Introduce Yourself

MatthewH

Arachnopeon
Good morning from the U.K.

I’m Matthew and my wife and I are returning to the hobby after ten years now that our nine year old son has taken an interest, and got his first T over the weekend. Ten year hiatus/ nine year old child... there’s a connection there lol.

Historically held a DWAL and owned hot scorpions but we decided keeping them just wasn’t worth the risk once we knew my wife was expecting, so the collection was sold on (scorpions, tarantulas, snakes, and lizards) but we kept the cat.

Our boy decided on spiders when we ruled out the Green Anaconda that he fell in love with at the wildlife park (8.8m & 227kg), however there may be a small snake(s) in the future judging by the gleam in my wife’s eyes when we were at the pet shop...

I have a lot of catching up to do, so much has changed with classifications and names alone! I look forward to learning from you all.

FoundAPurpose

Arachnopeon
Hi! I've always loved spiders and insects. It wasn't until this past year that I started to collect them... and I may have gone a little overboard but I absolutely love it! In addition to my spiders and tarantulas, we have 3 ball pythons, 10 different lizards, 2 cats, 3 dogs, breeding dubia roaches, 6 frogs, millipedes, isopods, 3 human children, and a pretty little white betta named Zero. Most of my family (outside of my immediate family, that is) doesn't understand my love for these critters but after losing a baby boy at 16 weeks last April and then losing my job of 13 years due to Covid, I've finally found something that gives me a purpose and actually makes me happy. Anyway, that's enough therapy for today, it's great to be here with yall!

Pmaranda

Arachnopeon
Guess I'll make a brief post, I've always loved spiders. I was literally that 7 year old girl who wanted nothing but books and such about spiders. I've only been keeping a bit over a year, but wanted to much earlier. Unfortunately homelessness kept me from it longer than I would've liked to be candid.
26. Utah grown. Asian Fossorials are my favorites(if I had to choose of course). Pescatarian. Never been scared of spiders (outside of a healthy respect)
That's all for now folks!

Mexolias

Arachnopeon
Hi my name is Hector and I am looking for friends in Utah who are into tarantulas. If you are looking for friends who are into Tarantulas like me hit me up.

Wenzer

Arachnosquire
Hi everyone. I'm an autistic 24 year old and glad to be part of your community here. I've looked into keeping arachnids (mainly jumping spiders at one point) in the past, but I've not really followed up on my interest. My interest recently re-sparked after an interesting encounter with a bold jumping spider crawling across my bedroom ceiling one day :lol: not to mention, I had only just awoken from a nap and I have horrible vision, and wasn't wearing my glasses yet. Seeing this strange black-ish blob moving across my ceiling was a bit worrisome until I got my glasses back on, but I was more than happy to assist the little man in returning outside. He even waved goodbye to me, I got a horrible picture of it, but a picture nonetheless :happy:

Anyways, I've been doing my research again, mostly for curiosity sake. Don't know if I'll actually attempt to keep any in the near future, but I'm thoroughly enjoying the information provided, especially regarding tarantula behavior. I think I could watch/read about their funny behaviors and habits all day long.

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
Hi All,

I’ve just got back into keeping T’s.

I once had a room filled wall to wall with vivariums, and kept 40 (ish) snakes, 6 lizards, 3 frogs, 3 tarantulas (an Asian fossorial, an African terrestrial, and a South American arboreal), and an African dwarf crocodile on a DWAL.

Sadly, I had a to give up my collection due to some challenging times in the great recession of 2008.

After so many years out of animal keeping, I decided recently to get back into it. But I’ve chosen to focus purely on T’s.

For me, they are the perfect small animal to keep. I love their personalities and behaviours, and the fact that they are easy on space. I also like the fact that you can build them awesome little natuarlistic set-ups. They are ‘tiny-heroes’ for sure, to quote the ‘Tiny World’ series on Apple TV. The fact that so many tarantulas are so stunning is certainly a bonus factor.

In the last few weeks, I have acquired 3 juveniles and 5 spiderlings. 4 more spiderlings are on order. I like my charges to keep me on my toes (or at least have the potential to), so only a couple of these are considered ‘docile’.

You can see where this is going…:eek::rofl:;)

Attachments

Last edited:

Dawid212

Arachnopeon
Hi, I'm Dawid, I live in the UK and I'm 20.
I've been fascinated by arthropods ever since I was a kid, but keeping non-native species started when my school teacher introduced me to the pet stick insects she kept as a class pet that I absolutely loved and decided to buy some myself.
I like to keep a bit of everything so I have many types of arachnid and myriapods and have had some insects, though I don't really have many of one type of animal.
I am studying Zoology at University so that I can actually become an entomologist one day rather than remain a 'bug wrangler' Lol.
I joined this group to learn a bit more about arthropods and share some observations I've made about my pets.

Livefrom215

Arachnopeon
Hello! im new to the boards but im not new to spiders. I live in Pennsylvania. born and raised in Philadelphia but now i live in rural PA among many many spiders specifically Wolf Spiders which are one of my favorite species of all. I have an extreme passion for all things arachnid. I've wanted to keep a spider for a long time now and after many years of research i feel that im finally ready and now its time to get serious. look forward to being friendly and learning from all of you. thanks!

