Is a 15cm enclosure too big for a sling that has a legspan of about 1.5cm?

alexbwkim

Arachnopeon
First time keeping a tarantula, this is the only enclosure (and smallest) that I had available. Is it too large?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
First time keeping a tarantula, this is the only enclosure (and smallest) that I had available. Is it too large?
What species are you getting? The following applies to terrestrial species:

As long as you have appropriate cage furnishings, excessive horizontal space doesn't endanger your tarantula, though it may make it harder for the tarantula to find its prey.

However, you want to make sure that the vertical space (the distance between the top of the substrate and the lid) doesn't exceed 1.5 times the tarantula's leg span. This becomes more important as your sling grows. The bigger and bulkier your tarantula is, the more vulnerable it is to falls. (A long fall can rupture the tarantula's abdomen, which is often lethal.)

alexbwkim

Arachnopeon
What species are you getting? The following applies to terrestrial species:

As long as you have appropriate cage furnishings, excessive horizontal space doesn't endanger your tarantula, though it may make it harder for the tarantula to find its prey.

However, you want to make sure that the vertical space (the distance between the top of the substrate and the lid) doesn't exceed 1.5 times the tarantula's leg span. This becomes more important as your sling grows. The bigger and bulkier your tarantula is, the more vulnerable it is to falls. (A long fall can rupture the tarantula's abdomen, which is often lethal.)
...well it escaped and i found it chilling on the side of the enclosure. I have transferred it to the small jar it came it once I refurnished it with some sphagnum and drilled some holes on the top. This enclosure should be more suitable, and I have accounted for the height, and made it less tall.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Post some photos of the enclosure and we can help better. It's hard to know what you are using otherwise.

It's good you were able to find it once it escaped.

Good luck.