Interesting question on spider

The wolf

Arachnolord
are there any spider families or even genuses outside of salticidae that jump and do so well because I seemed to have found a spider that does this and he/she has very small eyes I'm not asking for an ID as I will do that myself just an answer that will help narrow it down also the spider seems to have made a small web wether that's just caught up trail web I don't know I have the individual in my care and if it comes down to that I can provide photos

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
All non-web based spiders can jump to an extent. Some are really good at it (Sparassidae, Lycosidae, Ctenidae), others ok (Lycosidae, Oxyopidae), some not great (Dysderidae, probably Gnaphosidae, etc.). Any other characters to your mystery spider other than small eyes? Cephalothorax and abdomen color, color of chelicerae, general shape of the body can all help.

The wolf

Arachnolord
Cephalothorax is a pale dull yellow but black around he eye region abdomen mousy grey-brown(similar to s blackwalli)celicerae black along with the tarsus of the palp eight eyes arranged into two rows two slightly larger eyes above and three pairs in a row below all this led me to the clubonia genus i was only pointing out the eyes as evidence against salticide thank you very much for your reply and i will take it to mind with my own wolf spider(trochosa ruricola)

Last edited:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Both Crab and Running Crab spiders, Thompsidae, Philodromidae can jump and sound vaguely like what you describe. Lynx, Oxyopidae can also make some amazing leaps.

The wolf

Arachnolord
IMG_3438.JPG IMG_3433.JPG IMG_3427.JPG IMG_3439.JPG IMG_3438.JPG IMG_3433.JPG
He's pretty small at about 7mm to a cm and I've seen him jump about 6cm but he seems capable of more sorry for the bad pics there from an iPad with a macro clip on

Attachments

The Snark

Old Timer
That is a strange eye pattern. Almost like Sicarius triple with an extra pair above.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
He's pretty small at about 7mm to a cm and I've seen him jump about 6cm but he seems capable of more sorry for the bad pics there from an iPad with a macro clip on
My immediate response was that it looks like a mature male ghost spider (Anyphaenidae). Their eyes kind of look like a smiley face.

In the U.K., you have Anyphaena accentuata, but it doesn't look like that species, so one of your many sac spiders (Clubionidae and Cheiracanthium) might be a more likely option.

Last edited:

The Snark

Old Timer
@Ungoliant I don't think so. Looks like six eyes in a near straight line at the front. oo oo oo. The upper pair are also dead to front. That's a puzzler.

The wolf

Arachnolord
If you go on google images for clubonia the eyes seem pretty similar,I understand that google images is the bane of spider identification.

The wolf

Arachnolord
He seems to have made a small retreat in his enclosure but he is definitely a hunting spider,although I had him in another container where he made what seems to be a full on web.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
@Ungoliant I don't think so. Looks like six eyes in a near straight line at the front. oo oo oo. The upper pair are also dead to front. That's a puzzler.
It looks that way because of the angle in some of the photos. The best image for viewing the eye arrangement is #4, which shows that the row of six eyes is an upturned arc.

I'm certain it's one of the three families I mentioned earlier.