Introduce Yourself

The Appropriator

Arachnopeon
Hello others. I'm a maniac who enjoys bugs and has been doing this kind of thing since I was 4. I've taken care of various insects and managed to catch every species of praying mantis in Ontario (there's only 2 of them, so it's a pretty low bar) and I enjoy giving my animals long and ridiculous names. I currently have 4 animals. My ball python, Lord Archibald Arcturus, first of his name. The true King of Britain. An emperor scorpion, Nero Claudius. The 19th Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire. A Cyriocosmus Leetzi sling that I've yet to name and a Catumiri Argentinensis sling that I've also yet to name.

I grow hot peppers and am a maker of fine sauces and spice blends.

Papierowa

Arachnopeon
Hello, new enthusiast from Poland. I've been browisng forums since january and today I got my first B. smithi sling. Excited and a bit worried, since it looks so small and fragile. Can't wait for it to get some colours and watch it grow.

RickTheBugKeeper

Arachnopeon
Hello,

My name is Rick, and although I've only recently began keeping invertebrates, I've always had a love and appreciation for them. I'm really a gecko keeper, but a few years ago I purchased my first vigaroon at our local annual Reptile Expo, and it died within a short period. I totally blame myself for being very impulsive and not doing any research first. I thought I had learned my lesson and purchased a very informative book as well as googled many sights like BugsInCyberSpace. A year ago, I purchased my first rose haired tarantula, and that's worked out very well. However, last August, when the show was back in town, I again, impulsively, purchased a Malasian Whip Spider, and again, it died within only two weeks of purchase. In all fairness, I realized that the one I purchased was very lethargic in the deli cup, and didn't seem to move at all from the time of purchase to the time I placed it in an enclosure. Now, I've recently acquired a Florida species that's doing much better and I've also acquired a vigaroon that is the same. My next adventure is going to be in purchasing a centipede and a true scorpion. Again, once I do more research. TTFN
RTBK

Patricia Grindley

Arachnopeon
Hi All,
My name is Patty, I'm 63 years old and I am fairly new to the hobby. I live in SE Wisconsin. I binge-watched YouTube videos for a year before I got my first spiders.
My friends think I lost my mind. I think I found it.

I obtained my first five Tarantulas on 12/1/19:
1.) A. chalcodes, adult female, named her Alice, after my idol, Alice Cooper. So sweet. My favorite.
2.) G. pulchra, juvenile, suspect male, little bulldozer-named him Tucker after the Breaking Bad character, the meth addict digging a hole in the front yard.
3.) B. smithi, or at least it was sold to me as B. smithi...I am trying to figure out if maybe it is B. hamorii instead.
4.) C. cyaneopubescens, molted out as a male, named him Merlin, because he is magical.
5. P. murinus. Suspect female, but have not been able to retrieve a molt to confirm; tentatively named Julia, after Julia Roberts-auburn hair, long legs, bad reputation.
I have since added:
6.) A. seemanni, which so far has been a pet hole, found in horrid conditions in a pet shop under a heat lamp. I couldn't leave it there. It's doing well here, as far as I can tell.
and a recent purchase of the following slings:
7.) A. chalcodes, I love my adult female so much I wanted another one to raise from a teeny sling!
8.) B. albopilosum "Nicaragua", cute, cute, cute!
9.) B. vagans, a little beast.
10.) G. pulchripes, super tiny.
11.) L. parahybana. The problem child. Bolty as heck.

HappyKeeper

Arachnopeon
Hi Everyone,

I just joined, but have been googling answers from this community for some time now.

As a kid, I got an adult female B. Hamorii when I was 12 and kept her til she passed when I was 22.

I've recently started keeping T's again ... such great, relaxing animals, and fun and easy to care for. I do my research to make sure I'm providing them with the right habitat requirements, feeding, etc., and I respect each individual for their temperment or mood.

