Interesting prey items

LeonExotic

Arachnopeon
So I bought a pink toe sling (the shop was unclear about which and I forgot to ask. Could be avicularia ) a couple of weeks ago. The girl who homed the slings after removal made these cool pillbottle grow outs for them with some cork bark glued to the side. I was having trouble trying to feed him because he wouldn't go down to grab the cricket and I didn't know what to do. So eventually I grabbed a very super tiny horned worm and put It on his web. He was on top of it in minutes!

Of course now I just feed him pre killed crickets, but it made me wonder if anyone here has feed any of their T's something out of the norm?

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Tomato Horn worms are a regular part of all my pokies diets. They more than any species I own seem to love them.. They get them every other week.

I also offer clean house geckos from time to time. I buy them wholesale and keep them for a few weeks to clean out there systems of any possible pesticides from there native prey.

I vary all of my Tarantulas diets regularly but discoid roaches, crickets and super worms make up the bulk of there prey.

cold blood

Staff member
Wax worms are another great one...even the pickiest t likes a waxie. Earthworms can also be good. I've seen others feed goldfish and I have fed slings bits of chicken and fish and all took it readily.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
My Pokie seems to love hornworms too. Same with two of my G. pulchripes slings. They also like waxworms and dubias though, so I'm guessing they just have large appetites. The 3rd G. pulchripes, two Avics, and GBB all seem content with crickets or dubia halves.

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've fed thawed pinkies. I found some in the freezer that I forgot about and had nothing else that would eat them. I've fed lizards, adult mice, roaches, wasps, all manner of moths and other insects. Keep in mind that many of these went to wild caught stuff and not T's. The pinkies and mice went to T's and pedes but most were pre-killed or frozen/thawed. I've seen pictures of people feeding chicks but I can't remember if they were live or pre-killed. I've even heard of people feeding raw hamburger meat although I've never seen it.

LeonExotic

Arachnopeon
That's cool. I didn't realize their diets could vary so much. I usually feed crickets or discoids. They're all still 1"-1.5" slings so no mice lol

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
back in my newb days i fed anything i could find outside. baby birds, frogs, toads, moths, earth worms, locusts, katydids, etc.

i still love to use hornworms, store bought now of course. my large Poecilotheria's diets consist of mainly hornworms.

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
Horned worms should always be store bought.

Their natural diet causes them to be poisonous

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
Horned worms should always be store bought.

Their natural diet causes them to be poisonous

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
I've had a mourning gecko with bad incubation defects become B. emilia food before. It was clearly not going to live so I dropped it next to my T and she ate it it right away.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
back in my newb days i fed anything i could find outside. baby birds, frogs, toads, moths, earth worms, locusts, katydids, etc.

i still love to use hornworms, store bought now of course. my large Poecilotheria's diets consist of mainly hornworms.
That's insane, lol, not good practice but kinda cool in a way, bet clean up was a nasty mess though..

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
That's insane, lol, not good practice but kinda cool in a way, bet clean up was a nasty mess though..
damn right it was cool!
clean was just a large bolus. my old porteri ate it for a little over 48h

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking

That's crazy man, toads and baby birds?
Where did you find the birds, and did any of your Ts show any side effects from eating them? I used to have an adult female B.albopilosum and one day we were cutting down this rotting tree, and inside it I found a huge grub, and I mean massive.

Long story short I fed it to her, she ate it all no problem and then died shortly thereafter, must've been contaminated with something, ever since I haven't ever fed any WC feeders no matter how juicy they look.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
That's crazy man, toads and baby birds?
Where did you find the birds, and did any of your Ts show any side effects from eating them? I used to have an adult female B.albopilosum and one day we were cutting down this rotting tree, and inside it I found a huge grub, and I mean massive.

Long story short I fed it to her, she ate it all no problem and then died shortly thereafter, must've been contaminated with something, ever since I haven't ever fed any WC feeders no matter how juicy they look.
We have a sparrow problem here. Was out shooting some one day and found a nest of ghem, took one of the babies and fed it to my porteri . She's alive and well today. I took toads from the church parking lot before leaving.
That sucks man. :(

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
We have a sparrow problem here. Was out shooting some one day and found a nest of ghem, took one of the babies and fed it to my porteri . She's alive and well today. I took roads from the church parking lot before leaving.
That sucks man. :(
Back before I knew better I fed my porteri a baby bird....it had fallen out of its nest and was going to die..so I thought, what the heck. Another time I was out walking the dog late at night and watched a frog jump into a moving car...it was alive, but split...fed that to the porteri as well...never had any side effects at all other than a full porteri that fasted the rest of the year.

aphono

Arachnobaron
So I bought a large hornworm for the A. chalcodes because of this thread.

Imagine my surprise when I grabbed it... :eek:

Fortunately the chalcodes took it down perfectly and immediately.... but do y'all crush their heads or chill them first or...?

Eacpup

Arachnopeon
Wax worms are another great one...even the pickiest t likes a waxie. Earthworms can also be good. I've seen others feed goldfish and I have fed slings bits of chicken and fish and all took it readily.
My 1.5 inch chromatopelma cyaneopubescens would disagree with you there, its decided to be a super picky eater and so far i've only gotten it to eat crickets and one very unlucky mealworm. I swear its like feeding a moody teenager. My avic however, tried a waxworm for the first time ever yesterday and pounced right on it.

Eacpup

Arachnopeon
I think mine are too small for hornworms right now despite my surplus of them because I feed them to my sugar gliders. I have successfully tried waxworms, crickets, mealworms, and superworms. I also have a surplus of pinkies because I feed them to my snakes but I think I'll pass on that for a while, I wouldn't want to clean up the mess.