good starter? I heard they are not an aggressive species.:)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yes of course they are. Like the whole genus Brachypelma.

Remember however that temperament always vary from specimen to specimen and that they aren't aggresive but defensive.

Buy that without doubts I say :-s

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
What size are you going to buy?
Sling, juvenile or adult (female).
Brachypelma species are considered "docile" or "flight before bite", but are exceptions to this depending on the individual. Usually flick urticating hairs when startled so beware of that. My B. sabulosum is a prime example of a hair flicker, she's the worst of the Brachypelma I keep.
Slow growing and are out in the open most of the time. A great display species with vibrant colors, especially after a molt. Easy to care for, provide a hide, water dish, fake foliage, weekly feeding and enclosure 2X wide by 3X long the diagonal leg span. Substrate surface to top of enclosure should not exceed 2X DLS, others recommend 1 1/2X DLS. Avoid a screen top for obvious reasons.
I say go for it and enjoy!!!

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Other than the hairs they like to fling when they're smaller, they're great!

Easy to care for, only need a water dish and pretty dry substrate. They have a fairly slow growth rate and a pretty long lifespan.

I'd suggest you get a 2"+ for your first T.

Go for it!

Last edited:

magicmed

Arachnobaron
I have two, a male and a female and both are easy to manage, the one negative about them is both will as soon as I open their enclosure kick a full storm of ulticating satae. Like I said it's easily managed but they don't like to be bothered

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Like those who have posted above, I agree that they make good beginner tarantulas, I do not own one, but I can say from my own experience, brachys make great beginner tarantulas (although I have two brachys elms sabulosums that are extremely defensive)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was looking forward to keep a tarantula but I did not know a good species to begin with. I have read on some websites that the bracyphelma genus was a good one and the B. Boehmi caught my eye. So would it be a good starter? I heard they are not an aggressive species.:)

Good beginner T. All things being equal, if you are concerned about how flicky they are, in order of most likely to flick to least boehmei>emilia>smithi = albo