Is a Psalmopoeus irminia a good first arboreal tarantula?

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Again, OP has not stated what they currently have and for how long. I don't see the forums dripping with dead Avic sling posts. Yes, there is the occasional post but far from an epidemic. I would also venture that they have been reduced over the years due to more information/posts out there stressing the need for proper ventilation. I seem to recall seeing a lot more 10-15 years ago.

Heck, I just searched the forums using various keyword combos like "Avicularia avic sling died", "avic sling Avicularia sick", and more broadly "sling died". I went back over 14 months of posts on that last one and only a handful of Avic sling death posts, half seemed to be A. purpurea. I think I saw about an equal number of Brachy sling deaths posted and I see those recommended to total beginners all the time :p So, again, I'm not seeing a plethora of dead Avic sling posts and you can buy juveniles that are far hardier for a decent price.

An Avic not teaching anything necessary about challenging arboreals?:confused: I don't buy that at all. Are you, Chris, suggesting that a small step with Avics to learn how arboreals move differently (up, up, and away! ...or down, down, in to my tube! Lol) before pushing the accelerator pedal down a bit is not teaching someone who only has terrestrials? You're often one I see touting that people shouldn't move too fast. There's always caveats, as noted, such as the keeper's natural proficiency, some people are naturally better with more challenging species.

But, only the OP can answer that about themselves (they joined the forum a week and a half ago, could be new to the internet/long time lurker/or literally just started keeping a couple of months ago, and have provided no reply to questions yet), and you do have to challenge yourself at some point to progress to keeping some other species.

A. avicularia juvies and adults are dirt cheap (over here anyway) thus negating the ventilation sensitivity issue...which I don't see how it's ever an issue if people wouldn't be afraid to actually put proper air holes, size and quantity ;) Heck, I got my near 5" A. metallica (female, unsexed at the LPS) for under $40 iirc.

Some could be fine with a Psalmo as a first arboreal. Some wouldn't. I'm not going to suggest one to someone unless they've provided a bit more info about themselves and their experience level. Got some OW terrestrials? Yeah, you're likely gonna be fine. Got a G. rosea for two months? You're gonna be in for some surprises that could more easily go sideways. We need to know more about the OP's background and what size they plan to buy first imo.

Like I said, there's always Iridopelma hirsutum as an option. Faster and more defensive than Avics ime with my pair of juvies that I've raised from slings. Or Ybyrapora diversipes (why nobody corrected me? Lol)...not an Avic :D

Aqual

Arachnopeon
Again, OP has not stated what they currently have and for how long. I don't see the forums dripping with dead Avic sling posts. Yes, there is the occasional post but far from an epidemic. I would also venture that they have been reduced over the years due to more information/posts out there stressing the need for proper ventilation. I seem to recall seeing a lot more 10-15 years ago.

Heck, I just searched the forums using various keyword combos like "Avicularia avic sling died", "avic sling Avicularia sick", and more broadly "sling died". I went back over 14 months of posts on that last one and only a handful of Avic sling death posts, half seemed to be A. purpurea. I think I saw about an equal number of Brachy sling deaths posted and I see those recommended to total beginners all the time :p So, again, I'm not seeing a plethora of dead Avic sling posts and you can buy juveniles that are far hardier for a decent price.

An Avic not teaching anything necessary about challenging arboreals?:confused: I don't buy that at all. Are you, Chris, suggesting that a small step with Avics to learn how arboreals move differently (up, up, and away! ...or down, down, in to my tube! Lol) before pushing the accelerator pedal down a bit is not teaching someone who only has terrestrials? You're often one I see touting that people shouldn't move too fast. There's always caveats, as noted, such as the keeper's natural proficiency, some people are naturally better with more challenging species.

But, only the OP can answer that about themselves (they joined the forum a week and a half ago, could be new to the internet/long time lurker/or literally just started keeping a couple of months ago, and have provided no reply to questions yet), and you do have to challenge yourself at some point to progress to keeping some other species.

A. avicularia juvies and adults are dirt cheap (over here anyway) thus negating the ventilation sensitivity issue...which I don't see how it's ever an issue if people wouldn't be afraid to actually put proper air holes, size and quantity ;) Heck, I got my near 5" A. metallica (female, unsexed at the LPS) for under $40 iirc.

