Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Is a Salmon Pink Birdeater OK for a beginner tarantula owner?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by ACP123, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor

Advertisement
    Exactly. Hence "probably".

2. & Roaches, earthworms, & anything else not offered in premolt!! In nature they are general predators. Vertebrates are unnecessary as feeders.

3. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor

Opportunistic is the word. They take whatever they can handle. Vertabrate, beetle, earth worm, doesn't matter.

By your own criteria, you should be feeding vertabrates. To increase the variety of prey. ;)

But I haven't seen evidence of a variety being needed.

4. They don't NEED variety, but it won't hurt them, feeding variety is more important with something like an omnivorous lizard (blue tongue skinks and crested geckoes come to mind). If anything it entertains the keeper and if one feeder is leaking in one nutritional aspect it can be made up for with a different feeder

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. sasker

sasker Arachnoangel Active Member

And don't forget it's fun to watch your tarantulas munch on a variety of little critters ;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Guy Moss

Guy Moss Arachnopeon

UK
    I don’t feed mine mealworms those little buggers bury themselves in no time and turn into beetles. My LP is partial to a good locust

7. Arachnophoric

Arachnophoric Arachnoangel Arachnosupporter

Dead thread. ;)

If you want to use mealworms but don't want them to burrow, crush the heads with tongs. It'll keep it from burrowing if the T isn't quick to jump on it.

8. sasker

sasker Arachnoangel Active Member

Just crush their heads with tweezers prior to feeding and that would solve this problem.

@Arachnophoric You beat me to it :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2018
  9. Even without vertebrates, there's still lots of different feeders you can use. Mine do just fine without vertebrates. I've given mine the following.

Dubai roaches
    Hissing roaches
    Red runners.

Mealworms
    Super worms
    Horn worms

Crickets galore

& The monthly & first post molt earthworm (the really big ones).

And one or two others that I can't recall now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.