Invertory - world's first invertebrate inventory tracker (TARANTULAS TOO)

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
...except that Excel *is* an app?

"App" is short for "application", which is simply another word for "program".

Regarding the "superiority" of paper over electronic media: all it takes is one fire, one flood, one disaster to obliterate decades of paper records, unless one goes through the tedium of copying each record and placing it in multiple locations. Electronic media can be backed up to a cloud, in *addition* to any location in which a paper copy can be stored, and done so in a fraction of the time and effort it takes to copy paper. I love paper, too, don't get me wrong, but if I care about data, it's electronic, simple as that. Paper is far too easily lost. I cite the Library at Alexandria as an exemplar of the frailty of paper.
Yesterday, my girlfriend's phone flipped out for no reason and reset itself to factory... wiping EVERYTHING she had on it. Technology does this, and quite often. I have had computers fail and I have lost everything on them.

As for this "cloud" storage... I abhor the idea that any of my information (even just T records) would be stored in a "public" place. I am a very private person... I can keep paper copies secure in a way that technology never has and never will be able to accomodate.

As for a fire or flood... well, they DO make security boxes that are fireproof and waterproof if you want to go that far. Storing important paper documents in them is far more secure than anything electronic.

Torech Ungol

Arachnosquire
If there's a fire or flood in my tarantula room, all of my inverts would be dead as well, so the paper records for an entirely dead collection wouldn't be needed, really. The cart needs a horse. And frankly, if there's a fire or flood, losing a log book of whether Sling X rejected a mealworm would honestly be the least of my worries.
Sure, I'll absolutely grant that a fire would cause many more problems than simply a loss of data. But, just as I wouldn't toss records of a loved one just because they died, neither would I toss records of a dead spider. That's all I was trying to say mentioning a fire. :)

Theneil

Arachnoprince
@EulersK

1. i meant one i can add to my post LOL.

2. How did you do that? Do some people get more ratings than others? i've s3en beer, cookie, and now popcorn ratings from other people but i don't see the option for me to rate those things. Or is it just that i am usually on my phone instead of a real computer?

miamc12321

Arachnopeon
Yesterday, my girlfriend's phone flipped out for no reason and reset itself to factory... wiping EVERYTHING she had on it. Technology does this, and quite often. I have had computers fail and I have lost everything on them.

As for this "cloud" storage... I abhor the idea that any of my information (even just T records) would be stored in a "public" place. I am a very private person... I can keep paper copies secure in a way that technology never has and never will be able to accomodate.

As for a fire or flood... well, they DO make security boxes that are fireproof and waterproof if you want to go that far. Storing important paper documents in them is far more secure than anything electronic.
Oh, my Gods, I agree with all of this. I tried to agree with your post, Teal, but it put a thumbs down. Fixed it to agree, because I absolutely agree with you!!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
@EulersK

1. i meant one i can add to my post LOL.

2. How did you do that? Do some people get more ratings than others? i've s3en beer, cookie, and now popcorn ratings from other people but i don't see the option for me to rate those things. Or is it just that i am usually on my phone instead of a real computer?
Arachnosupporter users have access to more ratings than base users :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
...except that Excel *is* an app?

"App" is short for "application", which is simply another word for "program".

Regarding the "superiority" of paper over electronic media: all it takes is one fire, one flood, one disaster to obliterate decades of paper records, unless one goes through the tedium of copying each record and placing it in multiple locations. Electronic media can be backed up to a cloud, in *addition* to any location in which a paper copy can be stored, and done so in a fraction of the time and effort it takes to copy paper. I love paper, too, don't get me wrong, but if I care about data, it's electronic, simple as that. Paper is far too easily lost. I cite the Library at Alexandria as an exemplar of the frailty of paper.
Indeed you are correct in your computer understanding. When I used the "word", "app", I meant the small programs people download on their phones.

Yes, all your disasters affect electronics AND paper, so that line of thought nets you zero.

All things being equal, what's more likely, a paper will last hundreds of years, or something will go wrong with a sever.... :rolleyes:

I've never lost a piece of paper, but I sure have lost data due to a drive crash.

I'll take paper over electronic trash any day of the week for the purpos mentioned above.

I'm not here to change your mind or vice versa. This topic has been discussed extensively between some members years ago. Nothing has changed, and nothing ever will.

Also, it's far, far, faster for me to record data on paper, than on a computer for this purpose. I can open a small notebook and write a few characters faster than entering data on a phone or computer (even if they are on hahaha).