Irish Moss Peat

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
Had anyone in the UK used Irish Moss Peat?

I am thinking if using as an alternative to the coir and top soil mix I currently use.

My only reservation is that Irish Moss Peat is a bit more acidic whereas coir is ph neutral.

Thoughts anyone?

Hi
I am using sage peat it holds moisture well but is a bit slow to soak up once it dries.I mixed with vermiculite to improve it a bit. And it works good.The down side is its not changing colour when it dries like coco fiber.I need to lift the enclosure to estimate how wet it is by weight of it.
Regards Konstantin

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
Hi
I am using sage peat it holds moisture well but is a bit slow to soak up once it dries.I mixed with vermiculite to improve it a bit. And it works good.The down side is its not changing colour when it dries like coco fiber.I need to lift the enclosure to estimate how wet it is by weight of it.
Regards Konstantin
Cheers buddy. Useful info 👍

basin79

ArachnoGod
Had anyone in the UK used Irish Moss Peat?

I am thinking if using as an alternative to the coir and top soil mix I currently use.

My only reservation is that Irish Moss Peat is a bit more acidic whereas coir is ph neutral.

Thoughts anyone?
I use it in all my enclosures that need to be kept damp. As you put it's slightly acidic and seems to keep mold at bay unlike damp coir.

Just need to point out it's NOT suitable for amphibians due to it being acidic.

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
I use it in all my enclosures that need to be kept damp. As you put it's slightly acidic and seems to keep mold at bay unlike damp coir.

Just need to point out it's NOT suitable for amphibians due to it being acidic.
Thanks for reply. Only intend to use for spiders. 👍

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I am assuming it is just peat moss, that is all I use in all my enclosures! never had any problems and I can use it as my organic conponent to soil mixtures.

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
I am assuming it is just peat moss, that is all I use in all my enclosures! never had any problems and I can use it as my organic conponent to soil mixtures.
Yep, just natural peat moss. I am going to try it and possibly have a 3 way mix of coir (coco fibre) top soil and peat moss.

Thanks for helping put my mind at rest that its perfectly safe. I was assuming it was but always good to get real life feedback. 👍

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Yep, just natural peat moss. I am going to try it and possibly have a 3 way mix of coir (coco fibre) top soil and peat moss.
Here I’ll help you out, what species are you planning on using it for? I would say unless there’s a reason there’s not much need to make it harder on yourself, by making mixes.
Thanks for helping put my mind at rest that its perfectly safe. I was assuming it was but always good to get real life feedback.
Yeah no problem, I have been using peat for T’s and plants for over 10yrs.

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
Here I’ll help you out, what species are you planning on using it for? I would say unless there’s a reason there’s not much need to make it harder on yourself, by making mixes.

Yeah no problem, I have been using peat for T’s and plants for over 10yrs.
Mainly for my Theraphosa species really.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Mainly for my Theraphosa species really.
I would just do Peat moss with vermiculite. With all peat moss wet it in a tub with water before hand, it usually comes compressed amd when dry alone peat is extremely hydrophobic and gets hard.

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
I would just do Peat moss with vermiculite. With all peat moss wet it in a tub with water before hand, it usually comes compressed amd when dry alone peat is extremely hydrophobic and gets hard.
Thanks again for the wonderful advice. The peat moss seems to be loose (100 litre) according to the on line info etc so hopefully will not need to much rehydration. 👍

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
I find the acidity a plus for mold control but not for most amphibians.
Acidity was my only concern (was being operative word now) as always been using coir/top soil mix for years and years but thought I would try the moss peat for the more moisture loving Ts in my collection (currently 265...ha ha) including a lovely T apophysis received today 👍

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks again for the wonderful advice. The peat moss seems to be loose (100 litre) according to the on line info etc so hopefully will not need to much rehydration. 👍
Yeah no problem you will still need to moisten it down pre putting it into the enclosure as I would be very surprised is it shipped with moisture in it!
Good luck with it and get a plant and do a little potting with it as well! 🪴