Interesting Hunters

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
So I'm wanting to hear about some awesome attacks and some awesome hunting species...

So far out of all of my Ts, my P. Cam has the most awesome hunting technique and instinct. He's a 1"+, I've rarely seen. He has very little webbing up high but down low under some drift wood he has buried himself and used webbing as a dirt curtain as a hide. Anyways, I can drop a cricket in and he will wait until it nears his hole and I can see the dirt curtain gently sway as he poises to attack then BAM (#RobbC) and cricket and T are gone haha but just dropping the cricket in, you can tell he senses prey immediately, I can open the cage for maintenance and nothing but he knows prey. Also once I shone a light in his cage after dark, he was rolling a bolus up into a ball and I webbing it, as soon as the light hit, he threw the bolus (with an audible this against the enclosure) and disappeared.

P. Cam is awesome!

ronoverdrive

Arachnopeon
I've had mine since it was a .75" inch sling and now its pushing 1.25". Here's what its enclosure looks like now and like yours its an eating machine. I just put mine on a diet because its gotten too fat for its own good and I hope its nearing premolt soon.

Attachments

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
My Nhandu chromatus has probably had some of the best/funniest takedowns, as soon as she got big enough to tackle live prey she became a no-f***s-given ninja assassin.

One of my favourites was when she was randomly sat on the underside of her hide (so she was upside down above her burrow) at feeding time, dropped in the cricket, let it have a wander about, as soon as it got close enough she pounced on it like one of the Xenomorphs from the Alien films and rolled all the way to the bottom of her burrow while struggling with it, it was so funny to watch.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
The funniest kill I've seen was made by an elderly Avicularia avicularia named Twinkle Toes (R.I.P.).

In her cage there were some woody vines that wrapped around each other for her to climb on. Sometimes, she would sit on the glass wall at the top, facing down the vine, to hunt. So I would place a cricket on the vine and prod it to climb up to her, where she would promptly grab it.

Well, one time, Twinkle Toes was so enthusiastic about grabbing the cricket that she overshot it and was dangling from the vine by one leg -- with the cricket in her mouth. A few seconds later, she pulled herself up onto the vine and began eating the cricket.

basin79

ArachnoGod
My favourite to watch hunt is my Idiothele mira. Don't get me wrong I love watching all my T's hunt, but there's just something about "SURPRISE!!!!!!!!!".

nburgmei

Arachnopeon
My A. geniculata gave me a wake-up call one day. As is typical with the species, she likes her food. One day I went to feed her, luckily with tongs, opened the hatch on her lid and before I even knew what was happening she leapt out of the hatch, ripped the Dubia from them, and fell back into her cage. I was...startled. I might have peed a little.

Timc

Arachnosquire
My GBB knows food comes from the top hatch and he has a little trip wire of webbing set up so he can be ready at anytime. Her responses are are always awesome as she usually catches the prey out of the air. Well last week she was so excited she nearly climbed right into the bag I was pouring the crickets from! She would probably have been in heaven since there was still 6 or 7 crickets in there!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I. mira and without a doubt my E. sp Red and E sp Yellows are the most unique hunters I've ever owned.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I won't change my mind but my Caribena versicolor is worth a mention grabbing a flying blue bottle out of the air. I'm sure my pokie girls could do this too but I've never seen them do it.