Is anyone else here as dumb as me?

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Tarantula hair itches. Badly. (Most of the time for most people)

But I never learn. I get kicked on, do my best to get it off, suffer for one or two weeks, and kinda learn my lesson for a little bit...but then one of those days come where you get a hankering to show it to someone, so you grab it and flip it over. In the process, getting kicked on and resting your hand right near the abdomen and start to suffer for another couple weeks.

Does anyone else here never learn their lesson?

My curly hair is the main one that causes this...It's just unbearable at times. (It's not painful for those of you who haven't experienced it, it's just an itch that won't go away and won't ever be satisfied.) I can't imagine a T. blondi or T. Apophysis kicking hair onto me.

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
oh T.blondi hairs are fun

My hand usally turns red and its a constant strong itch right under the skin that I usally end up ripping old skin off from scratching.:D

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Its just one of the things we have to live with, like crickets..
With skincast removal, handleing, substrate changing, molting, feeding and watering. I'm sure my T room is floating with hairs..
Then add the ceiling fan running 24/7, I cant believe I can still breath. LOL:?

Ernie

Last edited:

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
t blondi hairs dont last more than 3-4 days for me so they dont bother me that much, but they do make me scratch so much I usally end up with cuts all over the place.

I wonder if its possible to build up an resistance to them I know its not likely and maybe its just me but they used to hurt when I had them in my skin . Like glass shards kinda, but now they just itch badly.

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've never really been haired before... I've itched after handling a spider and I've had spiders kick hair at me but never been to the point of scratching skin off! I wonder if there are some special gloves out there that could help... not latex, but something that thin... hmm...:?

kellygirl

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Bob the thief
oh T.blondi hairs are fun
T.blondi "hairs" are fun, I only have an exuvium from one but after messing with it, got a bunch all over me. Along with the genus Brachypelma, T.blondi possess type III urticatious setae, which happen to have the worst effect on humans(there are 6 types total). This is why many people suffer bad effects from Brachypelma spp. I believe Theraphosa spp. urticatious setae are slightly worse because they are a little larger, same design though. <<<---------------->->->->-> OUCH!

Cheers,
Steve

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
One time, in the process of digging out cricket parts, and doing cage maintenance (before work), I got it good. My nose started itching, inside. I though it was allergies, so itched it. All of a sudden, I had a horrible, bloody nose. I was forced to go home. I believe a blondi hair or two got up there. Another time, (I guess I was tired or, stupid) I itched the outside of my eye, before washing my hands. Once again, I guess I got blondi hairs in it. Over a space of 12 hours, I ended up with a black eye..:( Still, I love her to pieces. If I had the room and the resources, I'd have more blondis.
Peace,
Gillian

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by kellygirl
I've never really been haired before... I've itched after handling a spider and I've had spiders kick hair at me but never been to the point of scratching skin off! I wonder if there are some special gloves out there that could help... not latex, but something that thin... hmm...:?

kellygirl
The place that I work, a hospital, is totally latex free, all the gloves they use are, yes, latex free, cool colors too, purple, green, clear, and yes, some fall into my pockets accidently before I leave work, cant figure out how they get there, but I dont complain.

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by mebebraz
The place that I work, a hospital, is totally latex free, all the gloves they use are, yes, latex free, cool colors too, purple, green, clear, and yes, some fall into my pockets accidently before I leave work, cant figure out how they get there, but I dont complain.
=D =D ROTFLMAO!! =D =D
Peace,
Gillian

DiStUrBeD-OnE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So i guess the hairs are just like a ton of Misquito bites? ive never been kicked on...yet, wonderin if its a really strong itch or just a minor one you scratch because of boredom...:confused:

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
i've been pretty careful not to get kicked on, but my b. boehmei is quite a spastic creature--

once she kicked hairs _nowhere_ near me, yet later that day i developed a bumpy blister-like rash on the inside part of my middle finger. it comes back every now and then (maybe once a month), which leads me to believe i am very allergic to her uriticating hair.

my a. genic and l. parah, however, i've had no reaction to! maybe i'm just allergic to t's without horrible uriticating hair!

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm pretty good at avoiding too bad of hair exposures for handling, wrangling, and the such. Where I repeatedly dose myself good is when I'm all eager to try and see if a moult is sexable - I inevitably grind in as much hair as possible into my finger tips during the process and spend the next 36 hours with swollen, itchy fingers. And, like you, every time I tell myself I'll be more careful the next time... ;)

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've even let a smithi crawl on my face and head (for a photo shoot recently - I'll post them later) and yet the only spider that really inflicts the Itch of Death on me is Theraphosa species (blondi & apophysis). Go figure. I've head smithis and other species hair me as best they can and nada.

bill

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by DiStUrBeD-OnE
So i guess the hairs are just like a ton of Misquito bites? ive never been kicked on...yet, wonderin if its a really strong itch or just a minor one you scratch because of boredom...:confused:
I would describe it as a fiberglass insulation kind of itch...
Peace,
Gillian

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
I'm pretty good at avoiding too bad of hair exposures for handling, wrangling, and the such. Where I repeatedly dose myself good is when I'm all eager to try and see if a moult is sexable - I inevitably grind in as much hair as possible into my finger tips during the process and spend the next 36 hours with swollen, itchy fingers. And, like you, every time I tell myself I'll be more careful the next time... ;)

This is why I never sex Avicularia sp. tarantulas -- there is no avoiding getting the hair all over me.

Adrian

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hell. I'm that dumb. Dumber even as I have a Very low tollerance to venoms or hairs or anything "bug" related.
I shouldn't even have T's.
But gonna have them anyway, and handle them, and enjoy them.

Lifes too short.

Whats a few layers of skin in the scheme of things right?

:D

Hamadryad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Self abuse....heeheehee

I remember when I FIRST got into tarantulas I had no idea they had any such thing as urticating hairs....and very soon after I started handling some of my spiders I started having extremely itchy hands....I would scratch the hell out of my palms like mad and it just made it itch more...and I couldnt figure out at the time what the deal was....so one day I was scratching my palms like crazy in front of my 80 year old father and he looks at me and real serious like he says "You arent abusing yourself are you boy?" I paused for a second while it sunk in that he thought I was well...you know....and I had to tell him that, No Dad...really Im not abusing myself - well, now I know it was the spiders...heheheheheheh:8o

The Spider Hunter

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Self abuse....heeheehee

Originally posted by Spider Hunter
I would scratch the hell out of my palms like mad and it just made it itch more...and I couldnt figure out at the time what the deal was....so one day I was scratching my palms like crazy in front of my 80 year old father and he looks at me and real serious like he says "You arent abusing yourself are you boy?" The Spider Hunter
LMAO Sounds like a good excuse to buy some new world tarantulas, heh? =D