Interesting prey items

cold blood

Staff member
My 1.5 inch chromatopelma cyaneopubescens would disagree with you there, its decided to be a super picky eater and so far i've only gotten it to eat crickets and one very unlucky mealworm. I swear its like feeding a moody teenager. My avic however, tried a waxworm for the first time ever yesterday and pounced right on it.
ive literally never seen any t of any size refuse a waxie...your gbb might be broken:rofl:

nburgmei

Arachnopeon
When I was young I would feed them pretty much anything I could get hold of. Horse flies, beetles, worms...whatever I could get. I did that right up until one of my G. rosea, my OBT, and my A. avicularia all died within a day of each other. It turns out my neighbor had just sprayed his entire yard the same day I went out looking for bugs.

Also, just fyi for anyone reading this thread that doesn't know, it is illegal in the U.S. to feed most bird species (not House Sparrows or European Starlings) to your spiders. There is a big list here. https://www.fws.gov/policy/library/2005/05-5127.html

Last edited:

Timc

Arachnosquire
My OBT loves a good cheesesteak. Wiz without, since she's a carnivore you know.

I've never really experimented with different diets, using mostly crickets, occasional worms and dubia when my girlfriend isn't home. However, one time a stink bug squeezed it's way into my B. smithi's enclosure (she was about 2 inches at the time) and, well, it was not a good idea. I was extremely worried afterwards, having never tried wild caught prey.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Ahh yes! Thanks for reminding me. I recently started using earthworms for some of my larger terrestrials.. I have only offered them a few times but they enjoyed them.
I never thought about earthworms. Since my parents do organic gardening and have a compost -- I bet I could score quite a few. Do you have to behead/crush heads or anything to feed them? Thanks.

cold blood

Staff member
I never thought about earthworms. Since my parents do organic gardening and have a compost -- I bet I could score quite a few. Do you have to behead/crush heads or anything to feed them? Thanks.
use parts unless the t is huge...whole ones are a massive meal and much better fighters that you might expect. i occassionally offer my adult pokies a half of an earthworm.