Introducing water dish to slings?

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've heard varying arguments for when it's best to place a small water dish in a sling enclosure. Is it really for when the sling gets larger than 1"? (I currently mist half the enclosure for each of my 1/2"ers)

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Most people put one in there when they can, Me personally I put one in at around 1.5-2" once they graduate from their old small inclosure. And they start with a bottle cap and go from there. The bigger the T the bigger the water dish I try to offer. Plus the bigger the dish the less filling :D . Its a pain to keep those caps filled especially when the T insists on filling it with substrate {D

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if you want to use a water dish a water bottle cap with like a pebble in it works well

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I try to wait until they are close to 3" before i offer a water dish.:D

-Matty

funnylori

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I gave my 1/2 inch B. smithi a water bottle cap filled to the inner ring for it's first water dish. She promptly filled it with dirt. :D She knew exactly what to do with it! I've seen her (~1 inch now) drinking from it regularly. She's kept moist, so who knows. *shrug* I put it in one of the corners of the container and put peat around it so that there is a good ramp up and it wont tip or roll.

I keep my slings in ferro rocher candy containers with a few holes drilled in the top. They make excellent display cases for the little terrestrials.

NBond1986

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
for me it totally depends on the T species (and sometimes the individual)

For instance, I have water dishes for my N. chromatus, and my N coloratovillosus (both from 2-3"). This is not for humidity....I already moisten the substrate for that.

I don't fill the waterdish up for my C. cyaneopubescens (greenbottle blue).....I gave up after it kept webbing over it. I just occasionally mist the webbing, and it drinks from there, and it's already at 3".

My Avic (mature female) always has her waterdish full.

For any tropical species, I keep the substrate moist.....but if it's drinking you're talking about, I don't usually provide a water dish till theyre at about 1.5"

Until then, the water droplets from misting suffice.

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Most people put one in there when they can, Me personally I put one in at around 1.5-2" once they graduate from their old small inclosure. And they start with a bottle cap and go from there. The bigger the T the bigger the water dish I try to offer. Plus the bigger the dish the less filling :D . Its a pain to keep those caps filled especially when the T insists on filling it with substrate {D
I do the same, only when my slings are 1.5-2" use a water dish, before I only moisten the ground

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
for under 1.5" slings i use chapstick caps or tattoo ink caps as water dishes.