Some could be fine with a Psalmo as a first arboreal. Some wouldn't. I'm not going to suggest one to someone unless they've provided a bit more info about themselves and their experience level. Got some OW terrestrials? Yeah, you're likely gonna be fine. Got a G. rosea for two months? You're gonna be in for some surprises that could more easily go sideways. We need to know more about the OP's background and what size they plan to buy first imo.

Like I said, there's always Iridopelma hirsutum as an option. Faster and more defensive than Avics ime with my pair of juvies that I've raised from slings. Or Ybyrapora diversipes (why nobody corrected me? Lol)...not an Avic :D
Sorry for not responding I was busy studying. I have an LP and a GBB. The GBB is about 3/4". The LP is about 1/2"

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yes I'm saying that man :cigar:

'avics' for me are... 'avics': a genus per se where genuine 'avics' collectors (mind, different than those with one/two 'avics') loves to enjoy their striking vivid colors eight legged, and they want all of those... just like a rich man loves his vintage class cars collection. I don't want to undermine 'avics' at all, ain't a fan, but I don't want to undermine those. Don't get me wrong :angelic:

I also love to say that (IMO) to someone really interested in arboreals there's not that much to learn when it comes to temperament from those, no matter that certain 'avics' (I think about A.laeta, but could be wrong) are a bit/can be more defensive.

But anyway, seriously, P.cambridgei temperament is exaggerated. They aren't that bad... I personally rate their level of defensiveness 4 max - max 5 out of 10 (where 10 is for the likes of S.calceatum).

As far the advice I can give to others about certain Theraphosidae are concerned, obviously that if someone wants to jump into certain Africans after B.smithi (and such) only I would give him/her an advice... but for arboreal the thing is different: there isn't that much of a (genus) choice.

Really I see no reason for not suggesting a P.cambridgei (again, P.cambridgei and not P.irminia) to someone as first arboreal (not first T's, first arboreal).

It's like for 'GBB', they are more skittish and fast unlike the average NW lazy pet rocks... yet they are perfect suitable for a beginner with the will to learn and for doing "homeworks" :kiss:

Anyway that's my opinion :)

Yeah, those are cheap even here. I was talking about (0.1) A.minatrix, A.laeta and such.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
We know how to care about those, even if I'm not an 'avic' fan at all. But not everyone. They are not, even if someone is in good faith, "mistake-forgiving" user friendly. Think about how many, but how many threads you have read about 'avics & issues' so far, and how many for a P.cambridgei?
While Avics seem to tolerate a narrower range of conditions, I think that a reason we see far more "Help My Dying Avic" threads than "Help My Dying Psalmo" threads is that new keepers are far more likely to have an Avicularia than a Psalmopoeus. (New keepers often buy from local pet stores, where the tarantula inventory is often limited to Grammostola rosea/porteri and Avicularia avicularia.) Psalmos tend to be owned by more experienced keepers, so they make fewer newbie errors.

I don't think Avics are really that difficult to keep. (After all, my first two tarantulas, the first being a complete surprise, were Avics.) You just have to read the right manual. Posting for feedback on your first Avic enclosure is also a good idea. (Almost all of the "Help My Dying Avic" threads could have been prevented by doing so.)

Last edited:

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Sorry for not responding I was busy studying. I have an LP and a GBB. The GBB is about 3/4". The LP is about 1/2"
Ah, np, studies are more important. We'll entertain ourselves in the meantime lol.Those are both fairly aggressive when it comes to prey so you're used to seeing them scamper towards prey and watching a spider move with purpose beyond the wait-and-ambush approach. GBB are semi-arboreal and the ones I have had/have are often seen hanging on the side of their tank or on steep webbing.

With that said and your newness to these given your spiders' current size and thread title I would be hesitant to recommend one. In addition to my likely male cambridgei I recently received three 3/4" slings. Less prone to jump off of enclosure walls during rehousing than the four ecclesiasticus slings and if you've had your spiders a couple of months you can probably handle the speed if you buy a similarly sized sling. All of my Psalmo slings run for cover when it's feeding time.

