Suggestion Invertebrates, Culture, and Mythology

HooahArmy

Arachnoknight
In the time that I've been on this board on my own account and lurking on my brother's account (2 years. Thanks, Aran. Sorry for mooching), I've noted that there isn't a section that could be devoted to invertebrates in mythology and cultural folktales or histories. Site members who love their invertebrates might be interested in tales of Arachne, Anansi, Khepri, or Sepa; all of whom are deities and patrons of invertebrates. Tales from fellow arachnid collectors in my area have likewise made note of the importance of spiders and scorpions in their Native American cultures. They worry their folktales and practices regarding the creatures may die out with no one to share with.
I myself have my heritage rooted in a small Chinese tribal village where tarantulas are hailed as holy creatures, presented to the ill or elderly to keep to imbue the gift of longevity. Millipedes are common patron totems for those who learn the healing arts, the millipede considered in my culture to be the world's first doctor.
If there was a section specifically for invertebrates and culture, I'm certain a lot of folks would love to share their stories! I sure would!
Anyone with me?!

Arachnopets

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
Hi,

Interesting idea. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

At this time, we do not see the need for it to have it's own section. However, feel free to share your tarantula stories in the Tarantula Chat section, and your millipede stories in the Myriapods section (or any other appropriate related section).

Regards,

Debby