Iridopelma hirstuta pic...

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Fast as lightning and unique in that there is only one Iridopelma species. Pretty cool as adults but I like the sling coloration better. enjoy

Phil

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That's a beauty. I've never seen those. What's the common name and where do they originate from.
Mike

arachnopunks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How big is that spiderling?? We have one that is about 3 inches but it is much more peach in color. I do remember that the spiderlings carapaces had that greenish hue. You don't realize how much they change over just a few molts. We originally had 4 of them and found them to be delicate spiderlings to rear. We had a lot of problems with them dropping legs. The one we still have dropped a palp by stepping into a droplet of water. The palp stuck but the spider kept moving. 3 of the 4 died at different times over a 6 month period mysteriously. The 3rd one to die was fine when I checked in on them at night. I found it dead halfway out of a molt first thing in the morning. Luckily the one we have has been hardy. I used to dread its molts but have become confidant with time. They are fiesty and fast and get bolder with size. I never can get a good pic of it because it's built a hammock in the top of the enclosure and rears up at anything. They really are beautiful spiderlings, but look better as juvies IMO. I can't wait to see an adult. I think pictures don't do them justice. We think ours is a female. We got 4 hoping to get at least one male to see the 2 sets of tibial spurs. That is a nice photo. I wish I could get that clost to mine.

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I believe the common name is...

Ribbed tree spider.

I zorodes which was also labled as Avic zorodes from what I can tell having had one and watched it grow was actually Avicularia huriana. They both came around at about the same time and I believe the zorodes labeling was incorrect.

The size on this one is between 1/2 and 3/4 of an inch.

Phil

Lantang

Arachnopeon
I.zorodes is still as species though, as well as A.huriana, there both 2 seperate distinct species until proven wrong, which both have a 70 year difference from descriptions.
maybe it was a mix-up?But then again, you know how Avicularia's are, and Iridopelma use to be one in the same(but then again everything looked like Avicularia to early explorers)...

arachnopunks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have always noticed that it goes from I. zorodes to A. zorodes and back again. Last time I checked it was back to Iridopelma zorodes. I may be wrong about this because I can't remember where I read this, but I thought that I. zorodes and I. hirsuta where the only 2 species where mature males have tibial spurs on the front 2 pairs of legs giving them 4 tibial spurs in all. Someone let me know if I am right or wrong about this.

-Jill

James- Yes, they are arboreal. Ours is very acrobatic and rarely is seen on the ground. Here is a pic of an adult at Rick West's site. I have to say that this is one spider that pictures do no justice to. http://www.birdspiders.com/archive/1/0163.htm