Is 100% silicone safe to use underwater or should i only use aquarium silicone? Pictures of enclosure attached

SamanthaMarikian

Arachnoknight
Im buying a diy enclosure from someone for $75 and he said it has some leaks in the little water feature at the bottom. Is 100% silicone for bathrooms safe to use or do i need to get aquarium silicone? Ive heard mixed opinions. Im going to be redecorating it since the paint job isnt a great look lol. It’s going to be for my timor monitor ✨Brick✨ who enjoys the water

Attachments

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Im buying a diy enclosure from someone for $75 and he said it has some leaks in the little water feature at the bottom. Is 100% silicone for bathrooms safe to use or do i need to get aquarium silicone? Ive heard mixed opinions. Im going to be redecorating it since the paint job isnt a great look lol. It’s going to be for my timor monitor ✨Brick✨ who enjoys the water
You need aquarium silicone. The one for the bathroom is a wearing part and does not last nearly as long...

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
As long as it is 100% silicone it’s fine. If it smells like vinegar it’s the good stuff.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Only use Aquarium safe silicone - all others contain Anti- Mildew/ Mould preventing chemicals.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It’s an aquarium- use aquarium safe

Why would you think the other is safe or even consider it??

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
As long as it is 100% silicone it’s fine. If it smells like vinegar it’s the good stuff.
Only use Aquarium safe silicone - all others contain Anti- Mildew/ Mould preventing chemicals.
Exactly. If in the slightest doubt, squirt some of it out and sniff. It should have strong tangy vinegar odor. If there is any hint of a sort of musty smell, give it a miss. That fungicide mildewcide odor is pretty obvious. There is another version which eliminates any doubt. It's certified safe for food processing equipment and will have a government label.

Last edited:

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
I've used " GE Silicone 1* " with no problems thus far, there's no mold-inhibitors/fungicides in it as far as i know

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Then please share your experiences with the alternatives. I don't know anyone around me, including myself, who would use something other than special aquarium silicone for gluing. In my opinion, you will save money in the wrong place.
Good luck!

Last edited:

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Because there are other safe alternatives not marketed for aquariums. Like someone else suggested food safe silicone
Aquarium silicone not only is fungicide free but has very strong adherent properties. Ideal for making AQUARIUMS chemical free, strong jointing, and of course, waterproof. Why bother trying anything else that may or may not work.

Malum Argenteum

Arachnoknight
'Safe' does not equal 'tested and found to give a permanent watertight seal in underwater applications'.

'100% silicone' does not mean that it is free from toxic organotin curing agents. (Many adhesives that claim to be mildew/mold resistant do not have an agent added for this purpose; cured silicone caulk is inherently a mold-resistant surface, or at least manufacturers claim it as such. Curing catalysts are much more worrisome than fungicides, in any event. Also, since manufacturers can and do change formulations of existing products, a past reference to a supposedly 'safe' product is not necessarily reliable without reference to the current MSDS for the product in question.)

'Aquarium safe' means both that it has been tested and found to give a permanent watertight seal in underwater applications and is free from toxic curing agents and other toxic additives.

Last edited:

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Tried and True product from multiple brands readily available
"Hey is there anything else I can use?"
Some stuff I just don't quite 'get'

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
Used GE silicone one for multiple enclosures, and re sealing aquariums. If you want to pay for “aquarium” silicone by all means go for it.