Invertebrates and the USDA as of 2021

isopodgeek

Arachnosquire
Hello everyone, I am new here. I Have a few questions.

1. Do I need a 526 PPQ permit to receive isopods from a different state?
I know that I need one to sell them at all as confirmed by someone from the USDA who I contacted.
2. Do I need a permit to sell Centepedes in my state and across state lines?
3. Do I need a permit to sell a true spider in my state and across state line?

Thanks in advance.

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
1. Most likely yes. A PPQ 526 is not required for native species but IS required for any interstate movement of non-native OR naturalized species (the latter of which includes all Porcellio and Armadillidium. Most exotic species will also require a containment facility.
2. No PPQs are required for selling or purchasing of centipedes.
3. No PPQs are required for ANY arachnid species.
4. You did not mention beetles or millipedes but I will outline the basics for those too. With a few exceptions (notable Goliathus species and species in the family Carabidae), almost all beetles require PPQ's for interstate movement. No native or naturalized species of millipedes require permits for interstate movement but ALL exotics do.
Also the best guide on what requires permits and what doesn't can be found at The Mantis Menagerie's website, https://themantismenagerie.com/usda/, a great resource for individuals and institutions alike.
Stay safe and mind your PPQ's!

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
*Class Acari (under arachnids) does require permits but it has very few implications for you or I.

isopodgeek

Arachnosquire
1. Most likely yes. A PPQ 526 is not required for native species but IS required for any interstate movement of non-native OR naturalized species (the latter of which includes all Porcellio and Armadillidium. Most exotic species will also require a containment facility.
2. No PPQs are required for selling or purchasing of centipedes.
3. No PPQs are required for ANY arachnid species.
4. You did not mention beetles or millipedes but I will outline the basics for those too. With a few exceptions (notable Goliathus species and species in the family Carabidae), almost all beetles require PPQ's for interstate movement. No native or naturalized species of millipedes require permits for interstate movement but ALL exotics do.
Also the best guide on what requires permits and what doesn't can be found at The Mantis Menagerie's website, https://themantismenagerie.com/usda/, a great resource for individuals and institutions alike.
Stay safe and mind your PPQ's!
Thank you so much. Now I know I can sell my centipedes and spiders. One more question. Do I need a permit to receive isopods out of state?

isopodgeek

Arachnosquire
Thank you for all of your help. I just talked to someone from the USDA and you are right. One does need a permit to receive exotic Isopods. However, she also said that one needs a permit to sell spiders and centipedes whether it is in your state or across statelines.

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
Unfortunately the only USDA exempted Cuparis species is Cuparis murina, so yes, you would need a permit to receive rubber ducky isopods, and another one to sell. As for the selling of Arachnids and Chilopoda, is this a brand new rule? It seems to contradict a lot of existing information and has the potential to upend much of the hobby.

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
I am aware that permits are required for all USDA regulated inverts, but it was my understanding that there was an exemption for arachnids, chilopoda, and a few insect families. When did this change?

isopodgeek

Arachnosquire
I am aware that permits are required for all USDA regulated inverts, but it was my understanding that there was an exemption for arachnids, chilopoda, and a few insect families. When did this change?
I am not sure when this change, this is what I was told when I called the USDA. I just recently called to ask what species of Invertebrates are exempt from permits at all. She said that she doesn’t exactly know as the paper is in her office which she can’t get too for a while.

isopodgeek

Arachnosquire
Just found a list from the USDA APHIS on exempt invertebrates! It also lists fungi and viruses. It just lists a bunch of cockroaches, other insects and some mites that are exempt from permits. It was last modified June 2, 2020.

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
The 2020 exemptions were additional exemptions. No complete list of deregulated organisms exist because there are so many. The closest thing we have is The Mantis Menagerie's website (who has been working on USDA deregulation for quite a few years). I am a little hesitant to believe that arachnids and centipedes require permits until I get more information as it seems to go against most of the knowledge I currently possess, including what I have gained from the institutions I work with. Please keep updating as you get more information though.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
By the sounds of it this USDA official is likely misinformed on the subject of arachnids and chilopods (this is not uncommon in the slightest), unless she is referring to some state regulation.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

isopodgeek

Arachnosquire
By the sounds of it this USDA official is likely misinformed on the subject of arachnids and chilopods (this is not uncommon in the slightest), unless she is referring to some state regulation.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
You are probably right. Sorry for all the confusion.

isopodgeek

Arachnosquire
I applied for a 526 PPQ Permit yesterday. I added every invertebrate I wish to sell, keep and receive. How long does it take until I get a response?

Last edited:

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
Anywhere from 30 days to 6 months, and currently the backlog is tremendous. It also depends on what species you applied for, as MANY species (including rubber ducky isopods) stipulate the possession of a containment facility. Said facility would need to be inspected and approved by APHIS, lengthening the approval process. I am also in the midst of the PPQ 526 application process but am still trying to get my identity verified (welcome to government bureaucracy). In the meantime there are a few species of millipede, beetles, and roaches that I (or you!) am able to possess without documentation. I also have the good fortune to do some work with exotic species under an institution's permit.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
This is for millipedes, but the general idea applies to other invertebrates.

Thanks,

Arthroverts