Invertory - world's first invertebrate inventory tracker (TARANTULAS TOO)

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
As for a desktop app, we haven’t discussed that, but for sure we can look into it. Wouldn’t be too tricky! Of course a PC has FAR more capabilities so we’d love to make a seperate more capable version for the PC that takes advantage of the extra power, but that will require extra development time, so definitely something for the future.
I second the desktop app, I keep all my records on there already and it's the most convenient place for me to have them. In the future if a desktop app was produced, but we already had the mobile version, would it be possible to have the data transferred between the two? Would we have to pay separately for both programs or could we buy it on mobile and have the upgraded version on desktop as well?

ToxoHP

Arachnopeon
I second the desktop app, I keep all my records on there already and it's the most convenient place for me to have them. In the future if a desktop app was produced, but we already had the mobile version, would it be possible to have the data transferred between the two? Would we have to pay separately for both programs or could we buy it on mobile and have the upgraded version on desktop as well?
We would most certainly have the ability to transfer data between the two for sure, apart from PC-only features. As for payment side of things, a PC program would have to be a bit more expensive, as our plan for that wasn't just for home owners, but for zoos and research facilities too. But I don't see why we can't add a loyalty discount for those purchased the premium app!

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
I got some simple remedies for some of the issues you’ve mentioned. Those are staying under lock and key though, as I’m sure you understand.

I like the idea, and have a similar one brewing for an overlapping user base.

I wish you the best of luck with this.

miamc12321

Arachnopeon
there is already a tarantula app out there. i hate it. i hope this will be an improvement. honestly, i dont see much use to the things. pen and paper works just fine.
Agreed entirely! We are on our second notebook of records for our collection just from the past few years.

In thr past, I made a spreadsheet template that I printed out blank copies of and wrote in the details.

We keep track of species, sex, acquisition date/place, molts, feedings, breedings, and sacs laid... Each and every sling I produce gets their own record page starting when they are separated at 2i.
I agree with them. Nothing beats a pad of paper and a pilot pen for me. Also, it helps me remember key things when I write it down myself. Technology has failed me. The old pen and pad has not.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I'll probably give it a bash to see what it's like but I already have and like the tarantulas android app so it's going to have to be pretty special to get me to switch tbh.

Minty

@londontarantulas
Have been recently looking for a good way of keeping records. Tried the tarantula app but wasn't a fan.

Would love to see how you lay out your spreadsheet! Have been playing around with different lyouts the last 2 days
I'll take a screenshot for you, tomorrow. Be prepared to be underwhelmed though, it's nothing fancy. I just have a tarantula per row, with a few columns of information, such as species, sex, last moult, last ate, DLS, where bought from, country of origin, CB or WC, when bought.

Jacobob

Arachnopeon
I'll probably give it a bash to see what it's like but I already have and like the tarantulas android app so it's going to have to be pretty special to get me to switch tbh.
They don’t have that app for IOS so I’ll probably be giving this one a try when it comes out.

Jacobob

Arachnopeon
They don’t have that app for IOS so I’ll probably be giving this one a try when it comes out.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Can't stand Apple products personally but the android app does everything I need it to so unless the new app is better then I might as well stick with what works.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
In the famous word of the crappiest USA leader "WRONG". Electronic data app such as this is inferior to paper and pen.
This post is everything and needs a "funny" AND "love" reaction.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Yeah it's called MS Excel
Exactly. I'll never understand the point of apps like these. Excel is exceedingly easy to use, and Google has a free version (Sheets). And if you know what you're doing, you can even program it to calculate... anything, really. Time between feedings, average molt time, days since last meal, etc etc etc

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Exactly. I'll never understand the point of apps like these. Excel is exceedingly easy to use, and Google has a free version (Sheets). And if you know what you're doing, you can even program it to calculate... anything, really. Time between feedings, average molt time, days since last meal, etc etc etc
Completely agree. Id use excel over anything if I was going to drop paper.

Even Excel on a tablet is superior to an app.

Torech Ungol

Arachnosquire
Completely agree. Id use excel over anything if I was going to drop paper.

Even Excel on a tablet is superior to an app.
...except that Excel *is* an app?

"App" is short for "application", which is simply another word for "program".

Regarding the "superiority" of paper over electronic media: all it takes is one fire, one flood, one disaster to obliterate decades of paper records, unless one goes through the tedium of copying each record and placing it in multiple locations. Electronic media can be backed up to a cloud, in *addition* to any location in which a paper copy can be stored, and done so in a fraction of the time and effort it takes to copy paper. I love paper, too, don't get me wrong, but if I care about data, it's electronic, simple as that. Paper is far too easily lost. I cite the Library at Alexandria as an exemplar of the frailty of paper.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
...except that Excel *is* an app?

"App" is short for "application", which is simply another word for "program".

Regarding the "superiority" of paper over electronic media: all it takes is one fire, one flood, one disaster to obliterate decades of paper records, unless one goes through the tedium of copying each record and placing it in multiple locations. Electronic media can be backed up to a cloud, in *addition* to any location in which a paper copy can be stored, and done so in a fraction of the time and effort it takes to copy paper. I love paper, too, don't get me wrong, but if I care about data, it's electronic, simple as that. Paper is far too easily lost. I cite the Library at Alexandria as an exemplar of the frailty of paper.
If there's a fire or flood in my tarantula room, all of my inverts would be dead as well, so the paper records for an entirely dead collection wouldn't be needed, really. The cart needs a horse. And frankly, if there's a fire or flood, losing a log book of whether Sling X rejected a mealworm would honestly be the least of my worries.