Right now I have 4 T's:

1.) T. albopilosum, adult, hasn't molted, so I haven't determined the sex yet, docile, burrowed in currently, probably going to molt
2.) A. geniculata, sling, unsexed, really healthy looking, great eater, made a nice burrow
3.) C. cyaneopubescens, sling, still small, but very pretty, especially the carapace on this one, good webber, eater
4.) A. seemanni, big 6" adult, probably female, docile, great eater, beautiful striping

I'm probably going to want to get a G. pulchra and a C. versicolor soon, so if anyone's got some female juveniles or adults of these species, please let me know.

Wishing you all a happy, healthy week with lots of T-fun!

Hey All,

Welcome to Arachnoboards. Please take a moment to introduce yourself. Let us know who you are and what brings you here.

Feel free to post a picture of yourself here.

This thread is for personal introductions only, please let us know what inverts you have here.

Hope you enjoy your stay :D

The Arachnoboards Team

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I guess I'm now considered an old member. Hard to believe I joined 15 years ago. I haven't been active in a few years due to school. Figured I would re-introduce myself to get back into the flow of forums. I'm glad AB has survived the scourge of Facebook groups, and it's great to see so many new enthusiasts still joining.

I kept too many species to list in the past before giving them away, but I now only have a Scolopendra dehaani "Cherry Red," two lesser ball pythons, and a gnaphosid that lives on my ceiling. The stay-at-home order made me start looking at pricelists again, so I now have a T. stirmi, T. albopilosum, and C. vonwirthi on order. It's wild to see all the taxonomic revisions and new species in the hobby now. RIP my bank account, but glad to be back.

SkyderMan

Arachnopeon
Hello , just joined Arachnoboards today!

I started this hobby back in January of this year. Someone in my family introduced me to Tarantulas and I've been fascinated ever since. Prior to purchasing my T's, I did extensive research to ensure I had the proper knowledge to take care of these amazing creatures.
I currently have 3 Tarantula's in which I have bought in the span of 3 months. Needless to say my girlfriend wasn't exactly thrilled lol; but she is growing to like them. My Tarantula's include: 3/4" Brachypelma Emilia sling(My first T), 1.5" GBB(unsexed) and a 1.5" Aphonopelma Chalcodes(unsexed).
I look forward to growing within the Arachnoboards community, and gaining valuable knowledge as I expand my Tarantula collection. Many progress pictures to come as these babies grow!

Take care Everyone!

KacyM

Arachnopeon
Hi Kacy from Kansas!
Commercial Photographer and new to the trade.
I came to Arachnoboards after my Saharan Sand Boa Nagini died, and I got a T instead!

Mikesparks

Arachnopeon
Hi, my names is mike im a musician and I love tarantulas I currently only have 2 a 15 year old g porteri and a 2 1/2 inch c cyaneopubescens in premolt hopefully female I have had about 10 in total but unfortunately they all turned out to be males and I no longer have them but will be getting more soon hopefully :)

Stephen H

Arachnopeon
Hi, my name is Stephen and I am from New Orleans. I started collecting T's about 25 years ago, but stopped. I recently found the passion for it again, and discovered a lot has changed in the industry since then. I was a member of the ATS back when they were active and sent out physical booklets periodically. I'm glad I found this place which seems to be thriving and full of useful information.

xyxyxy

Arachnopeon
GREETINGS EVERYONE, Im xyxyxy, a recent convert to what i only imagine is a rather small group of somewhat less then normal folks who for some reason or other have decided it would be a good idea to keep poisonous scorpions (Deathstalkers in my case) in their home for fun and perhaps even a little profit . I'm not sure what possessed me to just get up and order one of these bad boyz/girlz out of the clear blue, especially as I've never been interested in keeping anything as a pet before but this thing has captured my fascination like nothing I can recall in modern memory. I stay up way past my bedtime to watch him/her (how do you tell btw?) come out of their hiding spot and feed and explore the 10 gal habitat I keep remaking/upgrading for him/her to check out. Not sure if this new found obsession will lead to a glorious exciting fun filled future or just a steep spiral downward that ends in stacks of legal bills and group therapy sessions but I figure what the hell, why not throw caution to the wind and see what, if anything, comes of it. what could go wrong?:scorpion:

