Is a heat lamp okay for a desert species that likes a dry climate?

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
The only real problem with heat lamps (ceramic bulb) is that they make the air bone-dry. But what about a desert species that needs dry air? Especially an adult scorpion that will never molt again.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
In all honesty I don't see a single valid reason and I fail to realize all those 'myths' behind those lamps. If a certain species 'loves dry', then offer a dry set up parameter and done. The less lights, the better, when it comes to arachnids. They enjoy dark, quiet, peace :-s

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
In all honesty I don't see a single valid reason and I fail to realize all those 'myths' behind those lamps. If a certain species 'loves dry', then offer a dry set up parameter and done. The less lights, the better, when it comes to arachnids. They enjoy dark, quiet, peace :-s
probably shouldve clarified that i meant a lightless lamp. ceramic bulb.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
probably shouldve clarified that i meant a lightless lamp. ceramic bulb.
"Peggio che andar di notte..." :)

Those create a lot of heat, really you can keep a desert specie without those devices without issues. It's all about the set up parameters. And btw a little water dish needs to be present as well, captivity doesn't offer what the wild can.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
I use a IR heat lamp mostly just at night for my desert Hairy. When it's on hese actually a bit more active in his enclosure. He sits out and underneath it on his bark. But I hover it over his enclosure not sitting right on top so it's not a microwave in there . I live in SoCal. US. It gets cold here at night

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I dont use ceramic bulbs, I use infrared lights, and theyve worked fine for me for like 6 years now

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
infrared is the best. you can keep it nice and warm without hot spots, no problem with overheating. It's also a wonderful way to keep humidity-loving species warm without drying the enclosure out