Just be aware that getting bit, even by a sling, is going to carry more consequence than most NW's if its not a dry bite and keep your fingers out of range, you'll be ok. If it escapes and you have other people in the house they deserve to be made aware so if they get bit they know what to expect especially if you're not around at the time it happens to tell them :nurse:

I should admit that I went to pokies first then to Psalmos but I think that my Iridopelmas are currently at or near the top of my list for owned arboreals. Their colors are great, they can have attitude if they feel threatened, they're faster than Avics, and they're less common. Not that Psalmos seem to be a commonly kept spider either.

Or, there's always Tappies :hungry: ZOOOOOOM! But no, I jest, stick with the aforementioned suggestions and pay attention to Chris especially for Psalmo species advice of you decide to go that route :)

Good luck!

mistertim

Arachnobaron
IME Pokies are far less defensive than Psalmos. I wouldn't recommend starting out arboreal with a Pokie though. They're VERY fast and pack a serious punch with venom. First arboreal IMO would be most Avics. That was my 2nd tarantula and they're relatively calm but you have to make sure to give anchor points for webbing up at the top.

Sana

Arachnoprince
I started my arboreal experience with a larger avic and I have no regrets. The first time you see a true arboreal jump a good distance (avics included) is quite the experience. I was nervous for a while after witnessing my first real jump. Better to have that happen with an avic than a psalmo.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
I want to get an arboreal but I don't know which ones are good for beginners since I have never had an arboreal tarantula before
I always suggest A.Purpurea or C.Laeta for first arboreal. You want one around two inches to start. After you got used to those, then I'd upgrade to Psalmies.

jaycied

Arachnoknight
P. irminia is definitely not an intro arboreal. It's more commonly used as a bridge into OW because of their speed, defensiveness, and venom potency relative to other NW. I would probably go with an A. avic instead.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
If I could go back in time I would buy all of my Psalmopoeus before I bought any of my Avics. I haven't had a single Psalm come out of the container. Rehousings can be planned if you start with a deli cup.

Psalms are a piece of cake on husbandry if you give them the correct setup.

Gman32176

Arachnopeon
My irminia is the only T that I don't really like working with so far... Soooooo fast. Mind you, I'm still a noob but I've already been focusing on OW sp. (primarily P. murinus) and I'd rather rehouse my big girl than my 2.5/3" irminia sling. It does seem to be one of my more defensive sp. as well, but (again) I'm an OW lover so that doesn't really bother me too much. Given, I guess it's also a lot different when it's an angry arboreal. :rolleyes:

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
I want to get an arboreal but I don't know which ones are good for beginners since I have never had an arboreal tarantula before
My first arboreal was C. versicolor, I got 3 of them then shortly got 4 more avics. ^.^ Some people claim avics have a high mortality rate and can be unforgiving with mistakes, but as long as you have a general idea of proper setup I think they are wonderful first arboreals. They have beautiful colors, grow fairly quick (have a medium growth rate), and are pretty docile. :p They have been really easy to take care of for me and are very good eaters. ^.^

Gman32176

Arachnopeon
My first arboreal was C. versicolor, I got 3 of them then shortly got 4 more avics. ^.^ Some people claim avics have a high mortality rate and can be unforgiving with mistakes, but as long as you have a general idea of proper setup I think they are wonderful first arboreals. They have beautiful colors, grow fairly quick (have a medium growth rate), and are pretty docile. :p They have been really easy to take care of for me and are very good eaters. ^.^
Love my little A. purpurea. Like I said, I'm a noob and I've heard these are one of the more delicate species. It's molted twice for me since I got it and I'm hoping it's going to be in premolt rather soon. :p Such a fat little thing right now.

Jaycooks1

Arachnopeon
I have an AVic. AVic for my first arboreal. Had various NW Mexican Ts from the pet store before her. She is 2.5-3 inches hides alot but I see her out in the night or early mornings. If I touch the enclosure she goes straight to the cork bark and stays in while I clean. She is fast I have seen her rocket out of her web for pray and it surprised me. And she is pretty i love seeing those pink toes hanging over the cork bark. :happy: Iridopelma Hirsutum is next on my list. Then a Psalmo. or Gooty