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Hello everyone, I'm Wes from Mississippi. I've been out of the tarantula hobby for a while now, but recently have gotten back into it. I'm a snake and fish lover at heart, but arachnids and insects are also a passion. I'm sure I'll be asking plenty of questions as I acquire more t's. Glad to be here and have access to others with plenty of experience!

MrFuzzBugz

Arachnopeon
Arachnosupporter
Hello everyone!

I have been in the hobby for almost a year now, starting off with a 1” G. pulchra/quirogai named Spade. Sadly he’s a “he” and he is currently 3”. As disappointed as I am about it, I have 8 other T’s in my collection, 3 of which are confirmed females. As much as I adore all my other spoods, Spade is and always will my favorite black beauty. I am joining Arachnoboards to eventually be able to find a mate for Spade in the next few years while he matures; he is the only T that I wish to pair. In the meantime, I plan on educating myself on care and husbandry while helping others along the way through my own testimony.

Now that my mission statement is out of the way, I am glad I found this site and I figured this is the best place to look for advice, share my experiences, and discuss tarantulas with others. Unfortunately, I don’t know anyone in my personal life who shares the same love and passion for these critters as much as I do, so this is where I plan to let it all out!

- Fuzz

Sambro

Arachnosquire
Hello!

I've already had the pleasure of speaking to the active members already! So some will already aware that I'm still a new keeper to the hobby.
I thought it is best if I formally introduce myself to everyone! :happy:

I started keeping T's as of January this year, after always being interested in Tarantulas for a number of years, after tons of crucial research.
I went ahead and purchased my first T which was a G.Pulchra Juvi (Around 3"). After further realising the length of growth rate. I started researching other species...

This is where my addiction to T's started like many others...
I now have a total of 30 T's (4 Recently Rescued from a keeper that wasn't happy to deal with venomous OW Aboeral T's that he had been keeping communally and wasn't confident to rehouse them separately.)

I look forward to collaborating with other experienced keepers and learning from others!

Peace
Sam

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Hi! I've always loved spiders and insects. It wasn't until this past year that I started to collect them... and I may have gone a little overboard but I absolutely love it! In addition to my spiders and tarantulas, we have 3 ball pythons, 10 different lizards, 2 cats, 3 dogs, breeding dubia roaches, 6 frogs, millipedes, isopods, 3 human children, and a pretty little white betta named Zero. Most of my family (outside of my immediate family, that is) doesn't understand my love for these critters but after losing a baby boy at 16 weeks last April and then losing my job of 13 years due to Covid, I've finally found something that gives me a purpose and actually makes me happy. Anyway, that's enough therapy for today, it's great to be here with yall!
Glad to see another reptile lover on here!

Dakess

Arachnopeon
Hi, I'm Dakess..... I have Arachnophobia. To overcome this fear I have adopted a goliath pink foot.

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
Hi, I'm Dakess..... I have Arachnophobia. To overcome this fear I have adopted a goliath pink foot.
Hi Dakess!

I used to have a serious fear of insects and spiders. No idea where it came from! I had no such fear of snakes though, and I got into reptile keeping. In the reptile shop were tarantulas and other inverts. I was very nervous of them and would walk around them and avoid them. But, gradually, I couldn’t help but notice that they were just chilling and doing there thing - like any other animal - and not scary alien monsters!

Then I became curious and researched them and soon I had to keep one, then two, then three. Now, as a second time animal keeper, I have chosen tarantulas alone. The fear has become fascination and love! So I’m a big fan of desensitisation by (careful and gradual) exposure!
:spider::spiderweb:

Last edited:

soulnexus

Arachnopeon
Hi, my name is Steve. I recently joined this forum because of all the useful information here. I'm somewhat new to the hobby although I used to own a rose hair for many years. I recently got a baby Mexican Red Leg and an asian Forrest scorpion who had babies. It's been fun taking care of them. I'm really passionate about the hobby. So thanks for letting me be a part of such a wonderful place.

Whaaam

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone!. Been visiting this board forever and finally decided to signup. I have around 20 Ts (trying to keep the numbers low due to space issue and wife) and I look forward to learning more stuff about care and husbandry from you guys.

Cheers!
Gene

SmallAxe525

Arachnopeon
Hello - new user, new-ish spider keeper. I have always had a reptile or two around but I'm branching back out into the spider world (when I was younger I had a few tarantulas to keep my arachnophobe mom out of my room, childish but effective.) Other pets currently are a leopard tortoise, a gargoyle gecko, 10,000 fish and a cat named Garbage.

SmallAxe525

Arachnopeon
That might have been a slight exaggeration. We have 4 tanks, one 20 gal, two 24 gal and 58 gal with lots of little scaly friends. :)

Ovruinn

Arachnopeon
I'm a lurker, so thought I should introduce myself too 😅 My name's Natalie and I had a T. briefly before college roommates made me give him away and I had always pined for another spider. I'm about six months back into the hobby and already properly obsessed. I'm in coastal NC, but out in the country, and currently share my home with 3 tarantulas (soon to be 6!) 3 aquatic snails, 3 finches, and a very weird neurotic little dog 😆 It's nice to meet all of you and I'm so glad this board exists!