Interesting dubia behavior

eeyoremd

Arachnopeon
I've started to see some strange activity in my dubia tank. I have a lot of them in a 40 gallon tank. Every now and then, instead of sitting around or eating, the males (and a few females) start running all over the tank at top speed. Some climb onto any high spots and try to fly. It makes quite a racket (though the cats are fascinated). Then, after a couple minutes, they mellow out.
I have a couple theories... mating pheromones, or some signal to disperse to control over population in the area. I have several species of roach, and the dubias are the only ones who do this.

I'm not complaining... I'm fascinated with insect behavior. Does anyone have any ideas what might be going on?

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Most likely, a female just molted to adulthood/ became receptive.

The evidence that I've seen for dispersal theory was when I saw my Eublaberus distanti do it for the first time; The colony was mostly adults and tiny nymphs, my room was hot (90+), and the colony was in a relatively small container. I haven't seen any of my colonies do this "freak out" behavior in a while but if I recall correctly I've seen Blaberus discoidalis, Blaptica dubia, Eublaberus distanti, and Blaberus giganteus (this one was definitely in response to a freshly molted adult female) do it. Must be a Blaberidae thing. :p

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've seen this also, not often though. I heard a thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, ...... All the mature males were trying to make it to the top, running around all over the place, jumping and trying their best to fly out.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have seen this in the summer when it gets hot, and all the females puff their abdomens, I assume signaling they are ready to mate. For species that live more than a year, they seem to have certain times where they are more ready to mate depending on warmer temps. It's crazy with B. Giganteus, as the males if they get out WILL fly away!