Invert enclosures in human living space?

davehuth

Arachnoknight
I know many of us have dedicated "Bug Rooms" (or closets, corners, basements, garages) to keep breeding bins, feeders, stackable tubs for our collections, etc.). But I was wondering how many people keep an enclosure or two out where the animals can be seen by family members, guests, etc.

I've recently moved my mixed species desert beetle display tank to my home's living room, and it made me wonder if others keep beetles, millipedes, tarantulas, and other arthropets integrated into their living spaces and out in view of the humans (or other mammals?) who share or visit your home?

Does this aggravate squeamish relatives? Weird out your guests? Make the babysitter uneasy? Or does it help spread the love, and interest the people in these cool animals? Feel free to share photos or descriptions of how you do it :)

InvertAddiction

Arachnoknight
I have one of those metal 5 tier racks in my living room with all my inverts and my leopard gecko's 20 gal long tank is on a book case in my living room as well. When I first got into the hobby, I had an Animal Room (my spare bedroom) and when I went through a really bad breakup, I ended up having to sell my entire collection (40+ T's, 87+ scorpions). Truthfully, I didn't think I'd get back into the hobby again, so my spare room became my storage space/gaming room. As addictive as this hobby is, it only took me a year and a half to get back into it again. When the rare occasion occurs and I have guests over, they are fascinated by the species I have and ask me general questions and I get the ability to educate :D

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
I have mine in the bed room as it is much easier to heat with a space heater during the winters. I would make a nice display rack in the living room if I wasn’t renting.

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
When my sub 3" spiders get their permanent enclosures, I intend to have them in our living space.

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
Mine are scattered throughout the house; the living room, family room, bedroom and laundry room all have enclosures in them. I like to see mine.

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I almost had my ex wife convinced to let me build a showcase tank for our 8 foot boa in our living room. She liked the snake too and was fine with it until she discovered my true motivation behind it.

Maybe that's why she is my ex.

Bree24

Arachnosquire
phooey on house guests. That’s like saying you’d lock your dog away because your guests don’t like it. Maybe you might, but I personally would not. My pets are my family, and my home belongs to them, not my guests.

My flat is very small; less than 120 square feet. My bedroom is also my kitchen and my living room, and my bed is also my couch. I have a little display shelf/night stand sitting next to my bed with all my Ts hanging out on it. It’s fun because they’re all sitting under a red light, so I can watch them while I fall asleep at night. I thought about setting up an invert stand in my closet, but then I’d never get to see them, so I scrapped that idea. If people come over, my eight legged friends are front and center.

I almost had my ex wife convinced to let me build a showcase tank for our 8 foot boa in our living room. She liked the snake too and was fine with it until she discovered my true motivation behind it.

Maybe that's why she is my ex.
What was the true motivation?

Last edited by a moderator:

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
My invert room is the living room. I live by myself in a one bedroom apartment and I spend most of my time in the bedroom anyways so it's a great place to keep them. Plenty of space too. I don't have very many guests so sadly there isn't a chance to turn any fears into some interest/education but I hope that I get that chance.

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What was the true motivation?
Her mom hated snakes and threatened never to come and visit if she ever saw it in our house.

phooey on house guests. That’s like saying you’d lock your dog away because your guests don’t like it. Maybe you might, but I personally would not. My pets are my family, and my home belongs to them, not my guests.

My flat is very small; less than 120 square feet. My bedroom is also my kitchen and my living room, and my bed is also my couch. I have a little display shelf/night stand sitting next to my bed with all my Ts hanging out on it. It’s fun because they’re all sitting under a red light, so I can watch them while I fall asleep at night. I thought about setting up an invert stand in my closet, but then I’d never get to see them, so I scrapped that idea. If people come over, my eight legged friends are front and center.
Depends on the dog and the guests although most dog owners don't see the faults in their pets. I have two friends who I will not visit because of their dogs. One because I don't trust the vicious little bitch (she bit me once) and the other because the dam little rat won't stop jumping up on my lap and trying to lick my face. My ex boss had a lab who for the first three years I though his name was gunner don't jump. Since dogs are like children and only do what their parents allow them to do I guess it may be more accurate to to say I won't visit because they way they don't control their dogs

I have one fish tank and a crested gecko tank in my living room everything else is in my spare bedroom. Of course on the rare occasion I do have a guest over we spend 95% of the time in the spare bedroom with the animals so even if I had them in the living room it wouldn't be a problem. The main reason I keep them in there is because although my landlord knows I have some animals I don't think he has a clue as to the extent of it.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
Most of my inverts are in the main living area. I also have a few in the bedroom and keep the feeders in the laundry room. Personally I really don't care if guests don't like them. It's my house and I want them there, that's all that counts. The only exception I make is when my youngest grandchildren (3 and 1 years old) are over for a visit, then I move all venomous inverts into the bedroom temporarily and keep the door closed for the safety of the kids and the animals.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
My mother in law wont come on my house because of my redtail .lol never mind the monitors..ha ha ha
Lol, reminds me of when my then husband and I got my redtail boa many years ago. She was just a little thing maybe 15 inches, we had an old console tv that we gutted and repurposed as an enclosure so it just looked like a piece of furniture at first glance. It was just inside the front door, my mother in law walked in took a good look and literally ran screaming out the door. She never came over again, it was great :)

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
But I was wondering how many people keep an enclosure or two out where the animals can be seen by family members, guests, etc.
All of my tarantulas are on the desk and shelf next to the computer. (However, my husband likes my tarantulas, so this is not an issue.)

Does this aggravate squeamish relatives? Weird out your guests? Make the babysitter uneasy? Or does it help spread the love, and interest the people in these cool animals? Feel free to share photos or descriptions of how you do it :)
We don't really have guests over due to limited space, but I wouldn't hide my tarantulas for guests. If they don't like it, they don't have to come over. (For certain people, I'd consider discouraging them from coming over to be a feature, not a bug.)

I have used offers to bring one of my mother's "grandspiders" over to visit in order to get her to stop nagging me about having grandchildren for her.

davehuth

Arachnoknight
Since I started this thread, I've more than doubled the original size of my living room beetle tank. Mammal approved! :-D
79659900_948839143306_7024152428282904576_o.jpg

Kitara

Arachnodemon
LOL too cute. "Why are my treats stuck in this box?!?"

To answer your original question, yes, ours are out in the living area and in my office so I can see them. I look at them multiple times a day because I just love them. They're where the cat's can't get to them because they're smaller enclosures that can be knocked over.

Squeamish visitors can suck it. They can either deal or choose not to come over. Fine by me. :D

Criteria

Arachnopeon
My millipede tanks are in my living room, I've not had any complaints thus far.

People are more often than not fascinated by them, even if they do find it a bit weird.

Crush23

Arachnopeon
I keep most in my bedroom but I also have choice enclosures in my living room. I was hesitant at first but my dad convinced me on one. Then, I threw a friend's giving dinner thing and was surprised how many people were interested which encouraged me to make my fishing spider paludarium.
Im starting a desert beetle enclosure but it'll move slow since it's winter and too cold to ship anything.

Attachments

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I personally choose to keep all my inverts out on display in my living room and bedroom. Me and my girlfriends house is basically an insect museum. I have my entomology collection of Lepidoptera, Odonata, phasmatodea, mantodea, as well as other orders hanging on the walls. The live Mantids and Phasmids happily reside in the living room, and the tarantulas make their home on my desk.
My butterfly net is hanging on the wall and there’s always pinning and spreading boards out on the dining room table with specimens being pinned. It’s an entomology house all the way!