Interior Design by Chaco

Syngyne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Apparently the plastic plants in my enclosure are not a hit with my G.aureostriata. She tore one out and threw it in her water dish.

Should I remove the rest of them?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have tried plastic plants before...... sounded like a great idea at the time. They just seem to end up being toys for the T. They think they can burrow under it and when they cant they get mad. I dont mess with them anymore.
I guess its personal preference. Shes bound to move them everynow and then no matter what you do.

Ph4nToM

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've had some good success with my P.murinus and fake plants. What I did was I found a log with alot of termite holes in it, sterilized the log and then hot glued fake plants into the termite holes. The log gives the plants a sturdy base that the T can burrow under or web on, it looks pretty good and the T seems to like it.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Apparently the plastic plants in my enclosure are not a hit with my G.aureostriata. She tore one out and threw it in her water dish.
More likely: she was remodelling the tank as all happy little aureostriata do, and that particular plant was in the way of her project. :D I've noticed that "extra debris" in general gets thrown into the water dish; molted exoskeletons, dirt from an excavation, whatever.

Leave the other plants, though they'll get dug up or knocked over eventually. This species just loves to play in the dirt too much.

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
plastic plants or the fake silk plants ? fake silk plants from a craft store go over better with spiders than actual plastic ones ..better tactile feel to them I guess.

Syngyne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They're plastic plants. Do they make silk plants that small? These things are maybe 4" tall.

Ph4nToM, the one plant that isn't too beat out of shape is one that I did stick into a hole in the cork bark. :)

Sharpy808

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I use silk plants in all my enclosures and have not had a problem so far. I generally will put them in one or both of the back corners of the tank, draping over the hide etc. (what ever looks good). I think the possible reason that mine stay in place is because I silicone either a piece of small PVC or hobbyist copper tubing, below the level of the substrate, into the corner and after it is dry you have a simple but effective plant holder bisically.

I hope this is kinda the info you are looking for, idk I just woke up and am still kinda half asleep :cool:

Best of luck

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They're plastic plants. Do they make silk plants that small? These things are maybe 4" tall.
hmm.. you can usually get some flower or ivy garlands that can be cut down to the size you need from a longer piece. That's typically what I use and then cut them down to smaller sections. I also will find the pre-bunched arrangements with those metal inserts in the stalks, that allow you to bend the branches to arrange how you like... they come in different sizes. Sometimes it's hard to find the really small ones though. Some of the silk ivy at the Michael's Craft Store here also comes attached to small plastic flat rings. .. I guess they are meant for sticking around a big fat candle. I had some good results with those rings and the spiders using it as the "top" to their burrows.. they would tunnel under, web it up, move a little dirt over the top open center, etc.