Introduction and some questions

dairy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi, I'm new to the boards and never owned a scorp, spider or even a goldfish. Although I did keep a snake I caught for a summer :D I've been "lurking" on the boards and this seems like a good place to find info, ideas etc. so here goes:

I want to get a scorpion and after looking around, I think I'll go with the standard starter scorp, an Emperor. I want to eventually keep them communally so I'm thinking I can buy a bigger tank now, and put a partition in it. Something like a 20 gallon split in half with perforated plexi-glass, and a locking gate in the middle.

My first question is "What's a false bottom?" I keep seeing it recommended, but I'm not sure exactly what it is. Is it essentially a grate on the bottom of the tank to allow water to drain from the substrate? If that's correct, how's it do for mold and bacteria/how does it affect cleaning?

Second question - the divider? Has anyone done this before? I'm wondering what size to make the perforations - see breeding. I still don't even have one scorp, but some small scale breeding sounds enjoyable. Would the partition be suitable to contain a female and her (brood?)

Thanks
Looking forward to a scorp!

Last edited:

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi, I'm new to the boards and never owned a scorp, spider or even a goldfish. Although I did keep a snake I caught for a summer :D I've been "lurking" on the boards and this seems like a good place to find info, ideas etc. so here goes:

I want to get a scorpion and after looking around, I think I'll go with the standard starter scorp, an Emperor. I want to eventually keep them communally so I'm thinking I can buy a bigger tank now, and put a partition in it. Something like a 20 gallon split in half with perforated plexi-glass, and a locking gate in the middle.

My first question is "What's a false bottom?" I keep seeing it recommended, but I'm not sure exactly what it is. Is it essentially a grate on the bottom of the tank to allow water to drain from the substrate? If that's correct, how's it do for mold and bacteria/how does it affect cleaning?

Second question - the divider? Has anyone done this before? I'm wondering what size to make the perforations - see breeding. I still don't even have one scorp, but some small scale breeding sounds enjoyable. Would the partition be suitable to contain a female and her (brood?)

Thanks
Looking forward to a scorp!
Welcome !

False bottom is a rocks or pebbles at the bottom of the tank with substrate on top with a hose or tube leading down to raise the humidity.

If getting emps and you want a communal enclosure,why add a divider ?? :)

If I were to use one I would make it touch the bottom of the tank for sure then add separate false bottom for each side, seeing as how emps might dig under it, it make it pretty tall too, they can do amazing things with the tail

dairy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The false bottom makes perfect sense now, thanks.

The divider is so I can isolate one scorp. I read that too much space is not really a good thing, and while I'm sure I want to, it may be awhile before I pick up a 2nd or 3rd critter. Also for keeping gravid females and scorplings. Possibly for 2 different species with the same environmental requirements.

I'll have the divider to the bottom of the tank for sure and secured to the tank walls...somehow...:?

Basically I'm buying shoes that are too big so I can grow into them. I'm asking questions 'cause when I'm done growing, I want them to fit :)

TNeal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's so nice to hear someone asking questions "before" getting their animals. Way to go!!!!

Jaffster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The false bottom makes perfect sense now, thanks.

The divider is so I can isolate one scorp. I read that too much space is not really a good thing, and while I'm sure I want to, it may be awhile before I pick up a 2nd or 3rd critter. Also for keeping gravid females and scorplings. Possibly for 2 different species with the same environmental requirements.

I'll have the divider to the bottom of the tank for sure and secured to the tank walls...somehow...:?

Basically I'm buying shoes that are too big so I can grow into them. I'm asking questions 'cause when I'm done growing, I want them to fit :)
Welcome to our fascination with these wonderful little inverts.

I just thought I'd add, there's an excellent guide to creating a false bottom on youtube created by a member on here (thaedon):

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=Thaedion&p=r

Excellent tutorial!

Rosenkreuz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Silicon. Just grab a tube of the kitchen/bath silicon from your local hardware store, and run a bead of it down both sides of the divider. Which, by the way, works great when made out of a piece of clear plexiglass. :)

dairy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the replies guys. Gonna go get the supplies this weekend, and hopefully I'll have a Pandinus Imerator stomping around, happily digging holes and munching crickets by the following weekend.

Australis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Good choice... ;)
But why don't u get a few more at the same time...?
Its more interesting to watch a whole bunch rather than just 1 emp...;P

I still remember my first scorp...ahhh...Heterometrus longimanus...brought it home and all chaos broke loose...lol
The memories, :)