is a 5 gallon big enough for a flat rock?

neveragain

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i read on invertcare.com that you can house adults in a 5 gallon tank, so i bought one, but i got my flatrock today in the mail, and i have a feeling that the tank isnt big enough. should i move it into a 10 gallon?

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I might get some disagreement here (which is more than welcome), but my opinion is the 5 gallon is fine. It's true that terrestrial scorps have a fairly large territory in the wild, but to my knowledge, reletively small enclosures have no known negative effects on scorps. This is all within reason, of course, but I would guess that a flat rock could be kept in a large ziplock brand microwave container (kind of like tupperware) without a problem. I think those have the floor space of what would be a 3 gallon tank. Don't waste the money or space on a ten gallon--esp not for one scorp.

Peace,
Chris

neveragain

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well i already have an empty 10 gallon tank sitting on top of a stand, so the money or space thing woudlnt be a problem.

thanks for the help though.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
We keep ours in a 5 gallon. Plenty large in my opinion.

Cheers,
Dave

steve055

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
When it comes to Flat Rock scorps the most important thing in your set-up should be surface area inside your tank. Flat rocks prefer to spend their time in cracks in rocks, as you can very well tell by their flat body shape. Most people have had good luck lose stacking slate inside their tanks. When i wrote those care sheets, the tank size was ment to be a suggestion. I would a agree that if your flat rock is large a 10 gal may be better. But i dont think a 5 gallon would be bad.

Last edited:

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I`ve got two Emps. in a 30gal long. Its huge, but why not they sure aren`t complainig . In fact i see them alot more as they explore all the tank. Theres only a couple of large rocks on the soil suface that they burrow under and a couple other little hides. i will soon put a small fern in there and maybe a couple more females .That will pretty much be all the tank will house . Hey if you can give them more space . Then i say why Not?

Mat ;>

neveragain

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
how is this for its enclosure? did i get too carried away with the rocks? there are 2 spots in there for it to hide in.
also, is that water dish too big?

thanks for all your help everyone.

Attachments

blackacidevil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
5 gal. seems fine but if you aren't using the 10 gal. for something don't let it go to waste........or do you have future plans for it?

neveragain

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
it is going to be the home for my baby cali king snake when it gets a little bigger. but i could always just buy another 10 gallon tank. i work at a petstore, so i can get a 10 gallon tank with the screen top for about 10 bucks.

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah i like your set up i also got a flat rock a olive keeled one on the way what kind is yours?

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hey, that's the same dish I have in my millipede 30 gallon tub. I thought I had an original!

That looks like the Ritz-Carlton for scorps! No, I do not think you got carried away. You have fulfilled two important criteria:

1. You have a great home for your pet to feel comfortable in. Just make sure there is zero chance for an avalanche.

2. You have a setup that makes YOU happy. If you don't enjoy it, its not worth having.

I had my AGB millidedes in a 5 gallon, then an 18 gallon, now a 30 gallon. I had to find a size enclosure that "I" was comfortable with. I'm sure I could keep them alive in a much smaller space, but the setup as it is now adds to MY enjoyment...which is important!

Originally posted by neveragain
how is this for its enclosure? did i get too carried away with the rocks? there are 2 spots in there for it to hide in.
also, is that water dish too big?

thanks for all your help everyone.

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
There's no such thing as carried away with an enclosure if it suits it's purpose well and is realistic, to boot. Here's a link to a pic of my spinifer enclosure. It's only a close-up, but still, it shows a little bit of the detail I go into with my enclosures. It's a 75 gallon tank. I believe I also posted it under the enclosure thread (not positive).

http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/index.pl?photo=64740

adios,
edw. =D PS: maybe the link will work. :D

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yes, Dave, that is moss growing on the rocks and on the bark on the backwall. It assists me to an unprecedented amount in holding humidity levels higher.

adios,
edw. :D

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Did you start it using the standard "buttermilk paint" method, or do you have some other trick to share with us?

Cheers,
Dave

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Actually, I got some it on the stones from my back yard (I live in North Ga, so it's all over the place, plus I bought some different types from the local plant store [all being pesticide free]). I put the stones in the microwave on defrost for 20 seconds to kill anything else and after setting up the tanks with them, the moss came back healthier than ever with frequent mistings and low level UV rays with good shading methods for the moss (I chose them because the scorps always hide when white lights come on anyway, and the scorpion can not be harmed unless they are directly hit with UV rays. I use window tint on the hood glass to block the harmful UV rays out and allow good shade). I find the good stones next to Oak trees, usually, because the oaks tend to break up boulders and I get small, manageable stones out of it. Most of what I use is found within a thirty mile radius of my house. There really is some good stuff around here.

adios,
edw. :D

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by skinheaddave
Did you start it using the standard "buttermilk paint" method, or do you have some other trick to share with us?

Cheers,
Dave

What method is that?

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
XO,

Interesting. And so you've found that it spreads well too?

Valael,

You take moss and some buttermilk and put it through the blender (slow speed). You then paint it onto whatever surface you want to be mossy. It smells awful for a while but the moss should take.

Cheers,
Dave

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Dave,

Indeed, it does spread quite well. In a year or so, I'll probably have to "weed out" some of it from the humid enclosures in order to see the stones again. *lol* But it's well worth it in order to have the extremely realistic appearance of it.

bout time for work...
adios,
edw. :(