Introducing Big Momma

spydrhunter1

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Here's Big Mama a new AGB milli female I picked up at the Kentucky Reptile Show and Sell. She measures out at aroung ten inches, I think my male likes big girls because they've already started mating.

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That certainly is a monster! I had one that was around 10 inches but unfortunately it died, so now my largest is around 8 inches.

Very kewl creatures.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
The certified world record is 15.3 inches, I posted a link a long time ago but I can't seem to find the thread.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Congrates on the milli. I've thought about getting one of those for years but I just haven't done it.

15+ inches?! That would look pretty amazing.

spydrhunter1

Arachnolord
Old Timer
They're neat animals to keep and seem to thrive in captivity. Mine have been mating like crazy, can't wait to get babbies.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Wow!!

I'd want one but from what I know they need way too regular feeding... (do they? :? )

How old do they get anyway?

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mine eat all the time, but its not a big hassle. I place a dish in there with a dried pelletized form of food, which they just eat up, and then once a week or so put in some fresh food: apple, melon, cucumber etc.

I think the life span is 7-10 years or so.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Congrates on the milli. I've thought about getting one of those for years but I just haven't done it.

15+ inches?! That would look pretty amazing.
That one was a freak, usually it's hard to find one over 9". If you can find the previous thread it links to a photograph of the record millipede.

ftorres

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Big Millis

Hello,
Wow 15 inches that is a huge milli for sure.
Here are some of mine 10 + inches
regards
FT

syiware

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here's Big Mama a new AGB milli female I picked up at the Kentucky Reptile Show and Sell. She measures out at aroung ten inches, I think my male likes big girls because they've already started mating.

AGB=african giant black millipede, right? cool.. :clap:
-locke

Vanilla

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thats a beautiful millipede!

My girl is about 10-11 inches.I always read they can get to about 12 inches.I swore mine was for awhile,I haven't measured her in awhile tho.

spydrhunter1

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I can't get enough of these great animals, I don't think they get the respect they should in the hobby. I am getting a little worried about millipede #3, who has been in a burrow for a couple of weeks.
Here's Big Mama and her consort Little John.

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wouldnt worry too much yet. I had the same fear because one of my D. macracanthus pedes is gone for around 2 months now I think, and I posted the same concern. I was informed that (by some pretty smart folk) they could be gone for several months and then return freshly molted (AND huger than ever :D )

And i agree on the "no respect". I love em myself, although I'm kind of a milli addict in addition to my other problems.