International Exporting/Importing

themowingmonk

Arachnopeon
I'm wondering, I'm going to Costa Rica the end of the week. And i wanted to collect some specimens while I'm around there, mainly any spiders or other bugs that i might encounter. But I'm wondering what need to be done to get them to ship from Costa Rica and pass through American customs to get back here. IF any of you know that would help me out, thanks!

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't think they would allow Ts on planes, so you would either have to ship it, or sneak them on, which is very risky.

I believe you'd need to get permits to ship which would take longer to get then a week. Unless you ship them to someone with permits that resides in the US and then they can ship them too you.

themowingmonk

Arachnopeon
well im planing on shipping them, and ill be in Costa Rica for about a month with a research group. I can hope then that one of them as the permit for the samples they send back for studies. do you think they would check the boxes if i just shipped them?

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Airlines require specific shipping packaging and guarantees on health of each individual insect. They will NOT accept them on the plane as carry on. You can get a one-time import license through your local fish and game, and I think there's also paperwork to fill out at your nearest port of authority, not to mention the paperwork with Costa Rica to export. You may even need permits just to collect them. I'm not familiar with their laws, but it's not worth going to jail or the fines if you don't do your legwork.

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
... do you think they would check the boxes if i just shipped them?
Does it matter? What you are beginning to discuss is an illegal activity and AB can not and will not condone (or allow discussion of) the illegal importation/exportation of critters without a permit for their specified use...otherwise known as smuggling.

Please keep the discuss on the topic of creating a legal way to bring back legitimate souvenirs from your trip (like bringing a good camera and a notebook).

Thank you for your cooperation,

Jeff

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Costa Rica is closed to *any* animal exportation for the pet trade and for personal use.

As such, you will not be able to remove any wildlife from the country at all.

I'd suggest just enjoying the photographs later. ;)

themowingmonk

Arachnopeon
yeah i was trying to figure out if there were legal ways of doing it. kind of a bummer, But for sure ill have my camera with me and my sketch book (part of this program is an art class on drawing native wildlife) thanks for the feed back,

and for the earlier comment don't worry i wouldn't try anything illegal. its not worth getting in trouble with any government just for a couple spiders. but thank you for the replies! :D

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You have to have a special license and special permissions from authorities to bring anything alive through customs