Is a glazed flower pot ok to use as a hide?

SpiderSoup

Arachnopeon
I already tried searching the forums, they mention unglazed terracotta pots but not glazed ones. My A. Chalcodes needed a new hide, and the pet supply shops either had too big or too little enclosures. I found an unused glazed flower pot with a pretty design on it, funnily enough it had old cobwebs in it, so in a sense it was already spider tested. I know for a fact the garden it was used in previously never used pesticides.I cleaned and scrubbed it thoroughly, and dried it before putting it in. I put it in on it's side, and my T seems to like it, but I just want to be extra sure it is safe for my T, so if anyone knows of anything in a glazed flower pot that would be toxic, please let me know. Thanks.

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
It should be fine, just break it in half so it doesn't restrict burrowing.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've used it. Cork bark is lighter. I like objects with less mass.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Not a big fan, but you can break it in half and open the back to allow her to burrow is if she wants. To make it more realistic or to cover any sharp point you can use aquarium safe silicone and to cover it with substrate.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I have seen people take plastic bottles cut them up or pvc pipe and coat them with aquarium safe silicone then put coco fiber all over it, let it dry and it looks pretty naturalistic.

Imagination and a craft skill can go a long way in this hobby.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
If you break a glazed pot in half, please make sure to grind down the edges. Glaze is essentially a thin layer of glass, so a broken edge of a glazed pot will be extremely sharp. As long as the edges are sanded down, it's fine to use.

TimmmyTarantula

Arachnopeon
nothing wrong with using glazed ceramic I use a few pots I made back in college ceramics in some of my tanks. just stay away from painted pots, I bought an orchid in a nice pot at home depot that appeared glazed and after a few months of it being outside watering etc all the "glaze" peeled and wore away. So just be on the lookout for glazed vs enamel painted