Is anyone keeping high elevation sp successfully?

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I obtained two high elevation species last weekend that I've since been told are more delicate, so I'm trying to do some research on them to make sure that I'm giving them their best chance to thrive with me. I'd love it if someone with experience with either of theses species or a comparable species would give me whatever information they think will be helpful in order to accomplish this.

The species are Bistriopelma lamasi and Agnostopelma tota, both of which are Andean species, but when I researched the climates of the areas where they are endemic (I pulled the geographic location data of collected specimens from the papers in which they are described and used it to investigate), they appear to come from very different climates:

Bistriopelma lamasi
Subtropical highland climate - arid 5cm of rainfall annually

From high Andean shrubland in Peru
3200-4000 meters elevation
Annual temps from 12c to 8c (55f to 45f)

Agnostopelma tota
Temperate oceanic climate - 78 cm of rain annually
From Andean highland wetland in Colombia
2700-3200 meters in elevation
Annual temps from 8c-22c average temp 14c

Looking at google maps, the vegetation of these regions appear to reflect the rainfall differences. Given the information above, I would be inclined to keep the A tota moist and the B lamasi dry in a fossorial enclosure, but I'm concerned about other factors:

- How much will the difference in barometric pressure affect these species?
- Do these species require cold, or can they just be kept in a cooler area?
- These slings were born into captivity well away from their native areas. Will this help them acclimate more to regular indoor temps and lower elevations?

I've been considering investing in some sort of micro-climate enclosure and other possibilities if any of the above factors have a strong impact on their well being, but I think it's best to ask first.

Beyond the above, I've been keeping a Euathlus condorito very successfully. Since the B lamasi is from a similar elevation and arid region, I'm a bit less worried about it than I am the A tota, but information/advice on either would be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Hope it’s okay to post again and say I’m still looking for help, because I haven’t received any responses. So far I’m keeping these sp close to the window where it’s colder, misting the A tota’s enclosure a few times a week to emulate its native habitat and injecting water into the bottom of the substrate of both. Here are pics of them when I got them.

B lamasi, a little over 1/8 dls:
A9BA3A08-00F1-4BEA-9B4F-4BE568F5000F.jpeg
A tota, about 1/4” dls: 150DE48E-6F74-4C96-A07E-3717A55EA4D5.jpeg
Both seem okay. B lamasi has burrowed, is darkening, and is generally doing stuff I would expect of a sling. A tota is darkening and hiding under a leaf. The B lamasi has definitely eaten and I found the A tota clinging to a cricket corpse so I think it has, too, but its butt is just so ROUND it’s hard to tell.

If you have any tips for me, please let me know! Thank you!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I don't keep the species mentioned in your original post but I do keep Megaphobema mesomelas and Poecilotheria subfusca "Highland" and they are both doing fine at room temperatures (22°C - 25°C with the heating on during winter, we had highs of 28°C during the summer though and no issues).

I believe that CB specimens should be more tolerant of higher temps than WC specimens.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I don't keep the species mentioned in your original post but I do keep Megaphobema mesomelas and Poecilotheria subfusca "Highland" and they are both doing fine at room temperatures (22°C - 25°C with the heating on during winter, we had highs of 28°C during the summer though and no issues).

I believe that CB specimens should be more tolerant of higher temps than WC specimens.
Thank you so much. That's actually comforting to know. I've heard similar from others keeping M mesomelas, so I'm hopeful that the fact that these were captive-born will help them acclimate better and maybe thrive in captivity.

Did you do anything else special to manage the care of your highland species, or just keep them as you would any of your others?

Thank you!

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I think that some of my Euathlus come from higher elevations. Not all of them are going to be affected the same. The Euathlus are as hardy as can be and I don't make allowances for the fact that they are normally at higher elevations and I have never lost one outside of old age. I think that Megaphobema is just not as hardy as some others and it has more to do with moisture than altitude.
I don't worry too much about barometric pressure unless it has to do with breeding. Then it might play a role. Otherwise, you don't really see much reaction from them other than some of them doing the faux brumation thing.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I think that some of my Euathlus come from higher elevations. Not all of them are going to be affected the same. The Euathlus are as hardy as can be and I don't make allowances for the fact that they are normally at higher elevations and I have never lost one outside of old age. I think that Megaphobema is just not as hardy as some others and it has more to do with moisture than altitude.
I don't worry too much about barometric pressure unless it has to do with breeding. Then it might play a role. Otherwise, you don't really see much reaction from them other than some of them doing the faux brumation thing.
Thank you. I'm not going to worry about breeding possibilities for a loooong time! I just wanna get these wee lil' nuggets out of the danger zone for now.

In addition to the E condorito, I have three tiny new E parvulus that seem to be doing well, although I've had them for only a few weeks. I'm not particularly worried about them, since they seem to be eating well and doing the regular sling stuff. I really hope that the B lamasi follow suit, since the elevation and habitat is similar.

I'll look more into keeping M mesomelas and see if there's any crossover, habitat-wise, with the A tota, as it sounds like more people have experience with those. What have you heard regarding moisture for that sp?

Thank you again! I really appreciate anything at this stage.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Did you do anything else special to manage the care of your highland species, or just keep them as you would any of your others?
Nothing outside of maintaining basic husbandry for the species tbh, I don't let the M. mesomelas dry out and the P. subfusca HL is kept exactly the same as any other Pokie I've kept.