Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Intersting name for a new species

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by atraxrobustus, Dec 11, 2017.

1. atraxrobustus

atraxrobustus Arachnoknight Active Member

USA
  2. pyro fiend

pyro fiend Arachnoprince

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. atraxrobustus

USA
    Haha, but gee, last time I checked, the nomenclature was supposed to be in the Latin tradition. lol. Its the only place we use Latin at all -- besides in the practice of medicine and the practice of law anymore. They probably wouldn't have said ' Aphonopelma ' if they hand't been stuck with it. They could have at LEAST said cashi as opposed to johnnycashi - it would have been a bit more dignified, dont you think?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Patherophis

Patherophis Arachnobaron

At least they used genitive. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. atraxrobustus

USA
    Gee, and to think that I get to do a redirect page on wikipedia for this, and then some individual whom knows nothing about spiders is going to get into an edit war over it. Priceless. :happy:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. pyro fiend

pyro fiend Arachnoprince

i mean its kinda a dead language so we cant really do much with the little we have imo... but some of them are interesting...in the aspect of somone thought "wouldnt it be bada** to name the Aptostichus we found Bonoi because we love bono?"

7. Patherophis

Patherophis Arachnobaron

On the other hand, nomenclature isn't Latin, it's just latinized and full of words of all possible origins. English surnames are common part of it since 19th century. But I agree that this way of using both firstname and surname is a bit unfortunate.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Scarabyte

Scarabyte Arachnosquire

USA
    Well I mean, it's not a T but Heteropoda Davidbowie is a thing. Not the first time it has happened :p
    Also that new species is gorgeous, such a wonderful Tarantula

9. This species if kept in captivity and escape will be easily found in your bath room popping meds or in your liquor cabinet.:hungover:

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoking

Because whoever discovered the species named it as such. That's why you see unusual names like Megaphobema peterklaasi, Heteropoda davidbowie, etc...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Clarification Please Clarification Please x 1
  11. EulersK

EulersK Arachnonomicon Staff Member

I forgot the genus, but there's also a rickwesti out there.

12. I believe it's Avicularia rickwesti, I am not 100% on that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Walker253

Walker253 Arachnobaron

It's a black tarantula found in the area of the Folsom prison in California. This one actually makes sense.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. miss moxie

miss moxie Arachnoprince

I think B. klaasi is also named after Peter Klaas.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Patherophis

Patherophis Arachnobaron

Yes it is. Brachypelma klaasi (Schmidt & Krause, 1994) is nice example how it should look.
    - named after collector of holotype female and not some random celebrity
    - only surname used
    - genitive form
    Perfect :)

16. 14pokies

14pokies Arachnoprince

I won't rest untill we a Pamphobeteus danzigi.. I mean it just rolls of the tongue so well.. Just go ahead and say it you'll see..And Danzig I mean come on...It's Danzig :angelic:...

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jmanbeing93

Jmanbeing93 Arachnosquire

And sings about how you're going to "cry,cry,cry" when you stick your hand in his tank.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  18. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

It has changed to Antillena rickwesti IIRC.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX ArachnoGod Active Member

Lyrognathus giannisposatoi, named in honour of Gianni Sposato, a genus Selenocosmia expert, and clearly of Italian heritage :mooning:

20. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX ArachnoGod Active Member

I think Danzig is happy, for that 0.1 Ephebopus murinus honoured well his 'Skeleton' Misfits days costume.

• Funny Funny x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.