Interesting l. Parahybana behavior

Crispy9168

Arachnopeon
hey everyone. Sorry to keep asking questions. I went to feed my salmon pink today. He's small, so I put in a pre-killed small cricket. But something interesting happened. The "dead" cricket continued to writhe as if it was living. The sling ran until I "killed" the cricket again. I left it right on his leaf so he could get it. I checked on him just a second ago and noticed he has dragged the carcass into his burrow (less than 1/8" deep) and buried it near the bottom. He's now acting very slow and lethargic. What could this mean? Should I remove the cricket?

Rabid538

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Your tarantula is probably getting ready to molt. They stop eating when they are in pre-molt and become sluggish. Nothing to worry about. I would take the cricket out since he is not going to eat for a few days after the molt as well. You don't want it to mold.

Crispy9168

Arachnopeon
That's really interesting. I've acttually got a b smithi in pre-molt too. Guess I'll save on crix. now the real challenge: keep the other crix from killing each other.

Rabid538

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yea, they molt pretty often when they are small. I had all of my slings molt within a day of each other. The crickets shouldn't kill each other; just give them enough room and some fresh food.

Crispy9168

Arachnopeon
I do. Just after a while, the crix get tired of each other I guess. I had a gecko a while ago and the ones he didn't eat and/or kill right away would always eat each other no matter what. He would always prove more than a match for them tho...

Rabid538

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Crickets are ridiculous, aren't they. Roaches are way more fun to keep. They cause less problems. My gecko only seems to take the crickets though. And there's the problem of them hiding under the newspaper...
What type of gecko did you have?

Crispy9168

Arachnopeon
Ok now this is WIERD. I grabbed the cricket and took it out. It was still alive! It was still writhing and kicking. It's been headless for 8 hours!

---------- Post added 03-05-2011 at 12:03 AM ---------- Previous post was 03-04-2011 at 11:44 PM ----------

Crickets are ridiculous, aren't they. Roaches are way more fun to keep. They cause less problems. My gecko only seems to take the crickets though. And there's the problem of them hiding under the newspaper...
What type of gecko did you have?
leopard. I had him for around 10 years before he died. He was a cool pet :) taratulas are proving awesome too :-D

Rabid538

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok now this is WIERD. I grabbed the cricket and took it out. It was still alive! It was still writhing and kicking. It's been headless for 8 hours!

---------- Post added 03-05-2011 at 12:03 AM ---------- Previous post was 03-04-2011 at 11:44 PM ----------

leopard. I had him for around 10 years before he died. He was a cool pet :) taratulas are proving awesome too :-D
Crickets can live quite a while without their head. Its convenient since the T's like some movement in their prey.
Also, that's awesome. Leopards are pretty sweet.

Crispy9168

Arachnopeon
I offered food once again today on the chance that it was the movement scaring him. it was. He took it and is envenomating it now. But his abdomen is still darkening could it still be pre molt?

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

Oops.... Spoke too soon. He seemed to bite it, and spat it out. He's always a good eater too...

Rabid538

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I offered food once again today on the chance that it was the movement scaring him. it was. He took it and is envenomating it now. But his abdomen is still darkening could it still be pre molt?
Yup, it still could be premolt.