Intermediate tarantula species to increase your experience level

Nods0103

Arachnopeon
I am looking to get a new sling in a couple of days time, I have been in the hobby for about a year now and currently have a G. Pulchripes adult female, an L. Klugi juvie and a fairly spicy T. albopilosus adult female. I want to find something that requires a bit more skill to keep than my current "beginner" species as I want to work my way up to an H. machalata in the future.

From what I've read on other threads I have seen P. irminia being suggested quite a few times and it is currently my main option. I have also seen E. murinus being suggested and it is a species that I really want in the future, however they seem to be a bit more difficult to come by where I'm currently living.

Any suggestions or opinions will be helpful :)

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Some good ones are Psalmos, tappies, and even something like N. incei can be good (really quick terrestrial). You could even go with one of the better starter type baboons, like Ceratogryus.

JMO

I want to work my way up to an H. machalata in the future.
maculata;)

Literally my least favorite t, I dont even take free ones any more.

JMO

Nods0103

Arachnopeon
Some good ones are Psalmos, tappies, and even something like N. incei can be good (really quick terrestrial). You could even go with one of the better starter type baboons, like Ceratogryus.

JMO
Honestly, ceratogryus or harpictera spp. Would be my first pick but unfortunately they are illegal where I live, which is pretty sad since they are all beautiful Ts

Last edited:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Thanks for the input, do you have any tips on keeping these genuses?
They all have pretty much the same housing/care requirements that can be found on this site when searching their husbandry, giving them a lot of low-mid level plant cover makes them feel a bit more secure IME (most people house them in barren enclosures with just a cork tube sticking out of the sub and wonder why they have a cranky/bolty spider that they never see), Psalmopoeus ecclesiasticus are a bit less drought-tolerant than the rest of the genus so you don't really want to let the sub fully dry out for long if you can avoid it.

Tapinauchenius are a little more prone to bolting and will sometimes do several laps of the enclosure before stopping/retreating to their hides so it's often best to pick up and unlock the enclosure, wait for them to calm down and stop running/retreat to their hides, then crack open the enclosure and chuck a feeder in or do maintenance.

The plural of genus is genera by the way ;)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Honestly, ceratogryus or harpictera spp. Would be my first pick but unfortunately they are illegal where I live, which is pretty sad since they are all beautiful Ts
I thought you could apply for an ownership permit?

Nods0103

Arachnopeon
I thought you could apply for an ownership permit?
As far as I'm aware I can't since they are indigenous and protected under nature conservation laws. It is like that with virtually all indigenous wildlife here.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
As far as I'm aware I can't since they are indigenous and protected under nature conservation laws. It is like that with virtually all indigenous wildlife here.
Ah that’s true.

Nods0103

Arachnopeon
They all have pretty much the same housing/care requirements that can be found on this site when searching their husbandry, giving them a lot of low-mid level plant cover makes them feel a bit more secure IME (most people house them in barren enclosures with just a cork tube sticking out of the sub and wonder why they have a cranky/bolty spider that they never see), Psalmopoeus ecclesiasticus are a bit less drought-tolerant than the rest of the genus so you don't really want to let the sub fully dry out for long if you can avoid it.

Tapinauchenius are a little more prone to bolting and will sometimes do several laps of the enclosure before stopping/retreating to their hides so it's often best to pick up and unlock the enclosure, wait for them to calm down and stop running/retreat to their hides, then crack open the enclosure and chuck a feeder in or do maintenance.

The plural of genus is genera by the way ;)
Thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind and obviously do more research before I actually buy the T.

My L. Klugi also has the habit of bolting around when I try to open his enclosure so I'm no stranger to opening enclosures and waiting for the spider to calm down a bit 😂

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As others have mentioned, Psalmopoeus and Tapinauchenius/Pseudoclamoris for speedy NW Arboreal, Poecilotheria would be the next step as they behave in a similar way and apparently their venom is not quite as severe as H. maculata's. NWs terrestrials with more attitude would include Nhandu, Phormictopus, Pamphobeteus, Xenesthis and last, but certainly not least, Theraphosa. Good luck in your quest to gain the necessary experience for H. macs. Beautiful Ts with bad venom.

AlbaArachnids92

Arachnoknight
Pterinopelma sazimai have a reputation for being a bit more, how should I put this, ?!touchy!? as far as NW terrestrials go. My juvi has no issues telling me I'm not welcome to walk passed their enclosure and rehousing involved lots of slaps :rofl::rofl:
As far as arboreal wise, everyone else has suggested with more experience than I have!

Nods0103

Arachnopeon
Pterinopelma sazimai have a reputation for being a bit more, how should I put this, ?!touchy!? as far as NW terrestrials go. My juvi has no issues telling me I'm not welcome to walk passed their enclosure and rehousing involved lots of slaps :rofl::rofl:
As far as arboreal wise, everyone else has suggested with more experience than I have!
Thanks for the input, I have been considering the p. Sazimai but was getting conflicting statements online about their temperament.

I think I have finally made up my mind thanks to the help I recieved here and will either get a P. Sazimai or a P. Irminia😁

AlbaArachnids92

Arachnoknight
Thanks for the input, I have been considering the p. Sazimai but was getting conflicting statements online about their temperament.

I think I have finally made up my mind thanks to the help I recieved here and will either get a P. Sazimai or a P. Irminia😁
Mine is a little psycho! But I've also heard the same, docile specimens don't seem uncommon.

If you're going the arboreal route, P. irminia sounds the better option, imo

studentoo925

Arachnopeon
I'm in similiar spot to @Nods0103, with the small difference of having p. irminia and t. violaceus (damn those freebies!) slings and came here to confirm that Ceratogryus genus is the next thing I want. Thanks!