louaroque

Arachnopeon
I have been keeping invertebrates (mostly tarantulas) for a number of years now. Professionally, I have spent the last twenty years in healthcare; the vast majority of these years have been spent in clinical research. In terms of my activity in the hobby, I ran a group for a while (Praeclarum Theraphosidae™) both on FB as well as a blog dedicated to taxonomic information and scientific journals, but I decided to cease both of those for a myriad of reasons. I also ran a podcast for a short while and pulled the plug on that for the same reasons. I have been lucky enough to have met many great people (collectors, scientists, and breeders) over the years, and although I have not been very active in the threads here, I do "lurk" from time to time. Please feel free to reach out directly if the need ever arises, or simply to say hello.

Koii

Arachnopeon
I'm Koi. Started out with hissers 10 years ago, and just recently started branching out with centipedes and beetles. I kept ending up here while trying to find answers, so I figured I might as well create an account.

Axelisis

Arachnopeon
Hi, my name is Axelisis. I'm from the UK and work as an administrator in a hospital. I've been watching tarantula care videos for about 6 months and got my first 1 month ago. I currently have 3 slings, a G. Pulchra, a T. Vagans, and an A. Seemanni.

IdleGloomy

Deactivated account
Hello! I’m Jordan aka IdleGloomy. I am new to the hobby, but I have been studying tarantulas for many years. I have recently moved out on my own and am finally able to keep arachnids! 😄 I am here to be a part of a community that I can relate with, as well as ask any questions that I may have and even possibly give some helpful advice! Glad to be here! 🕷✨

ScottB

Arachnopeon
Hi I'm new to the hobby as of January. I'm 46 and from Ohio. I joined so I can learn more and keeper my Ts happy and healthy. I presently have 20 ts and 1 scorpion.

laurielu

Arachnopeon
Hello there! I'm Laurie & I reside in the Bay Area (Oakland to be exact) in CA. I'm a noob to tarantulas. I'm still doing my research to find the right T for me. I joined this Board to gather more info as I get closer to obtaining my first T. I'm thinking about a Tliltocatl albopilosus or an Aphonopelma chalcodes. There is a third one, but I need to re-find the name. :happy:

Volcarona

Arachnopeon
Hi, I'm Volcarona (but if you want to call me by an actual name, y'all can use Joey). I got into inverts around September 2018 when I found a large millipede in my garage (I think he was a lovely Narceus americanus). In January 2019, I got my first scorpion, a female Heterometrus sp. something that I named Pepper. My family and I have recently moved to Texas, so there are plenty of creepy crawlies to collect outside (and occasionally inside) the home. I'm still learning the best ways to care for all my little critters, so any advice from more experienced keepers is much appreciated. Aside from this new bug-keeping hobby, I enjoy reading, writing, baking, fishing, playing videogames (as you could probably guess, my favorite series is Pokemon), and listening to music (mainly types of rock, but I'm open to other genres as well). It's nice to meet everyone!

BrothaJordan

Arachnopeon
Hello Everyone! I am a total beginner when it comes to keeping tarantulas. I was given a "Nhandu Chromatus" this year in January at the Anaheim Reptile Show. I feel like I have been doing the best I can for this little one, but I am always open to suggestions on ways to improve. I am looking foward to learning from everyone here!
Jordan

Attachments

theredsonja83

Arachnopeon
My name is Sonja, and I am a new mom to an Avic. Pink Toe. Just got her/him ( i think her)4/20/20. With all the quarantine stuff we thought after almost a 6months of research and watch the arachnoboards we decided why not go for it! So we adopted one from a local exotic pet store. I am still a novice so I am here to learn and listen. Here is a pic of my girl or what I think is a girl. no molt yet. We named her Covid, because she came into our lives because of this horrible virus.

Attachments